Pioneers quotes

• Man always kills the thing he loves, and so we the pioneers have killed our wilderness. Some say we had to. Be that as it may, I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?
    -- Aldo Leopold

#Country #Men #Pioneers

• Further more Yemen is leading pioneer in democratic practice, lots of brothers and friends testified on that.
    -- Ali Abdullah Saleh

#Brother #Practice #Pioneers

• On every side, and at every hour of the day, we came up against the relentless limitations of pioneer life.
    -- Anna Howard Shaw

#Two Sides #Pioneers #Hours

• Like the pioneers of old, a creative person breaks new ground daily.
    -- Anna Olson

#Creative #Pioneers #Break

• I have been very interested in labor movement. If I could have wished another life, I would have loved to be a pioneer woman in the beginning of labor movement.
    -- Astrid Lindgren

#Pioneers #Movement #Another Life

• A pioneer is generally a man who has outlived his credit or fortune in the cultivated parts.
    -- Benjamin Rush

#Men #Pioneers #Credit

• I may be the old-media id, but I think I may be entitled to some credit for being a new-media pioneer.
    -- Bill Keller

#Thinking #Media #Pioneers

• It used to be that Christian institutions and systems of dogma sustained the spiritual life of Christians. Increasingly, spirituality itself is what sustains everything else. Alan Jones is a pioneer in reimagining a Christian faith that emerges from authentic spirituality. His work stimulates and encourages me deeply
    -- Brian D. McLaren

#Christian #Spiritual #Pioneers

• With the Lincoln assassination, the South didnt feel it could mourn along with the North. But Garfield was beloved by all the American people. He was trusted and respected by North and South, by freed slaves and former slave owners. Also by pioneers, which his parents had been, and by immigrants.
    -- Candice Millard

#People #Parent #Pioneers

• I mean, when you're a pioneer and you are at the forefront of an offensive, you're going to be the most optimistic person.
    -- Carlos Ghosn

#Optimistic #Mean #Pioneers

• Negro banks, as a rule, have failed because the people, taught that their own pioneers in business cannot function in this sphere, withdrew their deposits.
    -- Carter G. Woodson

#Business #People #Pioneers

• To touch a person...to sleep with a person...is to become a pioneer," she whispered then, "a frontiersman at the edge of their private world, the strange, incomprehensible world of their interior, filled with customs you could never imitate, a language which sounds like your own but is really totally foreign, knowable only to them.
    -- Catherynne M. Valente

#Sleep #Sound #Pioneers

• America's last pioneers, urban nomads in search of wide open interior spaces
    -- Cathleen McGuigan

#America #Space #Pioneers

• A pioneer destroys things and calls it civilization.
    -- Charles Marion Russell

#Civilization #Pioneers

• Just as the pioneer travelers of the Conestoga wagon days kept personal journals, I, as a pioneer space traveler, would do the same.
    -- Christa McAuliffe

#Space #Pioneers #Wagons

• Galileo called doubt the father of invention; it is certainly the pioneer.
    -- Christian Nestell Bovee

#Father #Doubt #Pioneers

• There's so many celebrities now on the Internet and I feel that I was such a pioneer. Now everybody, your dog can have a website.
    -- Cindy Margolis

#Dog #Pioneers #Internet

• Garry Shandling has always been a pioneer of… meta entertainment. He's always been a defender of the creative right to use the frame as part of the painting.
    -- Dan Harmon

#Creative #Pioneers #Use

• I was a pioneer in MTV and I was there from the very beginning. So I saw how that developed and how loose it was and how much fun it was in its looseness. And I was influenced a lot by that.
    -- Daryl Hall

#Fun #Mtv #Pioneers

• It is in the Negev that the creativity and pioneer vigor of Israel shall be tested.
    -- David Ben-Gurion

#Creativity #Israel #Pioneers

• My grandfather, along with Carnegie, was a pioneer in philanthropy, which my father then practiced on a very large scale.
    -- David Rockefeller

#Father #Tears #Pioneers

• Pioneers get slaughtered, and the settlers prosper.
    -- Daymond John

#Pioneers

• When I started Dylan's Candy Bar in 2001, I wanted it to be a place that merged my love of pop culture, fashion, art and music with candy. Since then, we have been fortunate to pioneer artistic partnerships with many legends.
    -- Dylan Lauren

