Keeping Promises quotes

• I know it is a bad thing to break a promise, but I think now that it is a worse thing to let a promise break you.
    -- Jennifer Donnelly

#Thinking #Keeping Promises #Promise

• Most of us are pretty good at keeping promises to others and pretty bad at keeping promises to ourselves.
    -- Lawrence LeShan

#Keeping Promises #Promise

• Making promises to myself, in my personal writing practice, has been important to me all my life. In practical application it is so much easier for me to make promises to others, and keep them, than it is to make promises to myself. "Why is that?" and the answer I gave myself is that in making promises to others I create a model of accountability and reinforcement. I duplicate that in my writing and have grown increasingly better at making and keeping promises to myself.
    -- Mary Anne Radmacher

#Writing #Practice #Keeping Promises

• The 'Inside-Out' approach to personal and interpersonal effectiveness means to start first with self; even more fundamentally, to start with the most inside part of self, with your paradigms, your character, and your motives. The inside-out approach says that private victories precede public victories, that making and keeping promises to ourselves recedes making and keeping promises to others. It says it is futile to put personality ahead of character, to try to improve relationships with others before improving ourselves.
    -- Stephen Covey

#Character #Mean #Keeping Promises

• Integrity is conforming reality to our words - in other words, keeping promises and fulfilling expectations.
    -- Stephen Covey

#Integrity #Reality #Keeping Promises

• When a man repeats a promise again and again, he means to fail you.
    -- Edmund Fuller

#Mean #Men #Keeping Promises

• Don't make promises you can't keep.
    -- Howard Bryant

#Cheating #Keeping Promises #Broken Promises

• Promise is most given when the least is said.
    -- George Chapman

#Keeping Promises #Kept Promises #Said

• There are no limits to either time or distance, except as man himself may make them. I have but to touch the wind to know these things.

• Knowing yourself lets you understand others.

• It is said that what is called "the spirit of an age" is something to which one cannot return. That this spirit gradually dissipates is due to the world's coming to an end. For this reason, although one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation.

• Know what your sin is and confess it; but do not imagine that you have approved yourself a penitent by confessing sin in the abstract.

• If you do not understand what God's present claims over you are, you may depend upon it that as days of testing come on you will not be able to keep your footing.

• If you don't generate tension in the film to begin with... you can't really make a purse out of a sow's ear, you know.

• It's not true that voting doesn't make a difference. To check out is political suicide. This is especially true for our young black artists. You don't want to inadvertently end up doing someone's bidding.

• The plain truth is we are going to die. Here I am, a teeny spec surrounded by boundless space and time, arguing with the whole of creation, shaking my fist, sputtering, growing even eloquent at times, and then-poof! I am gone. Swept off once and for all. I think that is very, very funny.

• The only achievement I am really proud of is the friends I have made in this community.

• I have always been a reader; I have read at every stage of my life, and there has never been a time when reading was not my greatest joy