Fossils quotes

• The probability that we face global warming caused by fossil fuels is now so overwhelming that it is legitimate to doubt the motives of those who deny it
    -- Adair Turner, Baron Turner of Ecchinswell

#Doubt #Fuel #Fossils

• The consensus is clear. We need an immediate and determined shift to a clean, renewable economy. The continued mass burning of fossil fuels is inconsistent with a healthy, prosperous future for our civilization.
    -- Al Gore

#Civilization #Healthy #Fossils

• On the contrary, there is a considerable body of evidence that these fossil traces, known as 'dino-fuzz', have nothing to do with bird feathers... I, and many others, do not find any credible evidence that those structures represent protofeathers.
    -- Alan Feduccia

#Bird #Body #Fossils

• I ask citizens and governments everywhere to do their part by conserving energy and reducing the use of fossil fuels for the good of the world community. This is our duty to those who share this world with us and to those who follow us: Wherever we see a threat to our environment we must take action
    -- Arnold Schwarzenegger

#Government #Community #Fossils

• Society's dependence on fossil fuels is jeopardising social and economic progress.
    -- Ban Ki-moon

#Progress #Fuel #Fossils

• The clear and present danger of climate change means we cannot burn our way to prosperity. We already rely too heavily on fossil fuels. We need to find a new, sustainable path to the future we want. We need a clean industrial revolution.
    -- Ban Ki-moon

#Mean #Fossils #Path

• We can either save the planet from catastrophic warming, or protect fossil fuel CEOs. Not both. Do the math(s)
    -- Bill McKibben

#Math #Fuel #Fossils

• There is an urgent need to stop subsidizing the fossil fuel industry, dramatically reduce wasted energy, and significantly shift our power supplies from oil, coal, and natural gas to wind, solar, geothermal, and other renewable energy sources.
    -- Bill McKibben

#Oil #Wind #Fossils

• Alone among businesses, the fossil-fuel industry is allowed to dump its main waste, carbon dioxide, for free
    -- Bill McKibben

#Business #Fossils #Fuel

• Not one change of species into another is on record ... we cannot prove that a single species has been changed.
    -- Charles Darwin

#Records #Fossils #Changed

• There are enough fossils showing distinctive features to rule out the possibility these are unusual or aberrant modern humans
    -- Chris Stringer

#Fossils #Unusual #Modern

• Improved energy productivity and renewable energy are both available in abundance—and new policies and technologies are rapidly making them more economically competitive with fossil fuels. In combination, these energy options represent the most robust alternative to the current energy system, capable of providing the diverse array of energy services that a modern economy requires. Given the urgency of the climate problem, that is indeed convenient.
    -- Christopher Flavin

#Technology #Fossils #Energy

• Palaeontologists cannot live by uniformitarianism alone. This may be termed the Phenomenon of the Fallibility of the Fossil Record.
    -- D. V. Ager

#Records #May #Fossils

• There are gaps in the fossil graveyard, places where there should be intermediate forms, but where there is nothing whatsoever instead. No paleontologist..denies that this is so. It is simply a fact, Darwin's theory and the fossil record are in conflict.
    -- David Berlinski

#Records #Gaps #Fossils

• No matter what else happens, this is the century in which we must learn to live without fossil fuel.
    -- David Goodstein

#Fuel #Matter #Fossils

• We now have a quarter of a million fossil species, but the situation hasn't changed much... We have even fewer examples of evolutionary transition than we had in Darwin's time.
    -- David M. Raup

#Example #Transition #Fossils

• The truth is, as most of us know, that global warming is real and humans are major contributors, mainly because we wastefully burn fossil fuels.
    -- David Suzuki

#Real #Fuel #Fossils

• Some secrets are like fossils and the stone has become too heavy to turn over.
    -- Delphine de Vigan

#Secret #Stones #Fossils

• We can no longer continue feeding our addiction to fossil fuels as if there is no tomorrow. For there will be no tomorrow.
    -- Desmond Tutu

#Addiction #Fuel #Fossils

• When the first fossils began to be found in eastern Africa, in the late 1950s, I thought, what a wonderful marriage this was, biology and anthropology. I was around 16 years old when I made this particular choice of academic pursuit.
    -- Donald Johanson

#Years #Choices #Fossils

• A word is no light matter. Words have with truth been called fossil poetry, each, that is, a symbol of a creative thought.
    -- Edith Hamilton

#Light #Creative #Fossils

• We are nothing: imitations, copies, phantoms: repeaters of what we understand badly, that is, hardly at all: the animated fossils of a prehistory that have lived neither here nor there, consequently anywhere, for we are aboriginal foreigners, transplanted from birth in our respective countries of origin.
    -- Enrique Lihn

