Hurtful quotes

• Quite often good things have hurtful consequences. There are instances of men who have been ruined by their money or killed by their courage.
    -- Aristotle

#Men #Hurtful #Good Things

• Sin is not hurtful because it is forbidden, but it is forbidden because it is hurtful.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

#Hurtful #Sin #Forbidden

• When we fail to set boundaries and hold people accountable, we feel used and mistreated. This is why we sometimes attack who they are, which is far more hurtful than addressing a behavior or a choice.
    -- Brené Brown

#People #Choices #Hurtful

• Nothing is as uncomfortable, dangerous and hurtful as believing that I'm standing on the outside of my life looking in and wondering what it would be like if I had the courage to show up and let myself be seen.
    -- Brené Brown

#Believe #Hurtful #Would Be

• Back then I was called Dumbo because of my ears. I was called Fatty, too. It was hurtful so I became like the class clown. I became the one who was kicked around.
    -- Britt Ekland

#Class #Hurtful #Ears

• For some reason if we hear 100 praises and one criticism, we focus on that one hurtful thing.
    -- Carmen Electra

#Focus #Hurtful #Criticism

• You're in a bad mood,' Skulduggery said. 'I understand. I do. You're saying things that you don't really mean. It's OK.' 'I'll kill you both.' 'Hurtful things said in the heat of the moment. We're not going to hold it against you, Bison. We're all friends here.' Valkyrie nodded. 'We love you Bison.' 'We do,' Skulduggery agreed. 'You're our favourite Necromancer. You're the cuddly one.' 'Shut up,' Dragonclaw said. 'Both of you just shut up.
    -- Derek Landy

#Love You #Mean #Hurtful

• I can look back and recognize the things I've done and said that were wrong: unethical, gratuitously hurtful, golden-rule-breaking, et cetera. Sometimes the wrongness was even clear at the time, though not as clear as it is now. But I did these things because I felt the pull of a trajectory, a sense of experience piling up the way it does as you turn the pages of a novel. I would be lying if I said I was a different person now. I am the same person. I would do it all again.
    -- Emily Gould

#Lying #Hurtful #Doe

• Keep writing. Keep doing it and doing it. Even in the moments when it's so hurtful to think about writing.
    -- Heather Armstrong

#Writing #Thinking #Hurtful

• Nothing is worse and more hurtful than a happiness that comes too late.
    -- Ivan Turgenev

#Hurtful #Too Late

• I just want an opportunity. If you don't like the audition, don't hire me! But if you don't want to even see me -- that's hurtful. And why? You know nothing about me!
    -- Jessica Biel

#Opportunity #Hurtful #Want

• Be careful what you say. You can say something hurtful in ten seconds, but ten years later, the wounds are still there.
    -- Joel Osteen

#Years #Hurtful #Be Careful

• A good principle not rightly understood may prove as hurtful as a bad.
    -- John Milton

#Hurtful #Principles #May

• It's hurtful to know that Tommy Glavine won't be in a Braves uniform anymore.
    -- John Schuerholz

#Brave #Hurtful #Uniforms

• On religion in particular, the time appears to me to have come, when it is a duty of all who, being qualified in point of knowledge, have, on mature consideration, satisfied themselves that the current opinions are not only false, but hurtful, to make their dissent known.
    -- John Stuart Mill

#Hurtful #Opinion #Mature

• Someone on the internet referred to me as 'that horrible little man who's replacing Rob Lowe', which is hurtful, because I think of myself as a delightful little man.
    -- Joshua Malina

#Men #Thinking #Hurtful

• Artists are not cheerleaders, and we're not the heads of tourism boards. We expose and discuss what is problematic, what is contradictory, what is hurtful and what is silenced in the culture we're in.
    -- Junot Diaz

#Artist #Hurtful #Tourism

• Christlike communications are expressed in tones of love rather than loudness. They are intended to be helpful rather than hurtful. They tend to bind us together rather than to drive us apart. They tend to build rather than to belittle.
    -- L. Lionel Kendrick

#Communication #Hurtful #Together

• Widow" is a harsh and hurtful word. It comes from the Sanskrit and it means "empty." I have been empty too long.
    -- Lynn Caine

#Mean #Long #Hurtful

• I had a friend where it turned out that she hated my guts, all through our friendship. I thought she was my best friend, and then, in high school, she turned on me and had sordid affairs with all of the people that I'd dated. It was less hurtful because I was in high school, so it was more like, 'What's wrong with you? Gross!
    -- Mae Whitman

