Old Habits quotes

• The fight against syphilis demands a fight against prostitution, against prejudices, old habits, against previous conceptions, general views among them not least the false prudery of certain circles. The first prerequisite for even the moral right to combat these things is the facilitation of earlier marriage for the coming generation.
    -- Adolf Hitler

#Religious #Fighting #Old Habits

• What gives value to travel is fear. It is a fact that, at a certain moment, when we are so far from our own country, we are seized by a vague fear and an instinctive desire to go back to the protection of old habits. I look upon it more as an occasion for testing.
    -- Albert Camus

#Country #Travel #Old Habits

• But can one still make resolutions when one is over forty? I live according to twenty-year-old habits.
    -- Andre Gide

#New Year #Years #Old Habits

• Bring the mind into sharp focus and make it alert so that it can immediately intuit truth, which is everywhere. The mind must be emancipated from old habits, prejudices, restrictive thought processes and even ordinary thought itself.
    -- Bruce Lee

#Old Habits #Focus #Mind

• Then one day, we’ll put the reward in the old place, and put in the rat, and, by golloy, the old habit will rememerge right away. habits never really disappear. They’re encoded into the sturctures of our brain, and that’s a huge advantage for us, because it would be awful if we had to relearn how to drive after every vacation. The problem is that your brain can’t tell the difference between bad and good habits, and so if you have a bad one, it’s always lurking there, waiting for the right cues and rewards.
    -- Charles Duhigg

#Vacation #Old Habits #Differences

• If you dress a new something in old habits, it’s easier for the public to accept it.
    -- Charles Duhigg

#Old Habits #Dresses #Accepting

• For a while there, I was a stringer. The expression comes from the old habit of stringing together the column inches that you had written. They'd measure it and pay you 10 cents an inch for your printed copy.
    -- Charles Kuralt

#Expression #Old Habits #Together

• Unless the desire to change remains strong, body and mind tend to return to old, familiar patterns. It takes time-from three to six months-for old habits to become obsolete. By the end of that time, you'll have adapted to a new pattern. In a sense, you'll have found a new way of life.
    -- Dan Millman

#Strong #Old Habits #Mind

• Reality is ultimately a selective act of perception and interpretation. A shift in our perception and interpretation enables us to break old habits and awaken new possibilities for balance, healing, and transformation.
    -- David Simon

#Healing #Reality #Old Habits

• Old habits are strong and jealous.
    -- Dorothea Brande

#Strong #Jealous #Old Habits

• I don't always have the best eating habits. I like butter and ice cream. There are days when I should work out and I don't. But it's never too late to change old habits.
    -- Florence Griffith Joyner

#Ice Cream #Old Habits #Work Out

• The truly creative individual stands ready to abandon old habits and to acknowledge that life, particularly his own unique life, is rich with possibilities.
    -- Frank Baron

#Success #Unique #Old Habits

• I hollowed out, stopped listening to music, never picked up a pencil, started slipping into old habits. All of the vibrancy I used to see became de-saturated. Lost Slowly, once I had done enough damage to myself, I began to climb out of the hole. Clean. When I made it out, the only thing left inside was the voice, and for the second time in my life, I no longer ignored it - because it was my own.
    -- Gerard Way

#Old Habits #Voice #Listening

• You will stumble at time, forget what you want, fall headfirst into your old habits and beliefs. Fear not! Always remember to be patient and loving with yourself and others because that is what God does all the time.
    -- Iyanla Vanzant

#Fall #Old Habits #Doe

• We need a repeated discipline, a genuine training, in order to let go of our old habits of mind and to find and sustain a new way of seeing.
    -- Jack Kornfield

#Letting Go #Buddhism #Old Habits

• As we follow a genuine path of practice, our sufferings may seem to increase because we no longer hide from them or from ourselves. When we do not follow the old habits of fantasy and escape, we are left facing the actual problems and contradictions of our life.
    -- Jack Kornfield

