Pseudoscience quotes

• If we teach only the findings and products of science - no matter how useful and even inspiring they may be - without communicating its critical method, how can the average person possibly distinguish science from pseudoscience?
    -- Carl Sagan

#Pain #Average #Pseudoscience

• Pseudoscience describes theories that sound like science but are actually just made up, like aromatherapy or biorhythms or love.
    -- Craig Ferguson

#Aromatherapy #Sound #Pseudoscience

• Inspect every piece of pseudoscience and you will find a security blanket.
    -- Isaac Asimov

#Pseudoscience #Pieces #Blanket

• Is climate change pseudoscience? If I'm going to answer the question, the answer is: absolutely.
    -- Ivar Giaever

#Climate #Pseudoscience #Answers

• Racists have often used pseudoscience to justify their socially damaging views; watch these films to see how science, by replacing ignorance with knowledge, can undo that damage.
    -- James D. Watson

#Ignorance #Views #Pseudoscience

• I bought it, I read it, and I heeded its advice. I remain unabducted.
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

#Advice #Pseudoscience

• I'm a fan of the planets in any combination. When I was born, Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, the Sun, and the Moon were all in the sky.
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

#Moon #Sky #Pseudoscience

• The persistent failures of controlled, double-blind experiments to support the claims of parapsychology suggest that what's going on is nonsense rather than sixth sense.
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

#Support #Pseudoscience #Blind

• Pseudoscience is like a virus. At low levels, it's no big deal, but when it reaches a certain threshold it becomes sickening.
    -- Phil Plait

#Levels #Viruses #Pseudoscience

• Isaac Asimov's remark about the infantilism of pseudoscience is just as applicable to religion: 'Inspect every piece of pseudoscience and you will find a security blanket, a thumb to suck, a skirt to hold.' It is astonishing, moreover, how many people are unable to understand that 'X is comforting' does not imply 'X is true'.
    -- Richard Dawkins

#People #Comforting #Pseudoscience

• Psychiatry is a pseudoscience.... You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do...Matt, Matt, Matt, Matt, Matt, Matt, you don't even -you're glib. You don't even know what Ritalin is.
    -- Tom Cruise

#Hilarious #Ritalin #Pseudoscience

• The dissemination of pseudoscience, including such things as the fascination with near-death experiences and the growing belief by Americans -- 34 percent of them -- in reincarnation are dangerous. They help to break down the standards of reason.
    -- Wendy Kaminer

#Pseudoscience #Growing #Fascination

• "Hello" is pseudoscience. The only smart way to read it is not to believe in it, not to trust it, or to put yourself in it and imagine what's out there that you haven't been told or seen.
    -- Aleksandra Mir

#Smart #Believe #Pseudoscience

• Chiropractic, which celebrated its centennial in 1995, is a curious mixture of science and pseudoscience, sense and nonsense. Much of it is based on the theory that misaligned spinal bones produce nerve interference that causes disease. Many chiropractors claim that correcting these misalignments ("subluxations") can restore health and that regular spinal adjustments are essential to maintain it.
    -- Samuel Homola

#Pain #Essentials #Pseudoscience

• Even philosophies who have denounced pseudosciences like psychoanalysis, have condoned pseudoscientific economic theories like neoclassical microeconomics. It is far safer and easier to criticize Freud and Jung than to criticize Milton Friedman and Friedrich Hayek, because the latter are backed by political movements whereas the former are not.
    -- Mario Bunge

#Philosophy #Political #Pseudoscience