Shelter quotes

• When the first settlers landed on American shores, the difficulties in finding or making shelter must have seemed ironical as well as almost unbearable.
    -- Alice Morse Earle

#Shelter #Firsts #Unbearable

• A story ... has a sturdy sense of itself of being built out of its own necessity, not just to shelter or beguile you.
    -- Alice Munro

#Stories #Shelter #Sturdy

• What do you actually need? Food, clothing and shelter. Everything else is entertainment.
    -- Aloe Blacc

#Needs #Shelter #Entertainment

• Come! let us take a moment's shelter under some roof Look! there - before you, a little way off There is an empty space Between truth and falsehood.
    -- Amrita Pritam

#Space #Looks #Shelter

• It is one thing to say that the dwelling has symbolic and cosmological aspects... and another to say that it has been erected for ritual purposes and is neither shelter nor dwelling but a temple.
    -- Anatol Rapoport

#Dwelling #Purpose #Shelter

• I tend to prefer the shelter of fiction.
    -- Armistead Maupin

#Fiction #Shelter #Recycling

• A lot of shelter dogs are mutts like me.
    -- Barack Obama

#Dog #Mutts #Shelter

• To a historian libraries are food, shelter, and even muse.
    -- Barbara Tuchman

#Library #Shelter #Muse

• I have a book of buildings from 25,000 BC. These are huts built out of mammoth bones. These buildings were beautifully made, from the bones of the body into shelter.
    -- Ben Nicholson

#Book #Body #Shelter

• The general public will almost always stand behind the traditionalists. In the public eye, architecture is about comfort, about shelter, about bricks and mortar.
    -- Bernard Tschumi

#Eye #Shelter #Bricks

• The ultimate goal of Bhakti is to get Krishna and we get it by taking shelter of the holy name.
    -- Bhakti Charu Swami

#Names #Goal #Shelter

• The greatest change we need to make is from consumption to production, even if on a small scale, in our own gardens. If only 10% of us do this, there is enough for everyone. Hence the futility of revolutionaries who have no gardens, who depend on the very system they attack, and who produce words and bullets, not food and shelter.
    -- Bill Mollison

#Garden #Needs #Shelter

• Humans are more dependent on learning for survival than other species,We have no instincts that automatically find us food and shelter !
    -- Bruce H. Lipton

#Survival #Shelter #Instinct

• Nothing builds authority up like silence, splendor of the strong and shelter of the weak.
    -- Charles de Gaulle

#Strong #Silence #Shelter

• The state of interbeing is a vulnerable state. It is the vulnerability of the naive altruist, of the trusting lover, of the unguarded sharer. To enter it, one must leave behind the seeming shelter of a control-based life, protected by walls of cynicism, judgment, and blame.
    -- Charles Eisenstein

#Wall #Shelter #Lovers

• God presents the Sabbath rest as a shelter we can enter. (Hebrews 4:1-11)
    -- Charles R. Swindoll

#Shelter #Hebrew #Sabbath

• Music is the fourth great material want, first food, then clothes, then shelter, then music.
    -- Christian Nestell Bovee

#Music #Clothes #Shelter

• He’d protect me and shelter me forever. But I was beginning to realize that being sheltered came at a price.
    -- Claudia Gray

#Forever #Shelter #Realizing

• Of course, one of the main legitimate functions of thought has always been to help provide security, guaranteeing shelter and food for instance. However, this function went wrong when the principle source of insecurity came to be the operation of thought itself.
    -- David

#Insecurity #Principles #Shelter

• I just spend my money on the essentials. Just basically food and shelter.
    -- David Duchovny

#Essentials #Shelter

• Nothing that has value, real value, has no cost. Not freedom, not food, not shelter, not healthcare.
    -- Dean Kamen

#Real #Cost #Shelter

• Welcome thy neighbor into thy fallout shelter. He'll come in handy if you run out of food.
    -- Dean McLaughlin

#Running #Shelter #Welcome

• Mo Nighean donn," he whispered," mo chridhe. My brown lass, my heart." Come to me. Cover me. Shelter me. a bhean, heal me. Burn with me, as I burn for you.
    -- Diana Gabaldon

#Heart #Shelter #Brown

• The average family pays more in taxes than it spends on food, clothing, and shelter combined.
    -- Dick Armey

#Average #Shelter #Libertarian

• The woman's soul is fashioned as a shelter in which other souls may unfold.
    -- Edith Stein

