Entanglement quotes

• There is a risk of death associated with donating a piece of liver. It's about one in 500 for the risk of death. The risk of death of donating a kidney is about one in 3000, so this is a riskier operation than donating a kidney. The stakes are usually higher for the recipient of the transplant because unlike kidney failure, where you have a dialysis machine, in liver failure we don't have that kind of machine that allows a patient to survive until they can get a cadaver organ.

• Forty years as an astronomer have not quelled my enthusiasm for lying outside after dark, staring up at the stars. It isn't only the beauty of the night sky that thrills me. It's the sense I have that some of those points of light are the home stars of beings not so different from us, daily cares and all, who look across space with wonder, just as we do.

• Measure what is measurable, and make measurable what is not so.

• The military is a very cool world to write about. I went down to Ft. Benning, Ga., for military training, and I learned a lot about soldiers and officers and why they joined up and what their life has been like.

• I believe democracy will succeed in Tunisia, but I also believe that it will succeed in the other Arab Spring countries.

• Unplanned pregnancy is an equal-opportunity affliction.

• ... the stomach is near the heart and one appetite ***** on another.

• Nothing is sadder than love left unheard.

• Our souls are getting older and we're tired of doing things the same old way. We want to find some real solutions.

• Impertinence will intermeddle in things in which it has no concern, showing a want of breeding, or, more commonly, a spirit of sheer impudence.