Examination quotes

• You can go left, you can go right, I don't give a damn. Just make a decision.
    -- Aaron Eckhart

#Giving #Decision #Examination

• It must be said that today, at the end of its semantic evolution, the word 'terrorist' is an intrinsically propagandistic term. It has no neutral readability. It dispenses with all reasoned examination of political situations, of their causes and consequences.
    -- Alain Badiou

#Political #Examination #Today

• Ordinarily logic is divided into the examination of ideas, judgments, arguments, and methods. The two latter are generally reduced to judgments, that is, arguments are reduced to apodictic judgments that such and such conclusions follow from such and such premises, and method is reduced to judgments that prescribe the procedure that should be followed in the search for truth.
    -- Andre-Marie Ampere

#Ideas #Two #Examination

• It’s not only for unanswered questions that we seek knowledge but also for the examination of unquestioned answers.
    -- Anodea Judith

#Unanswered Questions #Answers #Examination

• Twas the saying of an ancient sage that humour was the only test of gravity, and gravity of humour. For a subject which would not bear raillery was suspicious; and a jest which would not bear a serious examination was certainly false wit.
    -- Anthony Ashley Cooper, 1st Earl of Shaftesbury

#Sage #Examination #Tests

• There is no more fascinating subject in which a person may become occupied than an examination into the history of his ancestry.
    -- Archibald F. Bennett

#Historical #Examination #May

• Humor is the only test of gravity, and gravity of humor; for a subject which will not bear raillery is suspicious, and a jest which will not bear serious examination is false wit.
    -- Aristotle

#Humor #Examination #Tests

• In the collecting of evidence upon any medical subject, there are but three sources from which we can hope to obtain it: viz. from observation of the living subject; from examination of the dead; and from experiments upon living animals.
    -- Astley Cooper

#Animal #Three #Examination

• 'The want of proper examination, true contrition, and a firm purpose of amendment, is the cause of bad confessions, and of the ruin of souls.'
    -- Benedict Joseph Labre

#Soul #Purpose #Examination

• Cut through the ridicule and search for factual information in most of the skeptical commentary and one is usually left with nothing. This is not surprising. After all, how can one rationally object to a call for scientific examination of evidence? Be skeptical of the skeptics.
    -- Bernard Haisch

#Cutting #Examination #Information

• Any time you have an individual who is very confident in their abilities to persuade, there can be a rude awakening under cross-examination.
    -- Catherine Crier

#Rude #Examination #Awakening

• The motives even of our best actions will not always bear examination.
    -- Charlotte Lennox

#Motivation #Examination #Bears

• The simplest definition of advertising, and one that will probably meet the test of critical examination, is that advertising is selling in print.
    -- Daniel Starch

#Marketing #Examination #Definitions

• We also have issue oriented storylines which are an examination of an issue, be it ethical or social.
    -- David E. Kelley

#Issues #Examination #Ethical

• Great success in examinations does naturally not as a rule go with originality of thought.
    -- Edward Carpenter

#Doe #Examination #Originality

• Is it possible that even happy moments of pleasure never stand up to a rigorous examination? Possible.
    -- Elena Ferrante

#Examination #Moments #Pleasure

• Histhry is a post-mortem examination. It tellsye what a counthry died iv. But I'd like to know what it lived iv.
    -- Finley Peter Dunne

#History #Examination

• My anger thought you too ignoble for my love, and close examination finds you too magnificent, and only equals are joined together smoothly.
    -- Franz Grillparzer

#Anger #Together #Examination

• The criterion of true beauty is that it increases on examination; if false, that it lessens.
    -- Fulke Greville, 1st Baron Brooke

#Beauty #Examination #Increase

• Our examination of computer viruses leads us to the conclusion that they are very close to what we might define as "artificial life." Rather than representing a scientific achievement, this probably represents a flaw in our definition.
    -- Gene Spafford

#Achievement #Examination #Definitions

• Previous to this time I had never even a balloon except from a distance. Being interested in their construction, I was about to institute a thorough examination of all its parts, when the aeronaut announced that all was ready. He inquired whether I desired to go up alone, or he should accompany me. My desire, if frankly expressed, would have been not to go up at all; but if I was to go, company was certainly desirable. With an attempt at indifference, I intimated that he might go along.
    -- George Armstrong Custer

#Distance #Desire #Examination

• The criterion of true beauty is, that it increases in examination; of false, that it lessens. There is something, therefore, in true beauty that corresponds with the right reason, and it is not merely the creature of fancy.
    -- George Grenville

#Beauty #Art #Examination

• The human mind can hardly remain entirely free from bias, and decisive opinions are often formed before a thorough examination of a subject from all its aspects has been made.
    -- H. P. Blavatsky

