Offending quotes

• Be hated. One does not have to be evil to be hated. In fact, it’s often the case that one is hated precisely because one is trying to do right by one’s own convictions. It is far too easy to be liked, one merely has to be accommodating and hold no strong convictions. Then one will gravitate towards the centre and settle into the average. That cannot be your role. There are a great many bad people in the world, and if you are not offending them, you must be bad yourself.
    -- Adrian Tan

#Strong #Average #Offending

• I am disappointed to find myself accused in some papers of supplying the offending sweets, particularly as I am a fruit pastille man.
    -- Alastair Cook

#Sweet #Men #Offending

• I suppose if the offending paparazzi was wearing a hoodie and I shot him, it would all blow over.
    -- Alec Baldwin

#Blow #Offending #Shots

• The devil does not bring sinners to hell with their eyes open: he first blinds them with the malice of their own sins. Before we fall into sin, the enemy labours to blind us, that we may not see the evil we do and the ruin we bring upon ourselves by offending God. After we commit sin, he seeks to make us dumb, that, through shame, we may conceal our guilt in confession.
    -- Alphonsus Liguori

#Fall #Eye #Offending

• He would be guilty of mortal sin, because he exposes himself to the danger of grievously offending God. Hence, before he acts he must lay aside the doubt; and if he has not hitherto done so, he must confess it, at least, as it is before God. But the scrupulous, who have doubts about everything, must follow another rule: they must obey their confessor. When he tells them to conquer their doubts, and to act against scruples, they should obey with exactness; otherwise they will render themselves unable and unfit to perform any spiritual exercise.
    -- Alphonsus Liguori

#Spiritual #Exercise #Offending

• Lord, if Thou knowest that I shall find, on leaving the house, even through obedience, an occasion of offending Thee, I conjure Thee to take away my life here, where Thou are really present, for Thou solely art my life, and I prefer a thousand deaths to causing Thee the slightest displeasure.
    -- Alphonsus Rodriguez

#Art #Offending #House

• Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone - except God.
    -- Billy Graham

#Offending #Our Society #Strive

• There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it.
    -- Brad Stine

#Offending #Differences #Purpose

• Saints are described as fearing the name of God; they are reverent worshippers; they stand in awe of the Lord's authority; they are afraid of offending Him; they feel their own nothingness in the sight of the Infinite One.
    -- Charles Spurgeon

#Sight #Offending #Names

• If you are not offending some Pharisees, you are not being effective.
    -- Craig Groeschel

#Offending #Pharisees

• The fear of offending can be stronger than the fear of pain
    -- Dave Gorman

#Pain #Offending #Stronger

• At times, to make progress, you end up offending people. And people were offended by many things I have done over the years. But I did what I felt was right, especially from an art and creative point of view.
    -- Dov Charney

#Art #Views #Offending

• Live without pretending, love without depending, listen without defending, speak without offending.
    -- Drake

#Humble #Offending #Speak

• don't be angry with the gentleman for thinking, whatever be the cause, for I assure you he makes no common practice of offending in that way.
    -- Fanny Burney

#Sarcasm #Thinking #Offending

• I'm not afraid to take on somebody or say something that somebody will find offensive because unfortunately in comedy, you can't say anything really good without offending somebody.
    -- George Lopez

#Offending #Say Anything #Comedy

• Happy is the man who can brush aside the offending remarks of another and go on his way.
    -- Gordon B. Hinckley

#Men #Offending #Goes On

• As a well-known great man would have said if he had thought of it, "Don't go around offending people just because it can be done sitting down.
    -- Gracie Allen

#Men #Offending #People

• Officeholders are the agents of the people, not their masters. Not only is their time and labor due to the government, but they should scrupulously avoid in their political action, as well as in the discharge of their official duty, offending by a display of obtrusive partisanship their neighbors who have relations with them as public officials.
    -- Grover Cleveland

#Government #Offending #People

• If a juror feels that the statute involved in any criminal offence is unfair, or that it infringes upon the defendant's natural god-given unalienable or constitutional rights, then it is his duty to affirm that the offending statute is really no law at all and that the violation of it is no crime at all, for no one is bound to obey an unjust law.
    -- Harlan F. Stone

#Rights #Offending #Law

• The so-called symptoms of disease are manifestations of an inherent principle of the organism to restore healthy function and to resist offending agents and influences.
    -- Herbert M. Shelton

#Offending #Healthy #Principles

• [French] authors are more afraid of offending delicacy and rules, than ambitious of sublimity.
    -- Horace Walpole

#Offending #Ambitious #Delicacy

• My greatest happiness is to serve my gracious King and Country and I am envious only of glory; for if it be a sin to covet glory I am the most offending soul alive.
    -- Horatio Nelson

