Cairo quotes

• Our intention to regard the closing of the Straits as a casus belli was communicated...to the foreign ministers of those states which had supported international navigation in the Straits in 1957 and thereafter. There can be no doubt that these warnings reached Cairo. One thing was now clear. If Nasser imposed a blockade, the explosion would ensue not from 'miscalculation', but from an open-eyed and conscious readiness for war.
    -- Abba Eban

#War #Doubt #Cairo

• My dad was a diplomat and after living in America, where I was born, he was posted to Cairo.
    -- Arabella Weir

#Dad #America #Cairo

• When I lived in South Africa, someone told me what the longest road in Africa is. It's not the road from Cairo to Capetown, it's the way from your head to your heart, and from there to the here and now.
    -- Bert Hellinger

#Heart #Cairo #Way

• The lesson I learned in Cairo still applies. The only way to deal with bureaucrats is with stealth and sudden violence.
    -- Boutros Boutros-Ghali

#Cairo #Lessons #Way

• Yes,' Spade growled. 'And when you're slapped you'll take it and like it.' He released Cairo's wrist and with a thick open hand struck the side of his face three times savagely.
    -- Dashiell Hammett

#Hands #Three #Cairo

• Joel Cairo: You always have a very smooth explanation ready. Sam Spade: What do you want me to do, learn to stutter?
    -- Dashiell Hammett

#Want #Cairo #Smooth

• Each new Clarice, compact as a living body with its smells and its breath, shows off, like a gem, what remains of the ancient Clarices, fragmentary and dead.
    -- Italo Calvino

#Smell #Cairo #Body

• I am convinced that our people are now on the way to establishing a Palestinian state. The agreement signed in Cairo is the first step in establishing the state, and therefore it should be implemented.
    -- Yasser Arafat

#Agreement #People #Cairo

• A successful man has the following qualities: A smile that doesn't die; patience; fearless mind; love; self- confidence; love for everybody.

• This religion and the Bible require of woman everything, and give her nothing. They ask her support and her love, and repay her with contempt and oppression.

• You are alive today, and no matter what your condition, make a mark here and now. Opportunity is at every moment, seizing it is pleasure.

• As frightening as this may sound, what you see in the books is the way I see the world. And so far I haven't seen anything, either in Florida or elsewhere, to dissuade me from it.

• It is a feature of human nature to give what we most wish to receive.

• In regard to dogs, my most memorable thoughts concern my daughter's dog and her fondness for them. In fact, one day while working at the office, she hosted a birthday party for one of her Newfoundlands and the party was attended by dogs of other coworkers. It was a hectic few hours, but I believe the guests enjoyed themselves.

• Once you make up your mind never to stand waiting and hesitating when your conscience tells you what you ought to do, and you have got the key to every blessing that a sinner can reasonably hope for.

• Revisionism is a healthy historiographical process, and no one, not even revisionists, should be exempt from it.

• We have to reserve the right to bomb the niggers.

• I feel, holding books, accommodating their weight and breathing their dust, an abiding love. I trust them, in a way that I can't trust my computer, though I couldn't do without it. Books are matter. My books matter. What would I have done through these years without the library and all its lovely books?