#Soul #Shelter #May

• Trees that, like the poplar, lift upward all their boughs, give no shade and no shelter, whatever their height. Trees the most lovingly shelter and shade us, when, like the willow, the higher soar their summits, the lower drop their boughs.
    -- Edward Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton

#Giving #Tree #Shelter

• If you don't want women to do whatever they need to do then you must provide them with food, you must provide them with shelter and their basic human rights.
    -- Emma Thompson

#Rights #Needs #Shelter

• Marriage to Fernando offered shelter and security, but the shackle was the price I'd pay.
    -- Esther Williams

#Marriage #Shelter #Pay

• I assert most unhesitatingly, that the religion of the South is a mere covering for the most horrid crimes—a justifier of the most appalling barbarity…a shelter under…which the darkest, foulest, grossest, and most infernal deeds of slaveholders find the strongest protection
    -- Frederick Douglass

#Covering #Shelter #Deeds

• If they drive God from the earth, we shall shelter Him underground.
    -- Fyodor Dostoevsky

#Deep Thought #Earth #Shelter

• The grave is still the best shelter against the storms of destiny.
    -- Georg C. Lichtenberg

#Destiny #Storm #Shelter

• The human heart finds nowhere shelter but in human kind.
    -- George Eliot

#Sympathy #Heart #Shelter

• If Reagan wins, I'd sell the farm and buy a bomb shelter.
    -- George McGovern

#Winning #Bombs #Shelter

• Crystal sincerity hath found no shelter but in a fool's cap.
    -- Gerard Manley Hopkins

#Shelter #Fool #Crystals

• I am the hailstorm that shall break the heads of those who do not take shelter.
    -- Girolamo Savonarola

#Shelter #Break #Hailstorms

• Be true in your relationship with the Sovereign Creator, for He is the greatest one with whom you could relate in all your affairs and states. Know that He cares for those who turn to Him; relieves difficulties for them; is there for them in every circumstance, condition and change; and He shelters them in His Mercy, Grace, Pardon and Forgiveness.
    -- Habib Umar bin Hafiz

#Grace #Care #Shelter

• Electing Sudan to the U.N. body mandated to promote and protect human rights worldwide is like putting Jack the Ripper in charge of a women’s shelter.
    -- Hillel Neuer

#Rights #Body #Shelter

• The man with the knapsack is never lost. No matter whither he may stray, his food and shelter are right with him, and home is wherever he may choose to stop.
    -- Horace Kephart

#Home #Men #Shelter

• Fallout shelters are like bell-bottoms. They've gone in and out of favor.
    -- Irwin Redlener

#Gone #Bells #Shelter

• To shelter and to hide, they have resigned themselves.
    -- J. D. McClatchy

#Shelter #Forests

• When the blessed Spirit, that bloweth where it listeth, visits you and stirs the plumage of the soul, seek no cowardly shelter from it, but fling yourself upon it, and, though its sweep be awful, you shall be sustained. Only do this, do all, not in presumptuous daring, but in divine submission; in dependence, not on any strength that can be spent, but on the ever-living stay of all that trust in Him.
    -- James Martineau

#Blessed #Soul #Shelter

• I showed up in L.A. with $500 and a backpack and I stayed at a shelter, so nobody handed me anything. I worked for every single thing that I have.
    -- Jared Leto

#Shelter

• Mister Dresden is a diplomatically challenged individual. He should be in a shelter for the tactless.
    -- Jim Butcher

#Shelter #Individual #Should

• Evasions are the common shelter of the hard-hearted, the false and impotent when called upon to assist; the really great alone plan instantaneous help, even when their looks or words presage difficulties.
    -- Johann Kaspar Lavater

#Looks #Shelter #Helping

• How oft a summer shower has started me; to seek the shelter of a hollow tree
    -- John Clare

#Summer #Tree #Shelter

• You should avoid seeing too much of yourself anywhere: in the outside world, in others, in the imagined worlds that give you shelter.
    -- John Darnielle

#Giving #World #Shelter

• This was once a land where every sane person knew how to build a shelter, grow food, and entertain one another. Now we have been rendered permanent children. It’s the architects of forced schooling who are responsible for that.
    -- John Taylor Gatto

#Children #Land #Shelter

• Moreover, such a body freed from nervous tension and over-fatigue is the ideal shelter provided by nature for housing a well-balanced mind that is always fully capable of successfully meeting all of the complex problems of modern living.
    -- Joseph Pilates

#Mind #Body #Shelter

• My daughters depend on me for a lot more than food, clothing and shelter. They depend on me as an example of how to go on.
    -- Katie Couric

#Inspirational #Daughter #Shelter

• If youre a vegan who ran a marathon & got your dogs from a shelter, how do you decide which thing to wedge into the conversation first?
    -- Ken Jennings

#Dog #Shelter #Firsts

• Allow yourself emotion-backed demands only for physical necessities such as air to breathe, food if starving, and shelter if freezing.
    -- Ken Keyes Jr.

