Ender quotes

• Of the two smartest creatures on the earth, man and the dolphin, each thought they were smarter than the other. Man thought he was smarter because he built many things and did much work, while the dolphins just played all day. The dolphins thought they were smarter for the same reason.

• Innocence and optimism have one basic failing: they have no fundamental depth.

• The saving grace of the cinema is that with patience, and a little love, we may arrive at that wonderfully complex creature which is called man.

• The power you have over someone who loves you is greater than any other power you'll ever have.

• We take pictures because we can't accept that everything passes, we can't accept that the repetition of a moment is an impossibility. We wage a monotonous war against our own impending deaths, against time that turns children into that other, lesser species: adults. We take pictures because we know we will forget. We will forget the week, the day, the hour. We will forget when we were happiest. We take pictures out of pride, a desire to have the best of ourselve preserved. We fear that we will die and others will not know we lived.

• That's the beauty of life, the uncertainty that we experience, literally, as we go about our day-to-day activities. We're not certain of anything, so fear comes up very often. Fear comes naturally.

• Physical pain is not a simple affair of an impulse, travelling at a fixed rate along a nerve. It is the resultant of a conflict between a stimulus and the whole individual.

• The only good thing you ever said was goodbye.

• Before I started chemotherapy treatments, I wrote down the best advice from doctors, family, friends, books, and survivors and created an 'Owner's Manual' to help me take care of myself. It would remind me that cancer is doable.

• I needed to be in the bush. There I find solitude and beauty and purity and focus. That's where my heart lies.