Flashlights quotes

• The wilderness does not make you forget your normal life so much as it removes the distractions for proper remembering.

• With the adult ones, I feel I need to get as deep inside the psychology of a character as I can, and that needs to be first-person. In the children's books, I feel I need some distance. I don't want to be the nine-year-old at the center of the story. I need to have some type of narrative voice.

• The English Writers of Tragedy are possessed with a Notion, that when they represent a virtuous or innocent Person in Distress, they ought not to leave him till they have delivered him out of his Troubles, or made him triumph over his Enemies.

• I'm terrible in the mornings, but I'm always at my desk by 10 A.M.

• I don't play monsters. I play men besieged by fate and out for revenge.

• I always felt free when I ran. I suppose that's what was good about it.

• We should have a State in which we could live and breathe as free men and which we could develop according to our own lights and culture and where principles of Islamic social justice could find free play.

• I remember when the Titanic sank in 1912, it was the ship that was supposed to be unsinkable. The only thing it ever did was sink. When it took off from England, all kinds of passengers were aboard - millionaires, celebrities, people of moderate means, and poor folks down in the steerage. But a few hours later when they put the list in the Cunard office in New York, it carried only two categories - lost and saved. Grim tragedy had leveled all distinctions.

• I think I'm right-brained, incapable of managing my way out of a brown paper bag.

• If you don't write your books, nobody else will do it for you. No one else has lived your life.