Vivid quotes

• As the years go by and I make more films, I am increasingly interested in capturing place as a vivid backdrop for my films.
    -- Alexander Payne

#Years #Vivid #Film

• However, my problems with my memory are further complicated by the fact that while I don't have any recollection of things I have actually done, I have very vivid recollections of loads of things that I haven't done.
    -- Alexei Sayle

#Memories #Vivid #Facts

• Brilliant. [Lasdun] seems to me certainly among the most gifted, vivid, and deft poets now writing in English, and far better than many who are more famous. His capacities are solidly established; his promise is nearly infinite.
    -- Anthony Hecht

#Writing #Promise #Vivid

• The first Broadway show I ever heard was the recording of Carousel, and it was a very vivid experience.
    -- Bernadette Peters

#Broadway #Vivid #Firsts

• I sometimes go for the strongest, most vivid colour on the palette, which in the case of movies is violence.
    -- Brian De Palma

#Vivid #Violence #Sometimes

• Like any other composer of opera, I choose a subject not for polemical reasons, but because it contains vivid characters in highly charged dramatic situations.
    -- Carlisle Floyd

#Character #Opera #Vivid

• Vowing, even intense vowing, is often useless. The next day comes and the next day goes. What works is making a vivid, concrete plan.
    -- Carol S. Dweck

#Growth #Useless #Vivid

• Human models are more vivid and more persuasive than explicit moral commands.
    -- Daniel J. Boorstin

#Vivid #Moral #Persuasive

• With gritty action and realistic science, Peter Watts brings to life a dark and vivid world.
    -- David Brin

#Dark #World #Vivid

• Take my verses too serious ya hate me, cause I'm the one to paint a vivid picture, no HD.
    -- Drake

#Hate #Humble #Vivid

• It's incongruous that the older we get, the more likely we are to turn in the direction of religion. Less vivid and intense ourselves, closer to the grave, we begin to conceive of ourselves as immortal.
    -- Edward Hoagland

#Religion #Vivid #Intense

• The reason to drive this point home with a vivid and frank comparison is many New Yorkers are still not confronting the reality of how serious our crisis is. It was an exhortation to face reality.
    -- Eliot Spitzer

#Home #Reality #Vivid

• The arts make vivid the fact that words do not, in their literal form or number, exhaust what we can know. The limits of our language do not define the limits of our cognition.
    -- Elliot W. Eisner

#Art #Numbers #Vivid

• Life without a phone is riskier, lonelier, more vivid.
    -- Eloisa James

#Phones #Vivid

• Glory is largely a theatrical concept. There is no striving for glory without a vivid awareness of an audience.
    -- Eric Hoffer

#Vivid #Awareness #Glory

• A movement that we will to execute is never more than a represented movement, and appears in a different domain from that of the executed movement, which always takes place when the image is vivid enough.
    -- Ernst Mach

#Different #Movement #Vivid

• Georgian film is a completely unique phenomenon, vivid, philosophically inspiring, very wise, childlike. There is everything that can make me cry and I ought to say that it (my crying) is not an easy thing.
    -- Federico Fellini

#Wise #Unique #Vivid

• [Nietzsche] attributes to himself an extremely vivid and sensitive instinct of cleanliness. At the first contact the filth lying at the base of another's nature is revealed to him. The unclean are therefore ill at ease hi his presence
    -- Georg Brandes

#Lying #Ease #Vivid

• To feel beauty is a better thing than to understand how we come to feel it. To have imagination and taste, to love the best, to be carried by the contemplation of nature to a vivid faith in the ideal, all this is more, a great deal more, than any science can hope to be.
    -- George Santayana

#Imagination #Vivid #Taste

• Nature, with her customary beneficence, has ordained that man shall not learn how to live until the reasons for living are stolen from him, that he shall find no enjoyment until he has become incapable of vivid pleasure.
    -- Giacomo Leopardi

#Men #Age #Vivid

• Our business here is to be Utopian, to make vivid and credible, if we can, first this facet and then that, of an imaginary whole and happy world.
    -- H. G. Wells

#World #Vivid #Firsts

• It never leaves, not with someone we love. Their presence burns too vivid in our memories. Happen that is as it should be, for otherwise we would too easy forget.
    -- Helen Hollick

