Fixing Things quotes

• One of the oddities about responses that you get to what you write, if you get a fair number of them, is that people have very different ideas of what you said.

• The dance lives in all mankind as a necessary motor-rhythmic expression of excess energy and the joy of living.

• Charlie Studd has written me a delightful letter... He thinks the Chinese language was invented by the devil to prevent the Chinese from ever hearing the Gospel properly.

• I don't know if people realize how hard I work, because sometimes people ask me for my secret. The truth is that I don't have any secrets apart from the fact that I've been directing theater and film for twenty years and trying at every stage to make my work better.

• The time the moon is going back, the blood that is in a person does be weakening, but when the moon is strong, the blood that moves strong in the same way. And it to be at the full, it drags the wits along with it, the same as it drags the tide.

• Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error.

• That's how I prepare for anything - I read whatever I can get my hands on, talk to people. I'm a bit of a nerd like that.

• The idea of making [conceptual] art was not a good way to approach things... Instead I saw myself as trying to make something that my relatives could understand.

• The fact of playing an instrument and singing... that I can try to make my dream of singing and becoming a professional musician come true is linked probably to the fact that I traveled a lot, which gave me an open mind and an ability to push my limits.

• There's this old line the wise folks in Washington have that "it's not the crime, but the cover-up." But only fools believe that. It's always about the crime. The whole point of the cover-up is that a full revelation of the underlying crime is not survivable.