Executioners quotes

• Very little in science fiction can transcend the gimmickry of a technical conceit, yet without that conceit at its heart a book is not truly science fiction. Furthermore, so little emerging thought and technology is employed by sf writers today that the genre is lagging far behind reality both in the cosmology area and the technology area: sf is no longer a place to experiment, but is now very derivative.

• I think Mrs Thatcher did more damage to democracy, equality, internationalism, civil liberties, freedom in this country than any other Prime Minister this century. When the euphoria surrounding her departure subsides you will find that in a year or two's time there will not be a Tory who admits ever supporting her. People in the street will say, thank God she's gone

• I hired top-notch people, trusted them to do their jobs, and then came to grips with the fact that I wouldn't be coaching as much.

• Washington, in fact, had very little private life, but was eminently a public character.

• I really see myself as a homegirl. Wales is my first home. London is my second home - I've been there 14 years now.

• I'm starting to believe in the power of a name. Because it can't be a mistake if I just call it 'change.'

• The internet has grown so tremendously fast in our society. It is the fastest communications technology in the history of the world. (It) grew from almost a dead stop in 1995 to having 80 million users in the United States alone in five years. Nothing has grown that fast.

• My soul knows my meat is doing bad things, and is embarrassed. But my meat just keeps right on doing bad, dumb things.

• The whole business of smoking is like forcing yourself to wear tight shoes just to get the pleasure of taking them off.

• The Blackberry is really essential for keeping up on my emails when I'm out of the office, which is a lot.