Hunches quotes

• Resolve was never stronger than in the morning, after the night, when it was never weaker

• It was important on The Shipping News to have my house far enough away from each location so I had this time in the morning to think about my shots and still remain open to surprises once I got to the set.

• A lady is as young as the gentleman she feels," said Roy and cackled happily.

• Why do Americans find government so baffling and irritating-even though many of us depend on public programs for a secure retirement, an affordable mortgage, or a college loan? In this timely and important book, political scientist Suzanne Mettler explains how the United States has come to rely on hidden, indirect policies that privilege special interests but puzzle regular citizens. American democracy can do better, and she shows how. Politicians and the public alike have much to learn from her brilliant and engaging analysis.

• You know, entertainment is just a curtain at the end of the day.

• There won’t be any more white folks around who think the 1950s were the good old days, because there won’t be any more white folks around who actually remember them...

• You're either too fat or too thin. You just can't win.

• Considering the very close genetic relationship that has been established by comparison of biochemical properties of blood proteins, protein structure and DNA, and immunological responses, the differences between a man and a chimpanzee are more astonishing than the resemblances.

• When you have two people, separate beings, trying to share one life together. That's always going to have difficulties.

• I used to think mercy meant showing kindness to someone who didn't deserve it, as if only the recipient defined the act. The girl in between has learned that mercy is defined by its giver. Our flaws are obvious, yet we are loved and able to love, if we choose, because there is that bit of the divine still smoldering in us.