#Air #Shelter #Demand

• One had to build shelters. One had to make pockets and live inside them.
    -- Lorrie Moore

#Pockets #Shelter

• After Lyndon Johnson's Great Society, the belief in decent housing as a political right or social obligation was supplanted in the U.S. by the notion that suitable shelter should be an act of charity.
    -- Martin Filler

#Political #Charity #Shelter

• We need not join the mad rush to purchase an earthly fallout shelter. God is our eternal fallout shelter. From Strength to Love, 1963
    -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

#God #Mad #Shelter

• What shelter to grow ripe is ours? What leisure to grow wise?
    -- Matthew Arnold

#Wise #Leisure #Shelter

• Finished things cease to be a shelter for the spirit; but work in progress is a delight.
    -- Max Frisch

#Progress #Delight #Shelter

• Fire may be the simplest and sometimes the only recourse in protecting yourself from the discomfort of cold, counteracting the effects of hypothermia, or in making up for inadequate clothing, bedding, or shelter.
    -- Mors Kochanski

#Fire #Survival #Shelter

• Food, clothes and shelter have no politics.
    -- Mutabaruka

#Clothes #Shelter

• Communities of every demographic (north, south, urban, rural, public animal control shelter, private shelter) have achieved No Kill success.
    -- Nathan Winograd

#Animal #Community #Shelter

• No Kill may be defined by what happens to the animals within the halls of the shelter, but it can only be achieved by what happens outside of them.
    -- Nathan Winograd

#Animal #May #Shelter

• I understand human needs. I grew up where far too many people lived day to day without elemental needs like food and shelter.
    -- Naveen Jain

#People #Needs #Shelter

• Freedom is meaningless if people cannot put food in their stomachs, if they can have no shelter, if illiteracy and disease continue to dog them.
    -- Nelson Mandela

#Dog #People #Shelter

• There is such a shelter in each other.
    -- Nick Laird

#Shelter

• On the trail of another man, the biographer must put up with finding himself at every turn; any biography uneasily shelters an autobiography within it.
    -- Paul Murray Kendall

#Men #Shelter #Biographies

• Whenever I felt down, whenever I started wondering what homeless shelter I would die in, [my mother] would buck me up by telling me: you know, Paul, the A students work for the B students, the C students run the companies, and the D students dedicate the buildings.
    -- Paul Orfalea

#Mother #Running #Shelter

• Everybody should have a shelter dog. Its good for the soul.
    -- Paul Shaffer

#Dog #Soul #Shelter

• I'm very involved with PETA - People for Ethical Treatment of Animals - and Greenpeace and a lot of women's shelter and clothing giveaways.
    -- Pink

#Animal #People #Shelter

• Happy is the house that shelters a friend.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

#House #Shelter #Human Rights

• And invention must still go on for it is necessary that we should completely control our circumstances. It is not sufficient that there should [only] be organization capable of providing food and shelter for all and organization to effect its proper distribution.
    -- Reginald Fessenden

#Organization #Goes On #Shelter

• The earth is literally our mother, not only because we depend on her for nurture and shelter but even more because the human sepcies has been shaped by her in the womb of evolution. Our salvation depends upon our ability to create a religion of nature.
    -- Rene Dubos

#Mother #Earth #Shelter

• Not surprisingly, extensive effort in Britain and America goes into finding tax shelter. the system is "efficient" for the shelter industry, not for the economy.
    -- Robert Kuttner

#America #Effort #Shelter

• Eight hours daily labour is enough for any human being, and under proper arrangements sufficient to afford an ample supply of food, raiment and shelter, or the necessaries and comforts of life, and for the remainder of his time, every person is entitled to education, recreation and sleep.
    -- Robert Owen