#Mind #Examination #Opinion

• Long before we understand ourselves through the process of self-examination, we understand ourselves in a self-evident way in the family, society and state in which we live.
    -- Hans-Georg Gadamer

#Self #Long #Examination

• Never, never, never on cross-examination ask a witness a question you don't already know the answer to, was a tenet I absorbed with my baby food. Do it, and you'll often get an answer you don't want.
    -- Harper Lee

#Baby #Questions And Answers #Examination

• Looking at obesity without preconceived ideas, one would assume that the main trend of research should be directed toward an examination of abnormalities of the fat metabolism, since by definition excessive accumulation of fat is the underlying abnormality. It so happens that this is the least work has been done.
    -- Hilde Bruch

#Ideas #Examination #Trends

• To make a covenant with the Lord to always keep His commandments is a serious obligation, and to renew that covenant by partaking of the sacrament is equally serious. The solemn moments of thought while the sacrament is being served have great significance. They are moments of self-examination, introspection, self-discernment...a time to reflect and to resolve.
    -- Howard W. Hunter

#Self #Examination #Covenant

• I would do it [study UFOs], but before agreeing to do it, we must insist upon full access to discs recovered. For instance in the L.A. case, the Army grabbed it and would not let us have it for cursory examination.
    -- J. Edgar Hoover

#Army #Examination #Study

• The 'medical examination' to which abductees are said to be subjected, often accompanied by sadistic sexual manipulation, is reminiscient of the medieval tales of encounters with demons. It makes no sense in a sophisticated or technical framework: any intelligent being equipped with the scientific marvels that UFOs possess would be in a position to achieve any of these alleged scientific objectives in a shorter time and with fewer risks.
    -- Jacques Vallee

#Intelligent #Risk #Examination

• Error, never can be consistent, nor can truth fail of having support from the accurate examination of every circumstance.
    -- James Hutton

#Errors #Support #Examination

• I was originally going to be a lawyer, and the only thing I remember from the art of cross-examination is - you can see this one coming up Sixth Avenue - never ask a question the answer to which you do not know.
    -- James Lipton

#Art #Answers #Examination

• The grounding in natural sciences which I obtained in the course of my medical studies, including preliminary examinations in botany, zoology, physics, and chemistry, was to become decisive in determining the trend of my literary work.
    -- Johannes V. Jensen

#Examination #Trends #Medical

• I abandoned chemistry to concentrate on mathematics and physics. In 1942, I travelled to Cambridge to take the scholarship examination at Trinity College, received an award and entered the university in October 1943.
    -- John Pople

#College #Awards #Examination

• If we take an examination of what is understood by happiness ... we shall find all its properties ... under this short definition, that it is a perpetual possession of being well deceived.
    -- Jonathan Swift

#Happiness #Definitions #Examination

• At the time of your examination(of sins) beware of the devil that ties your tongue.
    -- Josemaria Escriva

#Ties #Devil #Examination

• Students should not feel as if they had missed the boat if they failed examinations and should be presented with more opportunities to further their studies.
    -- Joseph Muscat

#Opportunity #Examination #Students

• Even when I'm writing in character I'm normally still writing about things I know or things that have happened to me or using that character to start an exploration of my own consciousness. Really though, any character that you can examine is just an examination of a part of your own consciousness.
    -- Karen Walker

#Writing #Character #Examination

• A great many things which in times of lesser knowledge we imagined to be superstitious or useless, prove today on examination to have been of immense value to mankind.
    -- Lafcadio Hearn

#Great Day #Useless #Examination

• The history of science shows that the progress of science has constantly been hampered by the tyrannical influence of certain conceptions that finally came to be considered as dogma. For this reason, it is proper to submit periodically to a very searching examination, principles that we have come to assume without any more discussion.
    -- Louis de Broglie

#Progress #Principles #Examination

• All of us must come to an honest, open self-examination, an awareness within as to who and what we want to be.
    -- M. Russell Ballard

#Self #Priorities #Examination

• What really annoys me are the ones who write to say, I am doing your book for my final examinations and could you please tell me what the meaning of it is. I find it just so staggering--that you're supposed to explain the meaning of your book to some total stranger! If I knew what the meanings of my books were, I wouldn't have bothered to write them.
    -- Margaret Drabble

#Book #Writing #Examination

• Ethical teaching is weakened if it is tied up with dogmas that will not bear examination.
    -- Margaret E. Knight

#Teaching #Atheism #Examination

• Good-faith re-examination of a position you've held in the past should be seen as a virtue, not a vice.
    -- Mark Udall