#Country #Fossils #Phantoms

• Wherever we look at the living biota … discontinuities are overwhelmingly frequent…The discontinuities are even more striking in the fossil record. New species usually appear in the fossil record suddenly, not connected with their ancestors by a series of intermediates.
    -- Ernst Mayr

#Looks #Records #Fossils

• Given the fact of evolution, one would expect the fossils to document a gradual steady change from ancestral forms to the descendants. But this is not what the paleontologist finds. Instead, he or she finds gaps in just about every phyletic series.
    -- Ernst Mayr

#Gaps #Fossils #Facts

• A knowledge of the true age of the Earth and of the fossil record makes it impossible for any balanced intellect to believe in the literal truth of every part of the Bible in the way that fundamentalists do.
    -- Francis Crick

#Believe #Age #Fossils

• Certainly paleontologists have found samples of an extremely small fraction, only, of the earth's extinct species, and even for groups that are most readily preserved and found as fossils they can never expect to find more than a fraction.
    -- George Gaylord Simpson

#Groups #Earth #Fossils

• The sand stones had fragments of charcoal on some surfaces but found no recognisable fossils.
    -- George Mercer Dawson

#Stones #Fossils #Sand

• Oaths are the fossils of piety.
    -- George Santayana

#Promise #Fossils #Swearing

• Why has not anyone seen that fossils alone gave birth to a theory about the formation of the earth, that without them, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the globe.
    -- Georges Cuvier

#Science #Earth #Fossils

• It is my object, in the following work, to travel over ground which has as yet been little explored and to make my reader acquainted with a species of Remains, which, though absolutely necessary for understanding the history of the globe, have been hitherto almost uniformly neglected.
    -- Georges Cuvier

#Understanding #Littles #Fossils

• It is to them [fossils] alone that we owe the commencement of even a Theory of the Earth ... By them we are enabled to ascertain, with the utmost certainty, that our earth has not always been covered over by the same external crust, because we are thoroughly assured that the organized bodies to which these fossil remains belong must have lived upon the surface before they came to be buried, as they now are, at a great depth.
    -- Georges Cuvier

#Body #Earth #Fossils

• The science of fossil shells is the first step towards the study of the earth.
    -- Giovanni Battista Brocchi

#Fossils #Firsts #Steps

• A fossil is so powerful. It's moving. This is my ancestor. The naturalist is moved by the fossil... not the cross.
    -- Greg Graffin

#Powerful #Moving #Fossils

• You see, the Greenhouse Effect is a direct result of burning fossil or old carbon fuels.
    -- Jack Herer

#Burning #Fuel #Fossils

• The fact is fossil fuel carbon will stay in the surface climate system for millennia.
    -- James Hansen

#Climate #Fuel #Fossils

• CEOs of fossil energy companies know what they are doing and are aware of long-term consequences of continued business as usual. In my opinion, these CEOs should be tried for high crimes against humanity and nature.
    -- James Hansen

#Long #Humanity #Fossils

• Burning all the fossil fuels will destroy the planet we know, Creation, the planet of stable climate in which civilization developed.
    -- James Hansen

#Civilization #Fossils #Energy

• The climate is nearing tipping points. Changes are beginning to appear and there is a potential for explosive changes, effects that would be irreversible, if we do not rapidly slow fossil-fuel emissions over the next few decades.
    -- James Hansen

#Next #Fossils #Energy

• Rising carbon price is essential to 'decarbonize' the economy - to remove the nation towards the era beyond fossil fuels.
    -- James Hansen

#Eras #Fossils #Essentials

• If a power station were to be built down the road, I'd prefer a nuclear plant over an oil burner, and definitely over a coal burner. We simply have to lessen our consumption of fossil fuels.
    -- James Lovelock

#Oil #Fossils #Nuclear

• The truth is, natural organisms have managed to do everything we want to do without guzzling fossil fuels, polluting the planet or mortgaging the future.
    -- Janine Benyus

#Fuel #Want #Fossils

• Permanence of instinct must go with permanence of form...The history of the present must teach us the history of the past.
    -- Jean-Henri Fabre

#Past #Fossils #Instinct

• It is sunlight in modified form which turns all the windmills and water wheels and the machinery which they drive. It is the energy derived from coal and petroleum (fossil sunlight) which propels our steam and gas engines, our locomotives and automobiles. ... Food is simply sunlight in cold storage.
    -- John Harvey Kellogg

#Water #Fossils #Wheels

• I think that the world is in the middle of a huge transition that we have to make to renewable energy. We have to transition away from fossil fuels very, very quickly.
    -- Josh Fox

