Voodoo quotes

• Satan probably wouldn't have talked so big if God had been his wife.

• My father taught me to be independent and cocky and free thinking, but he could not stand it if I disagreed with him.

• Why should I seek for love or study it? It is of God and passes human wit; I study hatred with great diligence, For that's a passion in my own control, A sort of besom that can clear the soul Of everything that is not mind or sense.

• It takes all the fun out of a bracelet if you have to buy it yourself.

• It's a completely powerful and serious book, as good as anything in prose or poetry written by a 'beat' writer, and one of the most alive books written by any American for years. I don't see how it could be considered immoral.

• My dreams and aspirations when I was a child for as long as I can remember was to be an entertainer.

• The first question at that time in poetry was simply the question of honesty, of sincerity.

• To love means you also trust.

• When I go to the cinema, I want to have a cinematic experience. Some people ignore the sound and you end up seeing something you might see on television and it doesn't explore the form. Sound is the other picture. When you show people a rough cut without the sound mix they are often really surprised. Sound creates a completely new world. With dialogue, people say a lot of things they don't mean. I like dialogue when it's used in a way when the body language says the complete opposite. But I love great dialogue I think expositional dialogue is quite crass and not like real life.

• Regarding comments attributed to me in the Los Angeles Times - allegedly made on a bus trip from Germany to Holland in 1998 - I emphatically denounce such comments as false.