Arbiter famous quotes

Last updated: Sep 5, 2024

• The difficulty with color is to go beyond the fact that it's color ? to have it be not just a colorful picture but really be a picture about something. It's difficult. So often color gets caught up in color, and it becomes merly decorative. Some photographers use it brilliantly to make visual statements combining color and content; otherwise it is empty.

• I like to draw late at night when the house is quiet.

• My counsel to entrepreneurs is to 'own' a region, 'own' a market, 'own' a segment. Create something you can defend. Don't get hung up on the idea that you have to go national.

• You can't get a bad picture out of Bacall. There's nothing eccentric about her. She's perfect all over and yet she looks like nobody else.

• Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares.

• I was keen to challenge this vernacular as the role of the photojournalist was changing, and images were becoming urgent and more succinctly linguistic. This is why I moved to publishing artists who were challenging the veracity of both the medium and the profession through their works.

• I hate that word 'hate' - it should be banned.

• I know the fashion is that everything is fair game [for comedy material] but I don't believe that.

• You don't tell someone who's mentally ill or struggling, who's having a low time in their lives, to harden up, because it doesn't work.

• I think I became a Catholic to annoy my father.