Erring quotes

• It is better to advise than upbraid, for the one corrects the erring; the other only convicts them.
    -- Epictetus

#Advice #Upbraid #Erring

• But if the young are never tired of erring in conduct, neither are the older in erring of judgment.
    -- Fanny Burney

#Tired #Erring #Aging

• God knew what we were before conversion - wicked, guilty, and defiled; yet He loved us. He knows what we will be after conversion - weak, erring, and frail; yet He loves us.
    -- J. C. Ryle

#Wicked #Erring #Guilty

• I have never regretted erring on the side of withholding information.
    -- Mindy Kaling

#Erring #Information #Sides

• An erring colleague is not an Amalkite to be smitten hip and thigh.
    -- R. H. Tawney

#Erring #Hips #Smitten

• To follow imperfect, uncertain, or corrupted traditions, in order to avoid erring in our own judgment, is but to exchange one danger for another.
    -- Richard Whately

#Order #Erring #Imperfect

• If you give me your attention, I will tell you what I am: I'm a genuine philanthropist--all other kinds are sham. Each little fault of temper and each social defect In my erring fellow creatures, I endeavor to correct.
    -- W. S. Gilbert

#Giving #Erring #Littles

• The ancient God created the old man, capable of erring--thus he erred himself.
    -- Yevgeny Zamyatin

#Men #Erring #Ancient

• Sometimes markets err big time. Markets erred when they gave America Online the currency to buy Time Warner. They erred when they bet against George Soros and for the British pound. And they are erring right now by continuing to float along as if the most significant credit bubble history has ever seen does not exist. Opportunities are rare, and large opportunities on which one can put nearly unlimited capital to work at tremendous potential returns are even more rare. Selectively shorting the most problematic mortgage-backed securities in history today amounts to just such an opportunity.
    -- Michael Burry

#Opportunity #America #Erring

• The Writer's Oath I promise solemnly: 1. to write as often and as much as I can, 2. to respect my writing self, and 3. to nurture the writing of others. I accept these responsibilities and shall honor them always.

• When I first got into this biz called show, I decided I was going to change my name, make it more Hollywood. And you know how you do that? You take your middle name and the first street that you ever lived on. So when I first started, I actually went by Sue Rural Route 2.

• My first career ambitions involved turning into a boy; I intended to be either a railway guard or a knight errant.

• Addie, please." More tears dripped down her cheeks. "Don't be so hard." "Oh, please," I muttered...and that was as far as I got. 'You broke my heart' were the words that had risen to my mouth, but I couldn't say them. That was what you said to a boyfriend, a lover, not your best friend. She'd laugh. And I'd had enough of being laughed at. I'd worked hard to get to a place where it didn't happen anymore, where I didn't move through life like a walking target, where it was just me and my paints and brushes and my big empty bed every night. "You weren't a good friend," I said instead.

• So it shall be written. So it shall be done.

• all theology knowingly or not is by definition always engaged for or against the oppressed.

• To each his suff'rings; all are men, Condemn'd alike to groan,- The tender for another's pain, Th' unfeeling for his own. Yet ah! why should they know their fate, Since sorrow never comes too late, And happiness too swiftly flies? Thought would destroy their paradise. No more; where ignorance is bliss, 'T is folly to be wise.

• Art exists because life is not enough.

• A gentleman's first characteristic is that fineness of structure in the body which renders it capable of the most delicate sensation; and of structure in the mind which renders it capable of the most delicate sympathies; one may say simply "fineness of nature.

• I am happy I have competition. It keeps me on my toes all the while and stops me from becoming complacent. So, it works to my advantage.