All Black famous quotes

Last updated: Jul 22, 2024

• I would be copping out if I stayed in the myth of the '60s.

• When you start a rock n' roll band, you've gotta fake it till you make it. You begin by doin' what you love- and what you love is usually what some other people have already done. It just depends on how much of a fool you make of yourself along the way to finding your own sound, assuming you find it.

• Maybe that is the power of poetry. It somehow transcends news cycles, and becomes a part of our collective imagination. That is the beauty of the art form I like to play with.

• Part of the reason you see so little about this in the Western media is that Iraq was closed off from the outside world for so long under Saddam. But I think there's a deeper reason, which is that it messes with our assumptions - not just about Iraq, but about culture and human nature.

• I was quite happy with the way I went, I think.

• A good man who did a bad thing.

• As a black actress you've got to work doubly hard. But it doesn't ever get me to the point where I give up on myself. It just motivates me to be more prepared, focus and disciplined. That's why I care so much about doing black films and making sure that we represent and are represented correctly.

• Often the thought of pain is actually worse that the pain itself.

• It's impossible to work under conditions where they confused negativity with objectivity. You can't fool the fans.

• I don't think being an athlete is unfeminine. I think of it as a kind of grace.