Habitat quotes

• Nightside, cities glistened in chains, and a spray of tinkertoy habitats girdled the planet. Gossamer starbridges reached from the equator towards orbit.
    -- Alastair Reynolds

#Cities #Orbit #Habitat

• All over the world there must be far-reaching changes in animal behavior and habitat; if only one could have another life in which to chart it all....Ah, well, that's not a fruitful thing to wish, is it?
    -- Brian Aldiss

#Animal #Wish #Habitat

• We are built to live in the kingdom of God. It is our natural habitat.
    -- Dallas Willard

#Habitat #Kingdoms #Natural

• If you look at the carrying capacity of agricultural areas throughout the world, their ecological habitats are changing. So I think we're looking at - in our lifetime - great collapses of food services.
    -- Dan Barber

#Thinking #Looks #Habitat

• Home is where my habits have a habitat
    -- Fiona Apple

#Home #Habitat #Habit

• So much of the habitat destruction and pollution is based on the simple principle that we somehow have been given free license over other species to degrade the planet.
    -- Greg Graffin

#Simple #Principles #Habitat

• I have worked with Habitat for Humanity for awhile.
    -- Harry Connick, Jr.

#Humanity #Habitat #Habitat For Humanity

• When environments change, they usually do so pretty rapidly, at rates with which adaptation by natural selection would be hard put to keep up. When such change occurs, the quality of your adaptation to your old habitat is irrelevant, and any competitive advantage you might have had may be eliminated at a stroke.
    -- Ian Tattersall

#Quality #Habitat #May

• Agricultural demand for water - probably the largest threat to freshwater species - continues to increase. ... Meanwhile, threats to terrestrial biodiversity - primarily the conversion of habitat to agricultural uses ... - have not diminished.
    -- Indur M. Goklany

#Water #Habitat #Use

• We are surrounded by the absurd excess of the universe. By meaningless bulk, vastness without size, power without consequence. The stubborn iteration that is present without being felt. Nothing the spirit can marry. Merely phenomenon and its physics. An endless, endless of going on. No habitat where the brain can recognize itself. No pertinence for the heart. Helpless duplication.
    -- Jack Gilbert

#Heart #Brain #Habitat

• Conserving habitats is a wellspring for the next industrial revolution.
    -- Janine Benyus

#Habitat #Next #Revolution

• Habitat has opened up unprecedented opportunities for me to cross the chasm that separates those of us who are free, safe, financially secure, well fed and housed, and influential enough to shape our own destiny from our neighbors who enjoy few, if any, of these advantages of life.
    -- Jimmy Carter

#Opportunity #Destiny #Habitat

• The flavor of patriotism depends upon its habitat.
    -- Joseph Smith, Jr.

#Patriotism #Flavor #Habitat

• I've always been such a fan of Habitat for Humanity and the work that they do.
    -- Lea Michele

#Humanity #Fans #Habitat

• Clutter is my natural habitat.
    -- Maggie Stiefvater

#Habitat #Natural #Clutter

• I believe in helping the planet survive, and that includes reaching out to help some of the disappearing creatures whose habitats we're destroying. It's up to us to somehow reverse that trend. I don't know how we'll achieve it, but we need to.
    -- Morgan Freeman

#Believe #Needs #Habitat

• Fungi are the grand recyclers of the planet and the vanguard species in habitat restoration,
    -- Paul Stamets

#Habitat #Restoration #Fungi

• If you care about shorebirds and the habitats they rely on, you can’t do better than supporting Manomet’s Shorebird Recovery Project. It connects, nurtures, prods, and fertilizes, at a global scale.
    -- Phillip Hoose

#Recovery #Habitat #Care

• The natural habitat of the tongue is the left cheek.
    -- Red Smith

#Tongue #Habitat #Natural

• The structure of a software system provides the ecology in which code is born, matures, and dies. A well-designed habitat allows for the successful evolution of all the components needed in a software system.
    -- Richard E. Pattis

#Learning #Successful #Habitat

• The only creature on earth whose natural habitat is a zoo is the zookeeper.
    -- Robert Breault

#Zoos #Animal #Habitat

• What we call 'economic growth' is in fact a growth in waste and a decline in the health of natural habitat
    -- Satish Kumar

#Growth #Habitat #Waste

• Natural selection is just three factors - over-production, variation, and inheritance combined to produce adaptation to changing local environments. It's not a principle or progress; it's just a principle of local adaptation. You don't make better creatures in any cosmic sense; you make creatures that are better suited to the changing climates of their local habitats.
    -- Stephen Jay Gould

#Progress #Three #Habitat

• You have to save the habitat, you have to save the population - not individual animals. What you want to save is the foundation, the basic infrastructure from which resources are produced. You can't save Fifi and Boo-Boo and Thumper.
    -- Ted Nugent

#Animal #Population #Habitat

• The wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will.
    -- Theodore Roosevelt

#Wildlife #Habitat #Speak

• We are facing an enormous crisis in Africa right now in terms of illegal wildlife trafficking, which is decimating animal populations, destroying local economies, and funding armed insurgencies and terrorist syndicates. If we do not find solutions to this crisis now, there will be little habitat left beyond sparse areas of national parks that will serve as glorified zoos to small pockets of remaining animals.
    -- David Jeremiah Barron

#Zoos #Animal #Habitat

• I'd love to see some animals in their natural habitat - as long as those animals are being well looked after.
    -- Greg Rutherford

#Animal #Long #Habitat

• Most of the damage suffered by the ocean up until now has been caused by local insults - overfishing, pollution, and destruction of habitats. If we tackle these problems now, we buy ourselves time to work on climate change.
    -- Nancy Knowlton

#Ocean #Habitat #Damage

• I am never a stranger anywhere I go, and it gives me the opportunity to choose my habitat by literally throwing a dart at a globe. The freedom that permits one to feel welcome where ever the hang their hat cannot be overstated.
    -- Dean Haglund

#Opportunity #Giving #Habitat

• There are never victories in conservation. If you want to save a species or a habitat, it's a fight forevermore. You can never turn your back.
    -- George Schaller

#Fighting #Victory #Habitat

• Whether it's exploring the woods around where I grew up, or even today exploring the coastal habitats and environments where I live in New England, or in a remote wilderness we're featuring in one of my series - I love to be in the field and I love to explore.
    -- Jeff Corwin

#Fields #England #Habitat