Vocalist quotes

• Your youth is the most important thing you will ever have. It's when you will connect to music like a primal urge, and the memories attached to the songs will never leave you. Please hold on to everything. Keep every note, mix tape, concert ticket stub, and memory you have of music from your youth. It'll be the one thing that might keep you young, even if you aren't anymore.

• Anytime you suffer a setback or disappointment, put your head down and plow ahead.

• I didn't realize how different our band's senses of melody actually were. I would write a part that just made perfect sense to me, but for them, it was mind-boggling. Likewise, they could play stuff with relative ease that I never could have. If there was something lost in translation melodically, it wouldn't work at all - we'd just be 17 people in a giant room staring awkwardly at each other. When that happened, I'd go home, figure out what was wrong, fix it, and then return to smooth sailing.

• I think the best and perhaps only sensible policy for the future is to prepare society for change and be prepared to adjust. In 25 years, we'll have a world with some 9 to 10 billion people that will require twice as much primary energy as today. We must embrace new science and technology in a more positive way than we presently do in Europe. This includes, for example, nuclear energy and genetic food production to provide the world what it urgently needs.

• Pakistan produces people of extraordinary bravery. But no nation should ever require its citizens to be that brave.

• Just as Jimmy Stewart and Tyrone Power get 50 percent of the profits, so do I.

• Our union rests upon public opinion, and can never be cemented by the blood of its citizens shed in civil war.

• Families, particularly, tend to be the ones that you take the most for granted. They seem to slip under the radar, all those important things - it almost becomes second nature to do so.

• Men do not attract that which they want, but that which they are.

• Nobody has ever gone broke selling escape to the American public.