#School #People #Hurtful

• Anyone who can be proved to be a seditious person is an outlaw before God and the emperor; and whoever is the first to put him to death does right and well. Therefore let everyone who can, smite, slay and stab, secretly or openly, remembering that nothing can be more poisonous, hurtful, or devilish than a rebel.
    -- Martin Luther

#Hurtful #Doe #Firsts

• Bad deeds, and deeds hurtful to ourselves, are easy to do; what is beneficial and good, that is very difficult to do.
    -- Max Muller

#Hurtful #Deeds #Easy

• Maybe it's legitimate criticism, though it can be hurtful. Maybe I haven't paid sufficient attention to the people with whom I would have a natural affinity as a liberal, and they feel let down by that.
    -- Paddy Ashdown

#People #Criticism #Hurtful

• When something bad is written about me, I find it hurtful. So I choose not to look at it.
    -- Patsy Kensit

#Hurtful #Looks

• Not only do I never lie, I never respond to lies, no matter how vicious, no matter how hurtful.
    -- Paula Abdul

#Lying #Hurtful #Matter

• While it has been hurtful to my family and me to read constantly in the media that I was under investigation, I am pleased that as expected my spending has been found to be in order.
    -- Peter Slipper

#Order #Media #Hurtful

• Riches for the most part are hurtful to them that possess them.
    -- Plutarch

#Hurtful #Riches

• It's a hurtful place, the world, in and of itself. We don't need to add to it. And we're in a place now where we all need one another, and it's going to get rougher.
    -- Prince

#Hurtful #World #Add

• People who don't know me have opinions about me. That's the part that's very hurtful. Because how do you form an opinion about somebody if you've never met them or spent any time with them? So it's all based upon hearsay or things that they've read.
    -- Rick Barry

#People #Hurtful #Opinion

• We don't take a macro view... We'd look at every company to figure out if trade sanctions are helpful or hurtful.
    -- Robert Pozen

#Views #Hurtful #Looks

• Most grown people are like icebergs, three-tenths showing, seven-tenths submerged - that is why a collision with one of them is unexpectedly hurtful ...
    -- Rumer Godden

#People #Hurtful #Three

• Recently it was pointed out to me - in a kind of hurtful way, to be honest - that people in Los Angeles are aurally challenged. That is, at social events, we simply do not listen to others. We do not ask them questions about themselves, we do not nod attentively when they speak; really, if we were to examine ourselves, we would realize that we simply have no interest in others at all.
    -- Sandra Tsing Loh

#People #Hurtful #Way

• It's no coincidence that good words make us feel good and that hurtful or angry words make us feel bad. There is a 100 percent correlation between the words we choose and how we feel.
    -- Sean Stephenson

#Feel Good #Hurtful #Coincidence

• Life has been some combination of fairy-tale coincidence and joie de vivre and shocks of beauty together with some hurtful self-questioning.
    -- Sylvia Plath

#Self #Hurtful #Together

• There's so much stuff said about me that's not true, so now if something is hurtful and wrong, I send an e-mail or letter immediately, saying, This is not true.
    -- Tracey Emin

#Hurtful #Mail #Stuff

• I think what scares people about not being normal is being ostracized for not being like other people. And that's hurtful when that happens.
    -- Erin Davie

#Thinking #People #Hurtful

• A lot of times, just because people are different, they're judged. I try not to let that concern me. But sometimes it can be hurtful, because I do feel judged sometimes for being a little different.
    -- Erin Davie

#People #Hurtful #Trying

• I find that half of people I meet are open and want the world to love and be loved, but there are others who are bigoted and hurtful, and want to vote for Trump.
    -- Garrett Clayton

#People #Hurtful #Half

• The most hurtful thing to me is when people try to put assumptions on me and my relationship because that is not OK. Love is something that's really serious and private that you can't try to claim or know.
    -- Gigi Hadid

#Love Is #People #Hurtful

• Any artist will tell you that when they get negative criticism of their work, it's personally hurtful to them.
    -- Peter Clewes

#Artist #Criticism #Hurtful

• I feel especially vulnerable when I know I've let the reactive ego take control of my actions and it may have had hurtful implications with someone I love. I feel vulnerable when I don't listen to my conscience.
    -- Richard Brancatisano

#Ego #Hurtful #May

• It is less hurtful to compel a man to marry someone whom he does not love than to follow a religion in which he does not believe.
    -- Roger Williams

#Believe #Men #Hurtful

• It is extremely hurtful when women tell me I don't understand or know how they feel.
    -- Kim Lyons

#Hurtful #Feels #Know How