Gnats quotes

• There is a reference in Aristotle to a gnat produced by larvae engendered in the slime of vinegar. This must have been Drosophila.
    -- Alfred Sturtevant

#Gnats #Vinegar #Slime

• There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations--these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat.
    -- C. S. Lewis

#Art #Civilization #Gnats

• As the moths around a taper, As the bees around a rose, As the gnats around a vapour, So the spirits group and close Round about a holy childhood, as if drinking its repose.
    -- Elizabeth Barrett Browning

#Drinking #Gnats #Rose

• Television is a triumph of equipment over people, and the minds that control it are so small that you could put them in a gnat's navel with room left over for two caraway seeds and an agent's heart.
    -- Fred Allen

#Heart #Two #Gnats

• 'What's the use of their having names the Gnat said, 'if they won't answer to them?' 'No use to them,' said Alice; 'but it's useful to the people who name them, I suppose. If not, why do things have names at all?' 'I can't say,' the Gnat replied.
    -- Lewis Carroll

#Names #Gnats #People

• I am entitled to say, if I like, that awareness exists in all the individual creatures on the planet-worms, sea urchins, gnats, whales, subhuman primates, superprimate humans, the lot. I can say this because we do not know what we are talking about: consciousness is so much a total mystery for our own species that we cannot begin to guess about its existence in others.
    -- Lewis Thomas

#Gnats #Talking #Whales

• Other people write about the bling and the booty. I write about the pus and the gnats. To me, that's beautiful.
    -- Vic Chesnutt

#Beautiful #Writing #Gnats

• In the vast cosmical changes, the universal life comes and goes in unknown quantities ... sowing an animalcule here, crumbling a star there, oscillating and winding, ... entangling, from the highest to the lowest, all activities in the obscurity of a dizzying mechanism, hanging the flight of an insect upon the movement of the earth... Enormous gearing, whose first motor is the gnat, and whose last wheel is the zodiac.
    -- Victor Hugo

#Stars #Zodiac #Gnats

• Can you walk on water? You have done no better than a straw. Can you fly through the air? You are no better than a gnat. Conquer your heart-then you may become somebody.
    -- Khwaja Abdullah Ansari

#Heart #Air #Gnats

• Waves of a serene life pass over us from time to time, like flakes of sunlight over the fields in cloudy weather.

• Scobe's Tenth Law: In all endeavors, in all aspects of life, there are more horses ***** than horses!

• There is no faith which has never yet been broken, except that of a truly faithful dog

• If a potato can produce vitamin C, why can't we? Within the animal kingdom only humans and guinea pigs are unable to synthesize vitamin C in their own bodies. Why us and guinea pigs? No point asking. Nobody knows.

• No person who examines and reflects, can avoid seeing that there is but one race of people on the earth, who differ from each other only according to the soil and the climate in which they live.

• I am the last President of the United States!

• Some praise me, some blame me. I go the other way.

• I'd found love -- only to discover how fleeting it can be.

• Pulchritude--beauty where you would least suspect it, hidden in a word that looked like it should signify a belch or a skin infection.

• We've reached a point where we are not a very empathetic people, and art without empathy is art without an audience. My basic viewpoint is that without art we're alone.