#Fashion #Art #Pioneers

• It is not easy to be a pioneer - but oh, it is fascinating!
    -- Elizabeth Blackwell

#Pioneers #Easy

• The pioneer kills what he loves.
    -- Elspeth Huxley

#Pioneers

• McDonald's has been extraordinary at site selection; it was a pioneer in studying the best places for retail locations. One of the things it did is study very carefully where sprawl was headed.
    -- Eric Schlosser

#Mcdonalds #Pioneers #Retail

• To the Pilgrim Mothers, who not only had their full share of the hardships and privations of pioneer life but also had the Pilgrim Fathers to endure.
    -- Fanny Fern

#Mother #Father #Pioneers

• If the Wright brothers hadn't put their lives on the line, we would not be flying around the world these days. So we need pioneers.
    -- Felix Baumgartner

#Brother #Flying #Pioneers

• I have never as yet gone a step to see a literary lion; but I would go a considerable way to see Emerson, this pioneer in the moral forests of the New World, who applies his axe to the roots of the old trees to hew them down and to open the paths for new planting.
    -- Fredrika Bremer

#Roots #Tree #Pioneers

• Curt Gowdy was a pioneer in our business and set the highest standards for everyone. His many contributions to ABC as host of 'American Sportsman' and other ABC Sports programs are indelible .
    -- George Bodenheimer

#Sports #Pioneers #Host

• The intensity of a national culture should be represented by... the general education level and... the exceptional merit of a small elite of pioneers.
    -- George Sarton

#Pioneers #Culture #Levels

• Never be a pioneer. It's the early Christian that gets the fattest lion.
    -- Hector Hugh Munro

#Christian #Pioneers #Lions

• George Bush calls his biggest fundraisers Rangers and Pioneers. We gather here today and we call ourselves simply Americans.
    -- Howard Dean

#Pioneers #Today #Rangers

• Rebels and non-conformists are often the pioneers and designers of change.
    -- Indira Gandhi

#Rebel #Pioneers #Designer

• We are saved from nothing if we are not saved from sin. Little sins are pioneers of hell. The backslider begins with what he foolishly considers trifling with little sins. There are no little sins. There was a time when all the evil that has existed in the world was comprehended in one sinful thought of our first parent; and all the now evil is the numerous and horrid progeny of one little sin.
    -- James Howell

#Evil #Parent #Pioneers

• J.L. Moreno was a pioneer of twentieth-century theater and psychotherapy. A remarkable work, Impromptu Man should be required reading for therapists and dramatists alike.
    -- Jeffrey K. Zeig

#Reading #Men #Pioneers

• It's not always as comfortable blazing the trail as it is walking on it.
    -- Joan Lunden

#Pioneers #Blazing #Trails

• I certainly have played women who have a pioneer spirit and longing for adventure.
    -- Kate Baldwin

#Adventure #Pioneers #Pioneer Spirit

• A very few lonely pioneers make their way to high places never before visited . . . they create the living conditions of mankind and the majority are living on their work.
    -- Kristian Birkeland

#Lonely #Majority #Pioneers

• What a glorious legacy of faith, courage, and ingenuity those noble early Mormon pioneers have left for us to build upon. My admiration for them deepens the longer I live.
    -- L. Tom Perry

#Legacy #Pioneers #Noble

• Just as the pioneers made the desert blossom as a rose, so too our lives and families will blossom if we follow their example and embrace their traditions. Yes, pioneer faith is needed as much in the world today as in any period of time. Once again, we need to know that heritage. We need to teach it, we need to be proud of it, and we need to preserve it.
    -- L. Tom Perry

#Rose #Example #Pioneers

• I don't talk about Amy Winehouse as a 'singer.' She's a pioneer. I listened to her endlessly when I started writing.
    -- Laura Mvula

#Writing #Pioneers #Amy

• A pioneer is not someone who makes her own soap. She is one who takes up her burdens and walks toward the future.
    -- Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

#Pioneers #Soap #Burden

• The virtual world is not the enemy. The pioneers invented a world they believed in, but the followers must follow that world whether they believe in it or not.
    -- Leos Carax

#Believe #Enemy #Pioneers

• Ultimately I wanted to be a pioneer swimmer, a distant descendant of Scott, Amundsen and Hillary, except that I would be an explorer of the water.
    -- Lewis Gordon

#Water #Pioneers #Would Be

• In a word I was a pioneer, and therefore had to blaze my own trail.
    -- Major Taylor