#Thinking #Fossils #Energy

• The 20th century was the time when the world turned to use of fossil fuels and the 21st century will be the century of the renewables.
    -- Lester R. Brown

#Fossils #Use #Fuel

• One of my top priorities in Congress is to reduce U.S. dependence on fossil fuels.
    -- Lincoln Diaz-Balart

#Priorities #Fuel #Fossils

• We need to profoundly revise all of our taxes and charges. The aim is to tax pollution - notably fossil fuels - more, and tax work less
    -- Nicolas Sarkozy

#Fuel #Fossils #Needs

• Paleontologists ever since Darwin have been searching (largely in vain) for the sequences of insensibly graded series of fossils that would stand as examples of the sort of wholesale transformation of species that Darwin envisioned as the natural product of the evolutionary process. Few saw any reason to demur - though it is a startling fact that ...most species remain recognizably themselves, virtually unchanged throughout their occurrence in geological sediments of various ages.
    -- Niles Eldredge

#Age #Fossils #Saws

• Darwin's prediction of rampant, albeit gradual, change affecting all lineages through time is refuted. The record is there, and the record speaks for tremendous anatomical conservatism. Change in the manner Darwin expected is just not found in the fossil record.
    -- Niles Eldredge

#Records #Fossils #Lineage

• Most importantly, I agree that the truth of these matters should be determined by interpretation of scientific evidence - experiments, fossil studies and the like.
    -- Phillip E. Johnson

#Agreement #Matter #Fossils

• Through the study of fossils I had already been initiated into the mysteries of prehistoric creations.
    -- Pierre Loti

#Fossils #Mystery #Study

• Language is fossil Poetry.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

#Poetry #Fossils #Language

• Language does not leave fossils, at least not until it has become written.
    -- Richard Brautigan

#Fossils #Doe #Language

• When out fossil hunting, it is very easy to forget that rather than telling you how the creatures lived, the remains you find indicate only where they became fossilized.
    -- Richard Leakey

#Hunting #Fossils #Forget

• To investigate the history of man's development, the most important finds are, of course, hominid fossils.
    -- Richard Leakey

#Men #Important #Fossils

• The fossil record contains no trace of these preliminary stages in the development of many-celled organisms.
    -- Robert Jastrow

#Fossils #Records #Development

• We should be increasing research and development into our fossil fuel program.
    -- Tim Holden

#Development #Fuel #Fossils

• Fossils are of four kinds, viz. saline, earthy, inflammable and metallic; hence arise four classes.
    -- Torbern Bergman

#Class #Fossils #Four

• The mineral kingdom consists of the fossil substances found in the earth. These are either entirely destitute of organic structure, or, having once possessed it, possess it no longer: such are the petrefactions.
    -- Torbern Bergman

#Earth #Kingdoms #Fossils

• No conclusion is more fully established, than the important fact of the total absence of any vestiges of the human species throughout the entire series of geological formations.
    -- William Buckland

#Important #Fossils #Facts

• Trusting your energy policy to the fossil fuel lobby is like trusting your health care system to the tobacco lobby.
    -- William H. Calvin

#Fuel #Care #Fossils

• Anyone who would tackle our current addiction to fossil fuels is going to have to maneuver around denial.
    -- William H. Calvin

#Addiction #Fossils #Denial

• When I was a kid the highlight of my week would be doing a fossil hunt at the local quarry... that kind of thing.
    -- Alice Lowe

#Kids #Would Be #Fossils

• So many people are on the front lines of this fossil fuel frenzy. It is infused with a sense of urgency.
    -- Avi Lewis

#People #Fossils #Fuel

• Football is my life. There is no question about that.
    -- Chad Ochocinco

#Football #Fossils

• If you were to ask me to define a photograph in a few words, I would say it is a fossil of light and time.
    -- Daido Moriyama

#Light #Fossils #Few Words

• I went with Beach Fossils and we played 40 shows because we wanted people to see us.
    -- Zachary Cole Smith

#Beach #People #Fossils

• I am not a global warming sceptic. I accept that rising human-caused CO2 from fossil sources could 'change the climate'. The basic physics is there to support this view. But where is the evidence that the putative change would be large or damaging?
    -- Chris de Freitas

#Views #Support #Fossils

• It must be significant that nearly all the evolutionary stories I learned as a student....have now been debunked.
    -- D. V. Ager

#Stories #Fossils #Students

• I like the analogy that the way that we live in Western Society, the energy that we consume in the form of fossil fuels, is the energy equivalent in pre-fossil fuel terms of having 500 slaves.
    -- John Lindsay

#Way #Fossils #Energy