#Practice #Old Habits #Suffering

• To understand a new idea, break an old habit.
    -- Jean Toomer

#Ideas #Old Habits #Habit

• If you take a look at Afghan history, usually they have united to defend against an outside enemy, and as soon as that's accomplished, they turn and start killing each other. This internal instability is a constant invitation to outside forces to come in. I have to think that after the awful years of the Taliban, most Afghans would want to remain at peace, and get the benefits of the new freedom they've found. But I can't be sure that old habits won't reassert themselves.
    -- Lawrence Eagleburger

#Thinking #Old Habits #Years

• The need of the human mind for contrast has its roots in the mind's age-old habit of looking for differences and likenesses. When the mind can find no differences and no likenesses, as is the case when monotony is present, it restlessly, then resentfully, and at last frantically seeks for contrast that it may again busy itself with observing differences and likenesses.
    -- Maren Elwood

#Roots #Old Habits #Differences

• Old habits die hard, I guess.  If you dont kick them, they kick you.
    -- Mel Gibson

#Old Habits #Habit #Kicks

• old habits are hard to break, but not impossible!
    -- Pearl Cleage

#Old Habits #Impossible #Habit

• Old habits are hard to forget, and old fears are habits.
    -- Raymond E. Feist

#Old Habits #Forget #Habit

• For all my good intentions, there are days when things go wrong or I fall into old habits. When things are not going well, when I'm grumpy or mad, I'll realize that I've not been paying attention to my soul and I've not been following my best routine.
    -- Robert Fulghum

#Fall #Old Habits #Mad

• It is an old habit with theologians to beat the living with the bones of the dead.
    -- Robert Green Ingersoll

#Old Habits #Bones #Beats

• As you learn to consciously observe the transformation process, you will watch yourself repeating a lot of old patterns long after you seemingly know better. Spiritually and intellectually, you realize there is another way, but emotionally you are still clinging to the old habits. This is a difficult time. Try to be patient and compassionate with yourself. When you recognize the futility of an old pattern so clearly, it's about to change! A short time later, you will suddenly begin to respond differently, in a more positive way.
    -- Shakti Gawain

#Old Habits #Long #Trying

• To be perfectly honest the old habits, specifically deadlines, still very much inform what I do. I am brutally disciplined about getting manuscripts in on time.
    -- Simon Winchester

#Old Habits #Honest #Deadline

• Some rules are nothing but old habits that people are afraid to change.
    -- Therese Anne Fowler

#Old Habits #People #Habit

• You leave old habits behind by starting out with the thought, 'I release the need for this in my life'.
    -- Wayne Dyer

#Inspirational #Motivational #Old Habits

• A person who wills to have a good will, already has a good will--in its rudiments. There is solid satisfaction in knowing that the mere desire to get out of an old habit is a material advance upon the condition of submergence in that habit. The longest step toward cleanliness is made when one gains--nothing but dissatisfaction with dirt.
    -- William Ernest Hocking

#Old Habits #Knowing #Desire

• I think everyone remembers how certain Russian bureaucrats used to work against the Ukrainian opposition; I think it is hard to drop old habits.
    -- Yulia Tymoshenko

#Thinking #Old Habits #Remember

• O-o-old habits die hard when you got, when you got a sentimental heart Piece of the puzzle, you're my missing part Oh what can you do with a sentimental heart?
    -- Zooey Deschanel

#Life #Heart #Old Habits

• When it comes to breaking old habits and starting new ones, remember to be patient with yourself. If you've spent twenty, thirty, or forty years or more repeating the behaviors you're now trying to change, you've got to expect it's going to take time and effort before you see lasting results.
    -- Darren Hardy

#Years #Old Habits #Effort

• Old habits eat good intentions for lunch. Change your habits so you can change your outcomes.
    -- Darren Hardy

#Lunch #Old Habits #Outcomes