Penance quotes

• Chaos is the penance for leisure.
    -- Amy Tan

#Penance #Leisure #Chaos

• Tapas is not a penance, it's a mental training to develop will power
    -- Baba Hari Dass

#Training #Penance #Tapas

• Solitude, I reflected, is the one deep necessity of the human spirit to which adequate recognition is never given in our codes. It is looked upon as a discipline or penance, but hardly ever as the indispensable, pleasant ingredient it is to ordinary life, and from this want of recognition come half our domestic troubles.
    -- Freya Stark

#Discipline #Solitude #Penance

• It makes that a virtue which is not a virtue, and that a crime which is not a crime. Religion consists in a round of observances that have no relation whatever to natural goodness, but which rather exclude it by being a substitute for it. Penances and pilgrimages take the place of justice and mercy, benevolence and charity. Such a religion, so far from being a purifier, is the great corrupter of morals.
    -- Henry M. Field

#Justice #Religion #Penance

• Today a celebrity sex video isn't a stigma that requires penance and smarm removal; it's a branding device, a platform enhancer, a show reel.
    -- James Wolcott

#Sex #Today #Penance

• I avoid that bleak first hour of the working day during which my still sluggish senses and body make every chore a penance. I find that in arriving later, the work which I do perform is of a much higher quality.
    -- John Kennedy Toole

#Morning #Quality #Penance

• And the only thing to do with a sin is to confess, do penance and then, after some kind of decent interval, ask for forgiveness.
    -- Joseph J. Ellis

#Penance #Kind #Sin

• The more you have, the more you are occupied, the less you give. But the less you have the more free you are. Poverty for us is a freedom. It is not mortification, a penance. It is joyful freedom. There is no television here, no this, no that. But we are perfectly happy.
    -- Mother Teresa

#Giving #Television #Penance

• No penance can your hard heart find save such as you long since have taught me to endure
    -- Murasaki Shikibu

#Heart #Long #Penance

• To do penance is to bewail the evil we have done, and to do no evil to bewail.
    -- Pope Gregory I

#Evil #Penance #Done

• My only crime was being a man and living in the world of men, and you don't have to do special penance for that. The crime and the penance, in that case, coincide perfectly. They are identical.
    -- Robert Penn Warren

#Men #Special #Penance

• He who confesses magic or sorcery shall do penance for the time of murder, and shall be treated in the same manner as he who convicts himself of this sin.
    -- Saint Basil

#Magic #Penance #Sorcery

• The best penance is to have patience with the sorrows God permits. A very good penance is to dedicate oneself to fulfill the duties of everyday with exactitude and to study and work with all our strength.
    -- Peter Damian

#Sorrow #Everyday #Penance