Density quotes

• Now, the velocity of wave propagation can be seen, without the aid of any mathematical analysis, to depend on the elasticity of the medium and its density; for we can see that if a medium is highly elastic the disturbance would be propagated at a great speed.
    -- Albert A. Michelson

#Would Be #Density #Analysis

• Watson, ... if I can get a mechanism which will make a current of electricity vary in its intensity, as the air varies in density when a sound is passing through it, I can telegraph any sound, even the sound of speech.
    -- Alexander Graham Bell

#Air #Sound #Density

• If I can get on to my sofa and occupy myself for four hours, at intervals through the day, scribbling my notes, and able to read the books that belong to me, in that they clarify the density, and shape the formless mass within, life seems inconceivably rich...
    -- Alice James

#Book #Density #Shapes

• Weight-bearing exercise builds bone density, builds your muscular strength so that you can hold your body up where those bones have a tendency to get weak.
    -- Ann Richards

#Exercise #Density #Weight

• I can double my density from three-sixty degrees to seven-twenty instantly.
    -- Canibus

#Three #Density #Twenties

• Arc, amplitude, and curvature sustain a similar relation to each other as time, motion, and velocity, or as volume, mass, and density.
    -- Carl Friedrich Gauss

#Density #Velocity #Mass

• Words have a universe of qualities other than those of descriptive relation: Hardness, Density, Sound-Shape, Vector-Force, & Degrees of Transparency/Opacity.
    -- Clark Coolidge

#Quality #Density #Shapes

• This idea of repetition and revision is central to my working process-this idea of stacking and layering and building up densities and recoveries.
    -- Ellen Gallagher

#Recovery #Ideas #Density

• I was not ready for abstraction. I clung to earth and her dear shapes, her density, her herbage, her juice. I wanted her volume, and I wanted to hear her throb.
    -- Emily Carr

#Density #Juice #Earth

• The degree of consciousness corresponds to the degree of density or the speed of vibrations. The denser the matter, the less conscious it is.
    -- G. I. Gurdjieff

#Vibrations #Degrees #Density

• Make it nice where you are, and put the density on top.
    -- Jan Gehl

#Nice #Density #Where You Are

• Detroit is largely composed, today, of seemingly endless square miles of low-density failure.
    -- Jane Jacobs

#Squares #Density #Today

• We are just strings of quarks living in a suburb of the local density maximum of the universe.
    -- John D. Barrow

#Density #Strings #Quarks

• All we know if an angel is that it is incorporeal, immaterial, and only by comparing it with God-who is incomparable-can we see that it has some density and body after all, since in reality only God is truly immaterial and incorporeal.
    -- John of Damascus

#Angel #Reality #Density

• Scientists estimate the universe unfolded from its state of infinite destiny* - a moment commonly referred to as "the big bang" - approximately 1.3-2 x 10^10 years ago. *Typo: "destiny" should read "density.
    -- Mark Z. Danielewski

#Destiny #Years #Density

• The disadvantages of a decentralized, spread out urban area are tremendous, and the environmental damage of urban sprawl cannot be ignored. As a large city, Tokyo must be used more efficiently and the population density increased.
    -- Minoru Mori

#Cities #Environmental #Density

• I have painted and drawn bulls for some time because of their density and all the symbolism they carry.
    -- Paul Emsley

#Symbolism #Bulls #Density

• There is no explanation in the Big Bang theory for the seemingly fortuitous fact that the density of matter has just the right value for the evolution of a benign, life supporting universe.
    -- Robert Jastrow

#Density #Matter #Facts

• We don't need to save the Earth. I think the Earth is doing very well right now. And, it's mirroring the density within us, showing us what we need to shift - and that we are shifting. It's all very positive, as far as I'm concerned.
    -- Christine McCormick Day

#Thinking #Needs #Density

• Nature protects us in our uttermost losses by a density through which conviction is slow to penetrate.
    -- Mary Catherwood

#Loss #Density #Denial

• The sphere ... which is located beyond our physical world is called the earth zone. It is also known as the zone girdling the earth. This zone has varying degrees of density, the so-called sub-planes, into which human beings enter after they leave their physical bodies. This is the astral world that individuals enter into with their astral bodies after their physical death.
    -- Franz Bardon

#Magic #Density #World

• I don't see myself as experimenting in any conscious way, it's perhaps that certain books require different densities of language.
    -- John Scott

#Book #Different #Density

• I've never thought that it made sense to put something out that I didn't actually find really fun to read. Or, if not "fun," engaging. My tastes are whatever they are, but I may be a little bit afraid of certain kinds of density. I may get turned off by certain kinds of show-offyness.
    -- Lorin Stein

#Fun #Density #May