Hardest Times quotes

• It smote me to the heart that I had found no one in all the world who loved me more than all others.

• A lot of people want to not wear a tie when they go to a restaurant. They feel they don't have to wear a tie. I think it's kind of a statement they're making. I don't know what that statement is. I haven't quite figured that out yet.

• I have always had plenty of friends, and now at age sixty, I face four walls as a common prisoner.

• Not to create confusion in what is clear, but to throw light on what is obscure.

• I'm forty-nine but I could be twenty-five except for my face and my legs.

• I often think of the space of a page as a stage, with words, letters, syllable characters moving across.

• The thirst after happiness is never extinguished in the heart of man.

• Our Last Will and Testament, providing for the only future of which we can be reasonably certain, namely our own death, shows thatthe Will's need to will is no less strong than Reason's need to think; in both instances the mind transcends its own natural limitations, either by asking unanswerable questions or by projecting itself into a future which, for the willing subject, will never be.

• Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

• If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.