Oracles quotes

• Experience is the oracle of truth; and where its responses are unequivocal, they ought to be conclusive and sacred.
    -- Alexander Hamilton

#Oracles #Sacred #Unequivocal

• There was a time when we were told . . . that a sense of common interest would preside over the conduct of the respective members...This language at the present day would appear as wild as that great part of what we now hear from the same quarter will be thought, when we shall have received further lessons from that best oracle of wisdom, experience.
    -- Alexander Hamilton

#Public Opinion #Oracles #Lessons

• Andre Breton once said that a portrait should not only be an image but an oracle one questions, and that the photographer's aim should be a profound likeness, which physically and morally predicts the subject's entire future.
    -- Bill Brandt

#Profound #Portraits #Oracles

• SAP is becoming the standard for business software. Oracle is in a state of chaos.
    -- Bill Vaughan

#Sap #Oracles #Becoming

• Nero wasn't worried at all when he heard the utterance of the Delphic Oracle: "Beware the age of seventy-three." Plenty of time to enjoy himself still. He's thirty. The deadline the god has given him is quite enough to cope with future dangers.
    -- C.P. Cavafy

#Age #Three #Oracles

• When women reassert their relationship with the wildish nature, they are gifted with a permanent and internal watcher, a knower, a visionary, an oracle, an inspiratrice, an intuitive, a maker, a creator, an inventor, and a listener who guide, suggest, and urge vibrant life in the inner and outer world.
    -- Clarissa Pinkola Estes

#Visionaries #Oracles #World

• I certainly don't think we [The Elders organization] are oracles but I would hope that over our lifetimes we have accumulated some useful experience and perhaps even a modicum of wisdom! We don't have all the answers.
    -- Desmond Tutu

#Thinking #Organization #Oracles

• No infallible oracle out of the breast.
    -- Frederic Henry Hedge

#Oracles #Breasts #Conscience

• We are not to make the Torah into God Himself, nor the Bible into a "paper pope." The Bible is only the result of the Word of God. We can experience the return of the Word of God in the here and now, the perpetual return of the actual, living, indisputable Word of God that makes possible the act of witnessing, but we should never think of the Bible as any sort of talisman or oracle constantly at our disposal that we need only open and read to be in relation to the Word of God and God Himself.
    -- Jacques Ellul

#Biblical #Thinking #Oracles

• When the Lilliputians first saw Gulliver's watch, that "wonderful kind of engine...a globe, half silver and half of some transparent metal," they identified it immediately as the god he worshiped. After all, "he seldom did anything without consulting it: he called it his oracle, and said it pointed out the time for every action in his life." To Jonathan Swift in 1726 that was worth a bit of satire. Modernity was under way. We're all Gullivers now. Or are we Yahoos?
    -- James Gleick

#Oracles #Half #Way

• Dr. Johnson has said that the chief glory of a country arises from its authors. But then that is only as they are oracles of wisdom; unless they teach virtue, they are more worthy of a halter than of the laurel.
    -- Jane Porter

#Country #Drs #Oracles

• Building Oracle is like doing math puzzles as a kid.
    -- Larry Ellison

#Kids #Math #Oracles

• I'm a librarian, not an oracle.
    -- Libba Bray

#Oracles #Librarian

• Man's conscience is the oracle of God.
    -- Lord Byron

#Men #Oracles #Conscience

• Beauty is the oracle that speaks to us all.
    -- Luis Barragan

#Oracles #Speak

• Again Mariner and Butcher are trying to work the oracle on the near post
    -- Martin Tyler

#Soccer #Trying #Oracles

• I despise the proper constructions and cases, because I think it very unfitting that the words of the celestial oracle should be restricted by the rules of Donatus [a well-known grammarian].
    -- Pope Gregory I

#Thinking #Scary #Oracles

• Scratching people where they itch and addressing their 'felt needs' is a stratagem of the poor steward of the oracles of God. This was the recipe for success for the false prophets of the Old Testament.
    -- R. C. Sproul

#People #Needs #Oracles

• This great oracle of the East India Company himself admits that, if there is no power vested in the Court of Directors but that of the patronage, there is really no government vested in them at all.
    -- Richard Cobden

#Government #East #Oracles

• We have built no temple but the Capitol. We consult no common oracle but the Constitution.
    -- Rufus Choate

#Temples #Oracles #Common

• The Delphic Oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone of all the Greeks know that I know nothing.
    -- Socrates

#Wisdom #Greek #Oracles

• So, what you can do in Microsoft Word is what Bill Gates has decided. What you can do in Oracle Database is what Larry Ellison and his crew have decided.
    -- Ted Nelson

#Bills #Databases #Oracles

• One of the nuisances of the ballot is that when the oracle has spoken you never know what it means.
    -- Robert Cecil, 3rd Marquess of Salisbury

#Mean #Nuisance #Oracles

• Many physicists these days sound like the Delphic oracle - with equations.
    -- John Twelve Hawks

#Sound #Oracles #These Days