#Sleep #Eight #Shelter

• Revolutionaries don't get job security. They compete with rats for cheese and with strays for shelter--after the big bullets make feet out of their knees.
    -- Ruby Dee

#Jobs #Feet #Shelter

• Everyone, rich or poor, deserves a shelter for the soul.
    -- Samuel

#Soul #Shelter #Rich

• Everyone, rich or poor, deserves a shelter for the soul, architects should lead in procuring social and environmental change.
    -- Samuel Mockbee

#Soul #Environmental #Shelter

• I got the right temperature for shelter you from the storm
    -- Sean Paul

#Storm #Temperature #Shelter

• I like putting my money into things like food and shelter. I'm probably a bad example of an investor.
    -- Simon Baker

#Example #Shelter #Investors

• If God resides anywhere ... surely he shelters behind barricades of pure chance.
    -- Simon Mawer

#Shelter #Chance #Barricades

• A home without a dog is merely a shelter.
    -- Stephen Huneck

#Dog #Home #Shelter

• Indeed, happiness is nothing other than being encompassed, an after-image of the original shelter within the mother. But for this reason no one who is happy can know that he is so. To see happiness, he would have to pass out of it: to be as if already born. He who says he is happy lies, and in invoking happiness, sins against it. He alone keeps faith who says: I was happy.
    -- Theodor Adorno

#Mother #Lying #Shelter

• Ills are many, blessings few, but dreams tonight will shelter you.
    -- Thomas Pynchon

#Dream #Blessing #Shelter

• The deepest need of men is not food and clothing and shelter, important as they are. It is God.
    -- Thomas Raymond Kelly

#Men #Important #Shelter

• If you say you don't have money to help a animal shelter, why then do you have money to buy meat?
    -- Tsem Tulku

#Animal #Shelter #Meat

• Food, clothing and shelter — these are the basic needs. Beyond that, if you want anything, it is the beginning of self-deception.
    -- U.G. Krishnamurti

#Self #Deception #Shelter

• Maybe you know it but it's not so easy to finance movies in total. And the reason I am able to do these kind of movies is I have a tax shelter fund in Germany, and if you invest in a movie in Germany you get basically fifty percent back from the government.
    -- Uwe Boll

#Government #Shelter #Fifty

• Cats know how to obtain food without labor, shelter without confinement, and love without penalties.
    -- W. L. George

#Cat #Shelter #And Love

• Home is a shelter from storms - all sorts of storms.
    -- William Bennett

#Home #Storm #Shelter

• What man's life is not overtaken by one or more of those tornadoes that send us out of the course, and fling us on rocks to shelter as best we may?
    -- William Makepeace Thackeray

#Men #Rocks #Shelter

• The cat does not offer services. The cat offers itself. Of course he wants care and shelter. You don't buy love for nothing.
    -- William S. Burroughs

#Cat #Shelter #Want

• You never have to be scared of the trials but of standing alone in the trials without shelter (Allah's help).
    -- Yasmin Mogahed

#Trials #Shelter #Scared

• This life will never be without storms. Stop fearing the storm. Build your inner shelter.
    -- Yasmin Mogahed

#Storm #Shelter #This Life

• Actually the action called a kiss represented nothing more for me than some place where my spirit could seek shelter.
    -- Yukio Mishima

#Kissing #Shelter #Spirit

• Enveloped in Your Light, may I be a beacon to those in search of Light. Sheltered in Your Peace, may I offer shelter to those in need of peace. Embraced by Your Presence, so may I be present to others.
    -- Rami M. Shapiro

#Light #Needs #Shelter

• I lived with my godmother and mother in New Zealand until I was seven. They were both Jungian psychologists and had a homeless shelter for street gang members in New Zealand.
    -- Tamaryn

#Mother #Gang Members #Shelter

• A house is more than just a shelter; that it is a way of improving your way of life.
    -- William Krisel

#House #Shelter #Way

• As I go across the country and privately visit women's shelters and counselling centres, I am appalled that the most vulnerable people in our society are still women.
    -- Adrienne Clarkson

#Country #People #Shelter

• I relate to [women and children in women's shelters] on a personal level because I've been there myself.
    -- Nia Sanchez

#Children #Levels #Shelter

• Electing Sudan to the UN body mandated to promote and protect human rights worldwide is like putting Jack the Ripper in charge of a women's shelter.
    -- Hillel Neuer

#Rights #Body #Shelter