#Pioneers #Trails #Walking

• To me, Arnold was a pioneer in the spirit of Thomas Edison or Benjamin Franklin, while Tiger is a pioneer in the spirit of Bill Gates.
    -- Mark McCormack

#Bills #Pioneers #Spirit

• Pioneers may be picturesque figures, but they are often rather lonely ones.
    -- Nancy Astor

#Lonely #May #Pioneers

• Steve Jobs was a digital pioneer, but when he went home, he listened to vinyl.
    -- Neil Young

#Jobs #Home #Pioneers

• I cannot understand any woman's wanting to be the first woman to do anything. ... It is a devastating burden and I could not take it, could not be a pioneer, a Symbol of Something Greater.
    -- Nora Ephron

#Women #Firsts #Pioneers

• The eyes are the pioneers that first announce the soft tale of love.
    -- Propertius

#Eye #Firsts #Pioneers

• As The Pioneer Woman has grown and the revenue has grown, the prizes keep getting better, and that certainly feels good.
    -- Ree Drummond

#Feel Good #Get Better #Pioneers

• America once had the clarity of the pioneer ax.
    -- Robert Osborne

#America #Pioneers #Clarity

• [On being first black woman to earn a PhD in economics and first black woman admitted to Pennsylvania bar:] I never looked for anybody to hold the door open for me. I knew well that the only way I could get that door open was to knock it down: because I knocked all of them down.
    -- Sadie Tanner Mossell Alexander

#Doors #Black #Pioneers

• Our nation was built by pioneers - pioneers who accepted untold risks in pursuit of freedom, not by pioneers seeking offshore profits at the expense of American workers here at home.
    -- Ted Strickland

#Home #Risk #Pioneers

• Nobody ever understands what a pioneer is doing.
    -- Timothy Leary

#Pioneers

• This generation, our generation of people who benefited, must always be the pioneers who look to younger people and say mediocrity is not accommodated in what we do.
    -- Trevor Manuel

#Our Generation #People #Pioneers

• It is a beneficent incident of the ownership of land that a pioneer who reduces it to use, and helps to lay the foundations of a new State, finds a profit in the increasing value of land as the new State grows up.
    -- William Graham Sumner

#Growing Up #Land #Pioneers

• Molecular collision dynamics has been a wonderful area of research for all practitioners. This is especially true for those who were following the footsteps of pioneers and leaders of the field twenty years ago.
    -- Yuan T. Lee

#Years #Leader #Pioneers

• I was fortunate to be connected with bands who later became pioneers for certain genres of music scenes. And my art went along with them for that ride and became associated with it.
    -- Arik Roper

#Art #Pioneers #Band

• Cisco has been both a pioneer in legitimizing VoIP as an alternative to traditional telephony but also an innovator as it has maintained its competitive lead over the past decade.
    -- Barry O'Sullivan

#Past #Pioneers #Alternatives

• [My muse] feels nostalgic for Japan, and, perhaps strangely, for the pioneer days of America.
    -- Quentin S. Crisp

#Japan #America #Pioneers

• The footsteps of a pioneer become ultimately the highway of a nation.
    -- Ameen Rihani

#Pioneers #Highways #Nations

• The new course we're on at Interface ... is to pioneer the next Industrial Revolution: one that is kinder and gentler to the earth.
    -- Ray Anderson

#Pioneers #Earth #Next

• Gifford Pinchot points out that in colonial and pioneer days the forest was a foe and an obstacle to the settler. It had to be cleared away... But [now] as a nation we have not yet come to have a proper respect for the forest and to regard it as an indispensable part of our resources-one which is easily destroyed but difficult to replace; one which confers great benefits while it endures, but whose disappearance is accompanied by a train of evil consequences not readily foreseen and positively irreparable.
    -- Richard E. Blackwelder

#Evil #Forests #Pioneers

• The way of the pioneer is always rough.
    -- Harvey S. Firestone

#Pioneers #Way #Rough

• To be able to be there first, I love the pioneer thing. It's exciting to me. And they pay full rate, they're really nice, they support the work, and they said yes. What could be bad? It's the Wild West. You can do what you want.
    -- Jenji Kohan

#Nice #Support #Pioneers

• Those faithful Mormon pioneers ... were willing to put everything on the altar to sacrifice for and defend their God and their faith.
    -- William R. Walker

#Sacrifice #Faithful #Pioneers