Human Relations quotes

• Every time I started a business and the people told me I was an idiot, I ended up making a lot of money. Si Redd used to say me, "Boy, you gotta be where they ain't." What that means is that you find areas of low competition because high competition means lower margins, and lower margins mean less profit. So we were always looking for places where we can be unique. If the thinking is out-of-the-box, people may not understand because they have not seen it before... Therefore you are an idiot.

• I've been in scenarios as an actor where you have to manufacture an emotion that's not really there, but it wasn't hard with Halle because she's a great person and very beautiful, so it ain't a tough job at the end of the day.

• When you master role-playing [gaming], you become immersed in an activity that is peerless among leisure-time pursuits.

• Better not to give in to it.

• ...it's as empty as a merchant's soul. Sorry, Kheldar, it's just an old expression." "That's all right, Beldin," Silk forgave him grandly. "These little slips of the tongue are common in the very elderly.

• Throughout my work is the idea, over and over, that we must all learn to respect one another.

• Find your heart, and you will find your way.

• A good man not only forbears those gratifications which are forbidden by reason and religion, but even restrains himself in unforbidden instances.

• I'm a firm believer that every person, young or old, has at least one good story to tell.

• So often, literature about African people is conflated with literature about African politics, as if the state were somehow of greater import or interest than the individual.