#Past #Examination #Vices

• There is no greater delight than to be conscious of sincerity on self-examination.
    -- Mencius

#Self #Delight #Examination

• Upon hearing the results of her breast examination, the First Lady said - "I guess it's my turn."
    -- Nancy Reagan

#Cancer #Examination #Hearing

• I wonder if, in fact, we have been observed by aliens and upon close examination of human conduct and human behavior they have concluded that there is no sign of intelligent life on Earth.
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

#Intelligent #Earth #Examination

• Somewhere, within her, in a deep recess, crouched discontent. She began to lose confidence in the fullness of her life, the glow began to fade from her conception of it. As the days multiplied, her need of something, something vaguely familiar, but which she could not put a name to and hold for definite examination, became almost intolerable. She went through moments of overwhelming anguish. She felt shut in, trapped.
    -- Nella Larsen

#Names #Examination #Needs

• In examinations the foolish ask questions that the wise cannot answer.
    -- Oscar Wilde

#Wise #Wisdom #Examination

• I was never very good at exams, having a poor memory and finding the examination process rather artificial, and there never seemed to be enough time to follow up things that really interested me.
    -- Paul Nurse

#Memories #Examination #Enough Time

• Down through the centuries, this trick has been tried by various establishments throughout the world. They force people to get involved in the kind of examination that has only one aim and that is to stamp out dissent.
    -- Pete Seeger

#People #World #Examination

• I think therapy is a rather misguided notion of capitalist societies whereby the self-indulgent examination of one's life supersedes the actual living of said life.
    -- Peter Cameron

#Thinking #Self #Examination

• The crucial question one comes back to is the examination; without that experience is meaningless. And I think it's true that society is becoming more and more passive, less and less fired up with enthusiasm, in many spheres.
    -- Peter Hammill

#Thinking #Examination #Enthusiasm

• I would have to point out in the strongest terms the autocracy of the Liberal structure and the cowardice of its members. I have never seen in all my examination of politics so degrading a spectacle as that of all these Liberals turning their coats in unison with their Chief, when they saw the chance to take power.
    -- Pierre Trudeau

#Coats #Examination #Saws

• Let America realize that self-scrutiny is not treason. Self-examination is not disloyalty.
    -- Richard Cushing

#Self #America #Examination

• I think life is self-examination. Certainly the voyage that one takes.
    -- Richard Gere

#Thinking #Self #Examination

• Fraud and falsehood only dread examination. Truth invites it.
    -- Samuel Johnson

#Examination #Fraud #Dread

• Saul Gorn, an authority on machine oi automated language who has expanded his interests from the use of the computer foi information storage and retrieval to the broader topic of the "'information pollution" and an examination of the forces which contribute to it...
    -- Saul Gorn

#Examination #Information #Topics

• Here are some of the questions and answers to an examination paper in chess that was given some time ago
    -- Siegbert Tarrasch

#Paper #Examination #Chess

• I visited the Gymnasium in The Hague and passed my final examination (in the sciences section) in 1943.
    -- Simon van der Meer

#Finals #Examination #Gymnasiums

• An examination of Indian Vedic doctrines shows that it is in tune with the most advanced scientific and philosophical thought of the West.
    -- Sir John Woodroffe

#Philosophical #Doctrine #Examination

• Unsoundness in a slave, as well as in a horse, detracts materially from his value. If no warranty is given, a close examination is a matter of particular importance to the Negro jockey.
    -- Solomon Northup

#Horse #Examination #Matter

• The achievement of happiness requires not the ... satisfaction of our needs ... but the examination and transformation of those needs.
    -- Stanley Cavell

#Happiness #Achievement #Examination

• The important thing is not the planning of an Index Verborum Prohibitorum of current noble nouns, but rather the examination of their linguistic function.
    -- Theodor Adorno

#Important #Nouns #Examination

• If only I had more money is the easiest way to postpone the intense self-examination and decision-making necessary to create a life of enjoyment - now and not later.
    -- Tim Ferriss

#Self #Decision #Examination

• In an age of constant live connections, the central question of self-examination is drifting from ‘Who are you?’ towards ‘What are you doing?
    -- Tom Chatfield

#Self #Age #Examination

• Nobody really knows what the Bourne shell's grammar is. Even examination of the source code is little help.
    -- Tom Duff

#Shells #Examination #Littles

• And finally I begin to have such a success in my examinations that I found myself in a career you see.
    -- Victoria Gomez Cima

#Congratulations #Careers #Examination

• One of the first things we teach medical students is to listen to the patient by taking a careful medical history. Ninety percent of the time, you can arrive at an uncannily accurate diagnosis by paying close attention, using physical examination and sophisticated lab test to confirm your hunch (and to increase the bill to the insurance company).
    -- Vilayanur S. Ramachandran

