Vocal Cords quotes

• Power must never be trusted without a check.

• The world's a nettle; disturb it, it stings: Grasp it firmly, it stings not.

• Give dysgenic groups [people with 'bad genes'] in our population their choice of segregation or [compulsory] sterilization.

• The tiniest dream that you make happen is worth more than the biggest dream that you never attempt.

• God, as some cynic has said, is always on the side which has the best football coach.

• It puzzles me how they know what corners are good for filling stations. Just how did they know gas and oil was under there?

• Consider Ireland.... You have a starving population, an absentee aristocracy, and an alien Church, and in addition the weakest executive in the world. That is the Irish Question.

• My father used to tell me stories before I fell asleep. When the children would gather, at a certain point, I had a tendency to make up my own elementary variations on stories I had heard, or to invent totally new ones.

• The lingering laughter fled from his eyes as he realized that he'd given himself away. "Where's Fiddle now?" "Safe and cared for. Safer than you'll be if you don't answer my questions." Ping. He managed not to laugh, but it looked like a hard fight. "Dung," Makenna muttered. the knight's expression changed to startled disapproval. A prig, as he? Maybe she could use that. "I said you should let me handle this," Cogswhallop told her. "I'd have meant it.

• I knew that if I was going to write a book, I was going to have to read one, too.