Bait quotes

• If you went through life refusing all the bait dangled in front of you, that would be no life at all. No changes would be made and you would have nothing to fight against. Life would be dull as ditchwater.
    -- Alan Sillitoe

#Fighting #Bait #Would Be

• The devil's snare does not catch you, unless you are first caught by the devil's bait.
    -- Ambrose

#Devil #Bait #Doe

• BAIT, n. A preparation that renders the hook more palatable. The best kind is beauty.
    -- Ambrose Bierce

#Preparation #Bait #Hook

• Satan, that great angler, hath his sundry baits for sundry tempers of men, which they all catch greedily at, but few perceive the hook till it be too late.
    -- Anne Bradstreet

#Men #Bait #Too Late

• Beauty, alone, may please, not captivate; if lacking grace, 'tis but a hookless bait.
    -- Bill Vaughan

#Beauty #Grace #Bait

• We've got a name for sushi in Georgia... bait
    -- Blake Clark

#Inspiration #Names #Bait

• Beauty, devoid of grace, is a mere hook without the bait.
    -- Charles Maurice de Talleyrand

#Grace #Bait #Hook

• Getting offended is the bait of Satan for the believer.
    -- David McGee

#Bait #Satan #Believer

• The fish once caught, new bait will hardly bite.
    -- Edmund Spenser

#Bait #Caught #Fishes

• There's a bait and switch going on here because the critics want the textbooks to question whether evolution occurred. And of course they don't because scientists don't question whether evolution occurred.
    -- Eugenie Scott

#Atheism #Bait #Textbooks

• There's nothing like fishing to pass the time and to incline toward a sort of magnificent stupidity in which nothing matters but tackle, bait, sunlight and the strike.
    -- Faith Baldwin

#Fishing #Stupidity #Bait

• The finer the bait, the shorter the wait!
    -- Frank Gorshin

#Waiting #Bait

• When you were young, you thought time was a burden, something to be discharged as fast as possible so you could be grown-up. But it was such a bait-n-switch – when you were an adult, you came to realize that minutes and hours were the single most precious thing you had.
    -- J.R. Ward

#Bait #Adults #Realizing

• The glittering baits of titles and honours are only for children and fools.
    -- Jane Welsh Carlyle

#Children #Bait #Titles

• [Beauty is] a delicate bait with a deadly hook; a sweet panther with a devouring paunch, a sour poison in a silver pot.
    -- John Lyly

#Sweet #Bait #Poison

• Beauty - a deceitful bait with a deadly hook.
    -- John Lyly

#Beauty #Bait #Hook

• For evil news rides post, while good news baits.
    -- John Milton

#Evil #Bait #News

• When someone sets his affections upon the cross and the love of Christ, he crucifies the world as a dead and undesirable thing. The baits of sin lose their attraction and disappear. Fill your affections with the cross of Christ and you will find no room for sin.
    -- John Owen

#Bait #World #Rooms

• Man is the only kind of varmint sets his own trap, baits it, then steps in it.
    -- John Steinbeck

#Men #Steps #Bait

• A little bait catches a large fish.
    -- John Taylor Wood

#Effort #Bait #Littles

• Three explanations dominate speculation about what Obama is up to. The first is that he's trying to lay the groundwork for his successor, presumptive nominee Hillary Clinton. The second is that he's trying to pad his legacy. The third is that he's trying to 'troll' or bait the GOP into debating his agenda rather than pursuing its own. All are plausible, and none necessarily contradicts the others.
    -- Jonah Goldberg

#Trying #Bait #Legacy

• Debt is a trap which man sets and baits himself, and then deliberately gets into.
    -- Josh Billings

#Men #Bait #Debt

• I've been trolled lots. But I understand trolls for what they are and I don't let them get to me. They take my bait, so I'm in charge of the discourse.
    -- Kenneth Goldsmith

#Bait #Troll #Discourse

• It's hard to be understood when addressing many people at once. How can you ever know if you're being understood? So, I've just started being intelligently provocative. And people take the bait.
    -- Kenneth Goldsmith