#Attention #Examination #Labs

• In an examination those who do not wish to know ask questions of those who cannot tell.
    -- Walter Alexander Raleigh

#Knowledge #Wish #Examination

• On examinations: Das Wissen ist der Tad der Forschung. Knowledge is the death of research. Nernst's motto.
    -- Walther Nernst

#Knowledge #Examination #Research

• I tend to be attracted to characters who are up against a wall with very few alternatives. And the film then becomes an examination of how they cope with very few options. And that's, I guess, what interests me in terms of human behavior.
    -- William Friedkin

#Wall #Character #Examination

• If she is given full immunity ... in order to verify that she's telling the truth, which I'm sure she is, I would be happy to submit her to a polygraph examination. Lie detector's not a good word because they can't detect lies.
    -- William H. Ginsburg

#Lying #Order #Examination

• A decent and manly examination of the acts of government should not only be tolerated, but encouraged.
    -- William Henry Harrison

#Government #Presidential #Examination

• I think that most small amounts of ***** have been decriminalized in some places, and should be. We really need a re-examination of our entire policy on imprisonment...Our imprisonment policies are counterproductive.
    -- William J. Clinton

#Marijuana #Thinking #Examination

• The examining physician often hesitates to make the necessary examination because it involves soiling the finger.
    -- William James Mayo

#Physicians #Examination #Fingers

• I think it's always good when you're able to, as an actor, allow your work to be some kind of a conduit for social discourse, and an examination of where we are, as a society.
    -- Zachary Quinto

#Thinking #Actors #Examination

• The fiction writer has to engage in a continual examination of conscience. He has to be aware of the freak in himself.
    -- Flannery O'Connor

#Examination #Fiction #Freak

• The story revolved around this universal identifiable fear that we must all have, at some point, when you commit yourself to being with another person, to have and to hold until death do us part. It's a huge thing. I just felt like it was a brilliant examination of what would happen, if the person that you trusted implicitly and thought you knew every follicle and pour of, inside and out, started to not be that person anymore, inside. Physically, they're still there, but they're not there mentally.
    -- Harry Treadaway

#Stories #Examination #Brilliant

• Cross-examination is the greatest legal engine ever invented for the discovery of truth. You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it. A lawyer can do anything with cross-examination if he is skillful enough not to impale his own cause upon it.
    -- John Henry Wigmore

#Discovery #Bayonets #Examination

• Given our examination of the behavior of our police forces at this moment the question of protection has an extra resonance, yes?
    -- Laura Mullen

#Police #Examination #Protection

• Usually at the core of fiction that has some element of the absurd there tends to be an examination of some societal ills that we should talk about more than we do. And it's funny, of course, so we have that release valve with absurdism. It offers us a safe way to explore difficult subject matter.
    -- Laurie Foos

#Fiction #Elements #Examination

• Climate change is a process that typically is non-linear. Even upon examination, it lives in comparison with other moments.
    -- Sebastian Copeland

#Climate #Examination #Moments

• Unfortunately, there are very few facilities which offer courses in the arts. Not all the secondary schools offer the subject for CXC examinations.
    -- St. Lucia

#Art #School #Examination

• I'm interested in how paintings can change or transform - sometimes through close examination or viewed from afar; or how they hold the space of a wall or interact in a room with each other.
    -- Stephen Beal

#Wall #Space #Examination

• We are a people as all other peoples; we do not have any intentions to be better than the rest We do not have to account to anybody, we are not to sit for anybody's examination and nobody is old enough to call on us to answer. We came before them and will leave after them. We are what we are, we are good for ourselves, we will not change, nor do we want to.
    -- Ze'ev Jabotinsky

#People #Answers #Examination

• Partial examination will result in partial views of truth, which are necessarily imperfect; only careful comparisons will show the complete mind of God.
    -- Arthur Tappan Pierson

#Views #Mind #Examination

• To take the measure of oneself by reference to one's colleagues leads to envy or complacency rather than constructive self-examination.
    -- Benno C. Schmidt, Jr.

#Self #Envy #Examination

• A happiness that won't stand up to examination is less than worthless.
    -- Drea de Matteo

#Examination #Worthless

• To consult the statistician after an experiment is finished is often merely to ask him to conduct a post mortem examination. He can perhaps say what the experiment died of.
    -- Ronald Fisher

#Examination #Experiments #Posts

• All I remember about the examination is that there was a question on Sturm's theorem about equations, which I could not do then and cannot do now.
    -- Louis J. Mordell

#Examination #Remember #Equations