#Memories #Vivid #Forget

• I have a very vivid imagination.
    -- Janice Dickinson

#Imagination #Vivid

• When you give up yourself, that's when you will feel the true spirit of Christmas. And that's giving that's serving others and that's when you feel Which Christmas is the most vivid to me? It's always the next Christmas.
    -- Joanne Woodward

#Christmas #Giving Up #Vivid

• Words are capable of making experience more vivid, and also of organizing it. They can scare us, and they can comfort us.
    -- Jonathan Safran Foer

#Scare #Comfort #Vivid

• Some memories are unforgettable, remaining ever vivid and heart-warming!
    -- Joseph B. Wirthlin

#Memories #Heart #Vivid

• Certainty is the most vivid condition of ignorance and the most necessay condition for knowledge.
    -- Kedar Joshi

#Ignorance #Knowledge #Vivid

• Merely to see... is not enough. It is necessary to have a fresh, vivid, physical contact with the object you draw through as many of the senses as possible - and especially through the sense of touch.
    -- Kimon Nicolaides

#Vivid #Enough #Contact

• From the summer of my twelfth year I carry a series of images more vivid and lasting than any others of my boyhood and indelible beyond all attempts the years make to erase or fade them.
    -- Larry Watson

#Summer #Years #Vivid

• World-class performance comes by striving for a target just out of reach, but with a vivid awareness of how the gap might be breached.  Over time, through constant repetition and deep concentration, the gap will disappear, only for a new target to be created, just out of reach once again.
    -- Matthew Syed

#Class #World #Vivid

• The anguish in London is a vivid reminder of why we cannot relent in taking the steps necessary to defend our homeland from the present terrorist threat.
    -- Mike Pence

#Vivid #London #Steps

• The only thing I can say is consistent in all my paintings is vivid color.
    -- Paul Stanley

#Color #Vivid #Painting

• There's a bookstore in New York where you could buy scripts, and I got addicted to them because they were easy, quick reads and the pictures were so vivid.
    -- Robbie Robertson

#New York #Vivid #Scripts

• Ko Un is a crucial poet for the twenty-first century, and this is an enormously fresh and vivid translation.
    -- Robert Hass

#Vivid #Firsts #Twenties

• Above all, it's hard learning to live with vivid mental images of scenes I cared for and failed to photograph. It is the edgy existence within me of these unmade images that is the only assurance that the best photographs are yet to be made.
    -- Sam Abell

#Photography #Vivid #Scene

• There is no glory in war, yet from the blackness of its history, there emerge vivid colours of human character and courage. Those who risked their lives to help their friends.
    -- Silvia Cartwright

#War #Character #Vivid

• Memories began swarming in, vivid and impatient, like a litter of little mice.
    -- Simone Berteaut

#Memories #Littles #Vivid

• Literature, like memory, selects only the vivid patches.
    -- T. E. Hulme

#Memories #Vivid #Literature

• A vivid tale of exploration set in a howling, deadly wilderness.
    -- T. J. Stiles

#Vivid #Wilderness #Exploration

• Blood Riders is a novel like you've never read before - part Western and part horror and one-hundred percent sweet excitement. It's vivid and high-velocity, too. I couldn't put it down.
    -- T. Jefferson Parker

#Sweet #Blood #Vivid

• What pleases the public is lively and vivid delineation which makes no demands on the intellect; but passionate and absolutist youth can only be enthralled by a problem.
    -- Thomas Mann

#Passionate #Demand #Vivid

• I've got kids now and they will constantly pull you into the here and now - they are very present and very vivid.
    -- Tim Finn

#Kids #Vivid #Here And Now

• Those of our writers who have possessed a vivid personal talent have been paralyzed by a want of social background.
    -- Van Wyck Brooks

#Want #Vivid #Talent

• Pixar has outdone itself in visual magic and vivid storytelling.
    -- Peter Travers

#Magic #Vivid #Pixar

• It's a hard thing to explain to somebody who hasn't felt it, but the presence of death and danger has a way of bringing you fully awake. It makes things vivid.
    -- Tim O'Brien

#Inspirational #Vivid #Way

• One meets and wakes you to vivid life in an immortal hour. Thousands could not do it through eternity.
    -- Mary Catherwood

#Wakes You #Vivid #Eternity

• Indeed, the most vivid travel experiences usually find you by accident, and the qualities that will make you fall in love with a place are rarely the features that took you there.
    -- Rolf Potts

#Falling In Love #Quality #Vivid