Sphinx quotes

• For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
    -- Austin Osman Spare

#Black And White #Sphinx #Vortex

• There are various eyes. Even the Sphinx has eyes: and as a result there are various truths, and as a result there is no truth.
    -- Friedrich Nietzsche

#Eye #Sphinx #Results

• It is to the Riddle of the Sphinx that I have devoted fifty years of professional life as an anthropologist.
    -- Gregory Bateson

#Years #Sphinx #Fifty

• A major difficulty is that the answer to the Riddle of the Sphinx is partly a product of the answers that we already have given to the riddle in its various forms.
    -- Gregory Bateson

#Sphinx #Answers #Given

• It is of first-class importance that our answer to the Riddle of the Sphinx should be in step with how we conduct our civilisation, and this should in turn be in step with the actual workings of living systems.
    -- Gregory Bateson

#Class #Steps #Sphinx

• Courage~ What makes the flag on the mast to wave? What makes the elephant charge his tusk in the misty mist, or the dusky dusk? What makes the muskrat guard his musk? Courage! What makes the sphinx the seventh wonder? Courage! What makes the dawn come up like thunder? Courage! What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the "ape" in apricot?~Cowardly Lion from the Wizard of Oz
    -- L. Frank Baum

#Elephants #Sphinx #Flags

• She moved like a poem and smiled like a sphinx.
    -- Laini Taylor

#Sphinx #Moved

• Sphinxes without secrets.
    -- Oscar Wilde

#Women #Secret #Sphinx

• The problem of Eternity, of which the face of the Sphinx speaks, takes us into the realm of the impossible. Even the problem of Time is simple in comparison with the problem of Eternity.
    -- P.D. Ouspensky

#Simple #Sphinx #Faces

• Pity for him who one day looks uponhis inward sphinx and questions it. He is lost.
    -- Ruben Dario

#One Day #Inward #Sphinx

• It's like the riddle of the Sphinx... why are there so many great unmarried women, and no great unmarried men?
    -- Sarah Jessica Parker

#Men #Sphinx #Riddle

• Are there any mythical beasts which aren't simple pastiches of nature? Centaurs, minotaurs, unicorns, griffons, chimeras, sphinxes, manticores, and the like don't speak well for the human imagination. None is as novel as a kangaroo or starfish.
    -- William Poundstone

#Simple #Imagination #Sphinx

• Older recordings just seemed to take me somewhere into my own pre-history. That's always been an interesting, sort of sphinx-like territory for me to wander around in.
    -- Guy Maddin

#Interesting #Sphinx #Territory