Footnotes quotes

• Civilization is the art of living in towns of such size the everyone does not know everyone else.

• Just send the emails and talk to people. Spend all your money on nail polish and opera tickets.

• Silence is so steadfast, you know. It is so ample, after all.

• My father is actually a quarry man - he deals in stone. He also at one point had a lot of sheep, he owned a sheep farm, but primarily the family business was in stone.

• Sometimes there are customers who get in difficulty because of situations that are out of their control. These are customers with genuine needs, and the role of the bank is to accommodate these customers, and there is a real need to reschedule the loans of these customers.

• Attaining lasting happiness requires that we enjoy the journey on our way toward a destination we deem valuable. Happiness is not about making it to the peak of the mountain nor is it about climbing aimlessly around the mountain; happiness is the experience of climbing toward the peak.

• I believe the Rolling Stones wanted to play in Golden Gate Park.

• If you take a flower to Mars, for example, the hostility of Mars probably won't allow the flower to live without oxygen. The process of being an artist, for someone who wasn't born in an arts-centric environment - I came from the Bahamas, where there's not a historic tradition of art-making, at least from the Western prospective - in a way is kind of an alien concept.

• The eternal sea of politics is best left to politicians.

• I believe that I'm entitled to regard my pre-political life as off-limits in terms of what can be looked at and judged.