Keeping It Real quotes

• There are no strangers in Freemasonry, only friends you've yet to meet.

• The best thing a human being can do is to help another human being know more.

• I'm tempted to say, 'Writing treatments is like designing a film by hiring six million monkeys to tear out pages of an encyclopedia, then you put the pages through a paper-shredder, randomly grab whatever intact lines are left, sing them in Italian to a Spanish deaf-mute, and then make story decisions with the guy via conference call.' But no... compared to writing treatments, that makes sense, too.

• This is a short book because most books about writing are filled with bullshit.

• It [fiction] allows us to see the world from the point of view of someone else and there has been quite a lot of neurological research that shows reading novels is actually good for you. It embeds you in society and makes you think about other people. People are certainly better at all sorts of things if they can hold a novel in their heads. It is quite a skill, but if you can't do it then you're missing out on something in life. I think you can tell, when you meet someone, whether they read novels or not. There is some little hollowness if they don't.

• Adiós," she added in Spanish, "I have no house only a shadow. But whenever you are in need of a shadow, my shadow is yours." "Thank you." "Sank you." "Not sank you, Señora Gregorio, thank you." "Sank you.

• In the political world, the only position I have is voter. I'm not a spokesman for anything.

• Dancing is still the hardest profession. Gene Kelly said dancing is a man’s game Women have to do the same thing in heels, and have to sing and smile at the same time. Professional athletes don’t even have to do that – and they get to wear sneakers.

• All I can do is play the game the way the cards fall.

• There are people looking for exactly what you have to offer, and you are being brought together on the checkerboard of life.