Playing With Fire quotes

• I tell my students there is such a thing as 'writer's block,' and they should respect it. You shouldn't write through it. It's blocked because it ought to be blocked, because you haven't got it right now.

• ANARCHY, or the government of each man by himself or as the English say, self -government.

• If you do a musical, it's really thrilling and it's a lot of work, but it's very rewarding. I would say, for me, what I like best is what I do, which is, I call it vaudeville, I call it live, I call it in concert, I call it what Bette Midler does, and what Garland did for years, and Ethel Merman.

• ... a woman who has been a nun is never anything else.

• Machine intelligence of a human nature could be a century away, and immortality is at least a millennium away, if not unattainable altogether.

• Content's a kingdom, and I wear that crown.

• Education is the only solution for peace.

• Of what use are laws, inoperative through public immortality? [Lat., Quid leges sine moribus Vanae proficiunt?]

• Just write every day of your life. Read intensely.

• How well I know with what burning intensity you live. You have experienced many lives already, including several you have shared with me- full rich lives from birth to death, and you just have to have these rest periods in between.