Oedipus quotes

• The two greatest plays ever written were Hamlet and Oedipus Rex, and they're both about father-son relationships.
    -- Arthur Miller

#Father #Son #Oedipus

• I pity the young woman who will attempt to insinuate herself between my mama's boy and me. I sympathize with the monumental nature of her task. It will take a crowbar, two bulldozers and half a dozen Molotov cocktails to pry my Oedipus and me loose from one another.
    -- Ayelet Waldman

#Boys #Oedipus #Two

• What we were trying to do was take the notion of Greek tragedy, of fated and doomed people, and instead of these Olympian gods, indifferent, venal, selfish, hurling lightning bolts and hitting people in the ***** for no reason—instead of those guys whipping it on Oedipus or Achilles, it’s the postmodern institutions . . . those are the indifferent gods.
    -- David Simon

#Selfish #Oedipus #People

• Psychoanalysts are bent on producing man abstractly, that is to say ideologically, for culture. It is Oedipus who produces man in this fashion and who gives a structure to the false movement of infinite progression and regression
    -- Gilles Deleuze

#Fashion #Men #Oedipus

• I got Oedipus off the incest charge--technicality, of course--he didn't know it was his mother at the time.
    -- Jasper Fforde

#Mother #Oedipus

• ‎"As Oedipus learned, the more you run away from what is predetermined the more you run toward it.
    -- M.J. Rose

#Running #Oedipus #Running Away

• Many audiences all over the world will answer positively from their own experience that they have seen the face of the invisible through an experience on the stage that transcended their experience in life. They will maintain that Oedipus or Berenice or Hamlet or The Three Sisters performed with beauty and with love fires the spirit and gives them a reminder that daily drabness is not necessarily all.
    -- Peter Brook

#Oedipus #Fire #Giving

• I was not interested in doing the plot of OEDIPUS in blackface. I did wonder, what would these people have been like if they hadn't been in that situation? . . . One could look at Oedipus, or at my character Augustus, as a cynical schemer who did everything because he was hungry for power. But that's just too easy. I'm more interested in how humans can embody conflicting goals and emotions.
    -- Rita Dove

#Character #Oedipus #People

• The sexual wishes in regard to the mother become more intense and the father is perceived as an obstacle to the; this gives rise to the Oedipus complex.
    -- Sigmund Freud

#Mother #Father #Oedipus

• The population question is the real riddle of the sphinx, to which no political Oedipus has as yet found the answer. In view of the ravages of the terrible monster over-multiplication, all other riddle sink into insignificance.
    -- Thomas Huxley

#Real #Oedipus #Views

• My husband, who's the greatest actor in the world, can do anything. Look at what he did in The Critic and Oedipus. In every role he gets-he did this in Richard the Third-there's nothing he can't do, nothing. Just nothing.
    -- Vivien Leigh

#Husband #Oedipus #Roles

• At the time I was first writing the stories/essays that appear in Oedipus Wrecked, I was still under the impression that people would be delighted to see their name in print. I overlooked the fact that I was writing about intimate matters, and people are a bit touchy about airing their private lives in such a public fashion. Especially when it's done without their consent.
    -- Kevin Keck

#Fashion #Writing #Oedipus

• I like violence because I like looking at it and I like understanding emotional and physical violence and how they work with one another... It's operating in all these levels of hopefully - Oedipus is one of my favorite stories, that's like falling down a well when you read that - so that would be the hope, that each thing causes the next.
    -- Kimberly Peirce

#Fall #Emotional #Oedipus

• To paraphrase Oedipus, Hamlet, Lear, and all those guys, "I wish I had known this some time ago.
    -- Roger Zelazny

#Oedipus #Guy #Wish