Odes quotes

• An aged Burgundy runs with a beardless Port. I cherish the fancy that Port speaks sentences of wisdom, Burgundy sings the inspired Ode.
    -- Ambrose Bierce

#Running #Alcohol #Odes

• The pleasures of love proceed successively from a distich to a quatrain, from a quatrain to a sonnet, from a sonnet to a ballad, from a ballad to an ode, from an ode to a cantata, and from a cantata to a dithyramb. A husband who begins with the dithyramb is a fool.
    -- Honore de Balzac

#Love #Husband #Odes

• A poem with grandly conceived and executed stanzas, such as one of Keats's odes, should be like an enfilade of rooms in a palace: one proceeds, with eager anticipation, from room to room.
    -- James Fenton

#Odes #Rooms #Palaces

• One word of praise from a woman is dearer to me than a whole ode from a man . .
    -- Maxim Gorky

#Men #Odes #Praise

• Poetry, even that of the loftiest, and seemingly, that of the wildest odes, [has] a logic of its own as severe as that of science; and more difficult, because more subtle, more complex, and dependent on more and more fugitive causes. In the truly great poets... there is a reason assignable, not only for every word, but for the position of every word.
    -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

#Poetry #Odes #Causes

• I have not observed mens honesty to increase with their riches.

• Life is to short to be little.

• Is suffering so very serious? ...I'm referring to the kind of suffering a man inflicts on a woman or a woman on a man. It's extremely painful... hardly bearable. But I very much fear that this sort of pain... is no more worthy of respect than old age or illness.

• My first job now is as a mother, everything else is secondary. My kids understand that I am an actress, and they are always so surprised to hear my voice on a cartoon character, or see my face on a video box. If it ever gets to be too much though, the career and the kids, I will simply set the career aside.

• Elie [Wiesel], when you ask, "Why do I want to know," I'm trying to grab the holy. And I'm getting thrown back.

• When a nice girl overcompensates, her behavior says, “What I have to offer isn’t enough, and who I am isn’t enough.

• As for you, you are alive. But it's not the same as living.

• The one key difference is that Puerto Rico is a colonial territory. We don't have representation. We have a difficult time getting funding from the federal government. This is critical component that we need to change.

• Science contributes moral as well as material blessings to the world. Its great moral contribution is objectivity, or the scientific point of view. This means doubting everything except facts; it means hewing to the facts, let the chips fall where they may.

• A small speckled visitor Wearing a crimson cape Brighter than a cherry Smaller than a grape A polka-dotted someone Walking on my wall A black-hooded lady In a scarlet shawl.