Bebop quotes

• Bebop was like humming along to Mitch Miller to me.
    -- Albert Ayler

#Music #Bebop #Jazz

• I still prefer the bebop of the '40s. The very stuff I started out with is still the best to me. I have come full circle.
    -- Carla Bley

#Circles #Bebop #Full Circle

• Most of what I listen to now is mainstream jazz from 1935 right up to and including early bebop and cool jazz.
    -- Dave Van Ronk

#Heart #Bebop #Jazz

• I can take any series of numbers and turn it into music, from Bach to bebop, Herbie Hancock to hip-hop,
    -- Donald Byrd

#Numbers #Hip Hop #Bebop

• Basically my influences have been American influences. It's been blues, gospel, swing era music, bebop music, Broadway show music, classical music. It's like making a stew. You put all these various ingredients in it. You season it with this. You put that in it. You put the other in it. You mix it all up and it comes out something neat, something that you created.
    -- Horace Silver

#Music #Swings #Bebop

• [Bebop is] Chinese music.
    -- Louis Armstrong

#Chinese #Bebop #Jazz

• What makes bebop legitimate is the fact that when it was done, it was illegitimate.
    -- Matthew Shipp

#Music #Bebop #Done

• You don't see the European classical musicians allowing the music of Bach, Brahms, or Beethoven to become extinct. That music has gone on for centuries and centuries. We have the same obligation. Why do we have to become so 'hip' that we can say, 'Bebop is square,' or "New Orleans is square'? This, to me, is a shame.
    -- Rahsaan Roland Kirk

#Squares #New Orleans #Bebop

• I can't imagine my life without the extraordinary bebop jazz revolution in New York in late '40s and '50s.
    -- Robert Wyatt

#New York #Bebop #Revolution

• Bebop has set music back twenty years.
    -- Tommy Dorsey

#Years #Bebop #Twenties

• In those days before hearing Charlie Parker and Dizzy, and before learning of the so-called bebop era--by the way, I have some thoughts about that word, "bebop"--my first jazz hero ever, jazz improvisor hero, was Lester Young. I was a big "Lester Young-oholic," and all of my buddies were Lester Young-oholics. We'd get together and dissect, analyze, discuss, and listen to Lester Young's solos for hours and hours and hours. He was our god.
    -- J. J. Johnson

#Hero #Together #Bebop

• Musically, the bebop route was magnificent, but businesswise, it was the dumbest thing I ever did.
    -- Woody Herman

#Money #Bebop #Magnificent