#People #Bait #Provocative

• We're all worm bait waiting to happen. It's what you do while you wait that matters.
    -- Kinky Friedman

#Life #Waiting #Bait

• In day-to-day commerce, television is not so much interested in the business of communications as in the business of delivering audiences to advertisers. People are the merchandise, not the shows. The shows are merely the bait.
    -- Les Brown

#Communication #People #Bait

• Modesty is the only sure bait when you angle for praise.
    -- Lord Chesterfield

#Humility #Bait #Modesty

• Ah, but the servant waits, while the master baits.
    -- Madeline Kahn

#Waiting #Bait #Masters

• For every man there exists bait he cannot resist swallowing.
    -- Marisha Pessl

#Motivational #Men #Bait

• I had to work on a Marlin boat, like gutting fish, like as the bait boy.
    -- Mark Ruffalo

#Boys #Bait #Fish Tanks

• But I'm not to be caught with such poor bait! I'm a big fish, I am.
    -- Maxim Gorky

#Big Fish #Bait #Poor

• Hope is such a bait, it covers any hook.
    -- Oliver Goldsmith

#Hope #Bait #Hook

• Pleasure is the bait of sin
    -- Plato

#Bait #Sin #Pleasure

• Survival strategy. If you’re not careful, this place will eat you alive, and Kaylee’s like bait for the beasts.
    -- Rachel Vincent

#Survival #Alive #Bait

• I think the bait for doing something really is always the part.
    -- Sam Waterston

#Thinking #Bait

• The job of the organizer is to maneuver and bait the establishment so that it will publicly attack him as a “dangerous enemy.
    -- Saul

#Jobs #Enemy #Bait

• A great screenplay is the most powerful bait in Hollywood.
    -- Sissy Spacek

#Powerful #Bait #Hollywood

• I don't know why it's so hard for me to say those three words. Most guys throw it around like breath, like bait.
    -- Tammara Webber

#Guy #Bait #Three

• Satan like a fisher, baits his hook according to the appetite of the fish.
    -- Thomas Adams

#Hook #Bait #Satan

• Better to shun the bait than struggle in the snare.
    -- William Blake

#Struggle #Bait #Snares

• About my work, my first film, Écoute le Temps (Fissures), was positioned by distributors as a thriller because they thought that it would sell more easily. But it was surely a mistake, as that kind of viewer did not take the bait, and it drew away its potential core audience, those whom I met in festivals and in various Q&As who seem to appreciate that particular kind of cross-over arthouse film.
    -- Alante Kavaite

#Mistake #Appreciate #Bait

• Whenever I watch the beginning of Jimmy Fallon, I feel like I should sue the Roots for bait and switch.
    -- Andy Kindler

#Roots #Bait #Watches

• One catches more flies with a spoonful of honey that with twenty casks of vinegar.
    -- Henry IV of France

#Bait #Twenties #Honey

• I assume that people get in trouble when they do a bait and switch, when they say something to get the job and then they just don't do that thing.
    -- Todd Strauss-Schulson

#Jobs #People #Bait

• More philosophically-minded critics regarded Einstein's argument for relativity as little more than a logical bait-and-switch ploy: "[T]he supposition of most expounders of the Special Theory, that Einstein has proved the relativity of simultaneity in general - or that his 'simultaneity' is something more than a logical artefact - must manifestly be given up.
    -- Arthur Oncken Lovejoy

#Special #Bait #Littles

• "My only problem with women breastfeeding in public is they never wink back." It's kind of the perfect joke because it's a bait and switch.
    -- Gavin McInnes

#Perfect #Bait #Breastfeeding

• I think that we need to be careful, as reporters and as journalists, not to take the bait and not to get into an endless discussion about issues that are trivial.
    -- Jonathan Karl

#Thinking #Issues #Bait

• It's just one of those deals where I have to keep moving and keep looking. It's a lot about timing and a lot about boat-positioning, and I'm just trying to get fish to react to several different baits.
    -- Kevin VanDam

#Moving #Trying #Bait