Gleam quotes

• I seem to be a brief light that flashes but once in all the aeons of time a rare, complicated, and all-too-delicate organism on the fringe of biological evolution , where the wave of life bursts into individual, sparkling, and multicolored drops that gleam for a moment... only to vanish forever.
    -- Alan Watts

#Light #Forever #Gleam

• In vain would science scan and trace Firmly her aspect. All the while, There gleams upon her far-off face A vague unfathomable smile.
    -- Alfred Austin

#Gleam #Faces #Vain

• I have always loved the desert. One sits down on a desert sand dune, sees nothing, hears nothing. Yet through the silence something throbs, and gleams...
    -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#Silence #Desert #Gleam

• They cant censor the gleam in my eye.
    -- Charles Laughton

#Eye #Gleam

• There is nothing like a gleam of humor to reassure you that a fellow human being is ticking inside a strange face.
    -- Eva Hoffman

#Humor #Gleam #Faces

• Oh to be my verse an answering gleam from higher radiance caught
    -- Frances Ridley Havergal

#Radiance #Gleam #Caught

• (Egypt) is a great place for contrasts: splendid things gleam in the dust.
    -- Gustave Flaubert

#Egypt #Dust #Gleam

• Hair that gleams can send a clear sign that you're young and in your prime, whatever your actual age.
    -- Helen Fisher

#Hair #Age #Gleam

• It takes a long time for the gleam in the eye to turn into something solid.
    -- Howard Hodgkin

#Eye #Long #Gleam

• (H)ope, be it never so faint, bringeth a gleam into darkness, like a little rushlight that costeth but a groat.
    -- Howard Pyle

#Darkness #Littles #Gleam

• My Beloved One gleams like the lightning flash in the sky.
    -- Kabir

#Sky #Lightning #Gleam

• There is a plain distinction to be made betwixt pleasure and happiness. For tho' there can be no happiness without pleasure--yet the converse of the proposition will not hold true.--We are so made, that from the common gratifications of our appetites, and the impressions of a thousand objects, we snatch the one, like a transient gleam, without being suffered to taste the other.
    -- Laurence Sterne

#Happiness #Gleam #Taste

• I felt freed to please myself, to find my way as I would, in a world that was much vaster than I had realized before, in which I was but one star-gleam, one wavelet, among multitudes. My happiness mattered not a whit more than the next person's - or the next fish's, or the next grass-blade's! - and not a whit less.
    -- Margo Lanagan

#Stars #World #Gleam

• I loathe the urchin's cruelty to the cat, but I will not loathe the urchin. I loathe Hitler's mass-torturing, but not Hitler; and the money-man's heartlessness, but not the man. I love the swallow's flight, and I love the swallow; the urchin's gleam of tenderness, and the urchin.
    -- Olaf Stapledon

#Cat #Men #Gleam

• As shaking terrors from his blazing hair, a sanguine comet gleams through dusky air.
    -- Torquato Tasso

#Air #Gleam #Sanguine

• A harvest mouse goes scampering by, With silver claws and silver eye; And moveless fish in the water gleam, By silver reeds in a silver stream.
    -- Walter de La Mare

#Eye #Water #Gleam

• It is true that despite occasional gleams of Churchillian eloquence he [Gen. Douglas MacArthur] usually spoke poorly. He was far more effective in conversations a deux. But those who dismiss him as shallow because his rhetoric was fustian err.
    -- William Manchester

#Gleam #Public Speaking #Macarthur

• A dreamer of the common dreams, A fisher in familiar streams, He chased the transitory gleams That all pursue; But on his lips the eternal themes Again were new.
    -- William Watson

#Dream #Gleam #Lips