Owing quotes

• If a man owes me money, I never seem to forget. But if I do the owing, I somehow never remember.
    -- Aristophanes

#Men #Debt #Owing

• All I worried about was what Owings was doing to me, instead of what I was doing to him. When you start worrying about that stuff, you're going down the wrong path.
    -- Dan Gable

#Worry #Owing #Stuff

• Owing to the vibratory power of words, whatever man voices, he begins to attract.
    -- Florence Scovel Shinn

#Men #Voice #Owing

• The moderation of people in prosperity is the effect of a smooth and composed temper, owing to the calm of their good fortune.
    -- Francois de La Rochefoucauld

#People #Owing #Calm

• Though men are apt to flatter and exalt themselves with their great achievements, yet these are, in truth, very often owing not so much to design as chance.
    -- Francois de La Rochefoucauld

#Men #Design #Owing

• But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.
    -- George Eliot

#Life #Numbers #Owing

• The experiment left no doubt that, as far as accuracy of measurement went, the resistance disappeared. At the same time, however, something unexpected occurred. The disappearance did not take place gradually but abruptly. From 1/500 the resistance at 4.2K, it could be established that the resistance had become less than a thousand-millionth part of that at normal temperature. Thus the mercury at 4.2K has entered a new state, which, owing to its particular electrical properties, can be called the state of superconductivity.
    -- Heike Kamerlingh Onnes

#Doubt #Owing #Mercury

• When I was boxing I made five million and wound up broke, owing the government a million.
    -- Joe Louis

#Government #Boxing #Owing

• A beam of luminous hydrogen canal rays has, owing to its velocity, exactly the same direction as that of the electric field in which it may be made to move.
    -- Johannes Stark

#Moving #Rays #Owing

• Take modern courtships! They resulted in the same thing as under George the Second, but took longer to reach it, owing to the motor-cycle and the standing lunch.
    -- John Galsworthy

#Lunch #Owing #Modern

• No pill can help me deal with the problem of not wanting to take pills; likewise, no amount of psychotherapy alone can prevent my manias and depressions. I need both. It is an odd thing, owing life to pills, one's own quirks and tenacities, and this unique, strange, and ultimately profound relationship called psychotherapy
    -- Kay Redfield Jamison

#Unique #Profound #Owing

• Conversation is a traffick; and if you enter into it, without some stock of knowledge, to ballance the account perpetually betwixtyou,--the trade drops at once: and this is the reasonwhy travellers have so little [good] conversation with natives,--owing to their [the natives'] suspicionthat there is nothing to be extracted from the conversationworth the trouble of their bad language.
    -- Laurence Sterne

#Travel #Owing #Littles

• Perhaps bacteria may tentatively be regarded as biochemical experiments; owing to their relatively small size and rapid growth, variations must arise much more frequently than in more differentiated forms of life, and they can in addition afford to occupy more precarious positions in natural economy than larger organisms with more exacting requirements.
    -- Marjory Stephenson

#Growth #Variation #Owing

• Professors go batty too, perhaps more often than other people, although owing to their profession, their madness is less often remarked.
    -- Michael Gruber

#Teacher #People #Owing

• The ability of dandelions to tell the time is somewhat exaggerated, owing to the fact that there is always one seed that refuses to be blown off; the time usually turns out to be 37 o'clock.
    -- Miles Kington

#Luck #Owing #Facts

• Nations, like individuals in a state of nature, are equal and independent, possessing certain rights and owing certain duties to each other.
    -- Millard Fillmore

#Independent #Rights #Owing

• Scientists may be in the business of laughing at their predecessors, but owing to an array of human mental dispositions, few realize that someone will laugh at their beliefs in the (disappointingly near) future.
    -- Nassim Nicholas Taleb

#Laughing #Owing #May

• “If I had been on 'Bowling for Dollars,' I'd wind up owing them money.”
    -- Ricki Lake

#Wind #Owing #Dollars

• Scepticism is an ability, or mental attitude, which opposes appearances to judgments in any way whatsoever, with the result that,owing to the equipollence of the objects and reasons thus opposed we are brought firstly to a state of mental suspense and next to a state of "unperturbedness" or quietude.
    -- Sextus Empiricus

#Attitude #Suspense #Owing

• Discernment is a power of the understanding in which few excel. Is not that owing to its connection with impartiality and truth? for are not prejudice and partiality blind?
    -- Sir Fulke Greville

#Understanding #Prejudice #Owing

• Owning is owing, having is hoarding.
    -- Ursula K. Le Guin

#Hoarding #Owing

• The word 'definition' has come to have a dangerously reassuring sound, owing no doubt to its frequent occurrence in logical and mathematical writings.
    -- Willard Van Orman Quine

#Writing #Doubt #Owing

• I think it is owing to the good sense of the English that they have not painted better.
    -- William Hogarth

#Art #Thinking #Owing

• A newspaper is a private enterprise owing nothing whatsoever to the public, which grants it no franchise. It is therefore affected with no public interest.
    -- William Peter Hamilton

#Owing #Newspapers #Interest

• I hate any kind of owing of anything.
    -- Lemar

#Hate #Owing #Kind

• Good results are sometimes owing to a failure of judgment, because the faculty of judgment often hinders us from undertaking many things which would succeed if carried through without thinking.
    -- Madeleine de Souvre, marquise de Sable

#Failure #Thinking #Owing