#Country #Kings #Offending

• The miscegenation laws of the South only operate against the legitimate union of the races; they leave the white man free to seduce all the colored girls he can, but it is death to the colored man who yields to the force and advances of a similar attraction in white women. White men lynch the offending Afro-American, not because he is a despoiler of virtue, but because he succumbs to the smiles of white women.
    -- Ida B. Wells

#Girl #Men #Offending

• There is something in the eloquence of the pulpit, when it is really eloquence, which is entitled to the highest praise and honour. The preacher who can touch and affect such an heterogeneous mass of hearers, on subjects limited, and long worn thread-bare in all common hands; who can say any thing new or striking, any thing that rouses the attention, without offending the taste, or wearing out the feelings of his hearers, is a man whom one could not (in his public capacity) honour enough.
    -- Jane Austen

#Men #Hands #Offending

• I don't see myself as offending people.
    -- Jimmy Carr

#Offending #People

• That courage which arises from the sense of our duty, and from the fear of offending Him that made us, acts always in a uniform manner, and according to the dictates of right reason.
    -- Joseph Addison

#Offending #Bravery #Uniforms

• Courage that grows from constitution very often forsakes a man when he has occasion for it, and when it is only a kind of instinct in the Soul breaks out on all occasions without judgment or discretion. That courage which proceeds from the sense of our duty, and from the fear of offending Him that made us, acts always in a uniform manner, and according to the dictates of right reason.
    -- Joseph Addison

#Men #Offending #Soul

• God is speaking to us. But are we listening to Him? When our conscience begins to nudge us for whatever reason, we might have this low-level misery or uneasiness about whatever it is we've done or we're about to do. At times like this, it's wise to prayerfully consider whether we're offending God with our actions.
    -- Joyce Meyer

#Wise #Offending #Listening

• No Compromise is what the whole Gospel of Jesus is all about... 'For I tell you...no man can serve two masters...' (Matt. 6:24). In a day when believers seem to be trying to please both the world and the Lord (which is an impossible thing), when people are far more concerned about offending their friends than offending God, there is only one answer...Deny yourself, take up your cross and follow Him!
    -- Keith Green

#Jesus #Men #Offending

• I'm really proud ofGunsmoke. We put on a good show every week-one that families could all watch together without offending anyone.
    -- Ken Curtis

#Offending #Together #Watches

• To be silent. In hopes of not offending, in hopes of being accepted. But what happened to people who never spoke, never raised their voices? Kept everything inside? Gamache knew what happened. Everything they swallowed, every word, thought, feeling rattled around inside, hollowing the person out. And into that chasm they stuffed their words, their rage.
    -- Louise Penny

#Voice #Offending #People

• Genuine bravery for a writer... It is about calmly speaking the truth when everyone else is silenced, when the truth cannot be expressed. It is about speaking out with a different voice, risking the wrath of the state and offending everyone, for the sake of the truth, and the writer's conscience.
    -- Murong Xuecun

#Offending #Voice #Wrath

• Your true friends dont shy away from keeping you in check because your wellbeing is more important to them than even your friendship and they'd rather risk offending you than watch you harm yourself.
    -- Omar Suleiman

#True Friend #Offending #Risk

• The great improvement of the radio over the telephone is that it may be turned off without offending the speaker.
    -- Richard Armour

#Offending #May #Radio

• We kill with antibiotics and antiseptics, and if our slaughter is ineffectual we use surgery to expel the offending organ from our presence. We destroy the body in order to save it.
    -- Robert Svoboda

#Offending #Order #Body

• Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of offending culture, religion or traditions,
    -- Staffan de Mistura

#Mean #Offending #Freedom Of Speech

• Be Yourself -The man who is neither bent upon pleasing his fellows nor afraid of offending them will enjoy great peace.
    -- Thomas a Kempis

#Being Yourself #Men #Offending

• It is impossible to be truly artistic without the risk of offending someone somewhere.
    -- Wayne Gerard Trotman

#Offending #Risk #Impossible

• If it be a sin to covet honor, I am the most offending soul.
    -- William Shakespeare

#Inspirational #Integrity #Offending

• The demands of the economy, and more recently those of political correctness and the diktat against ever offending anyone, are not conducive to a classroom or university seminar climate in which genuinely free and critical reflection on how to live prospers.
    -- David E. Cooper

#Reflection #Offending #Political

• Let's start with some of the reasons that the press holds its tongue and some of the things that you don't know because of this. We'll begin with squeamishness, prudishness, timidity and an overdeveloped fear of offending someone... So much for squeamishness and prudishness. There are many other reasons that we editors fail you in this pact you and we have. Let me name a few more: Orthodoxy, conventional thinking, a misplaced pleasure at being on the inside, incompetence and laziness.
    -- Geneva Overholser

#Thinking #Offending #Editors

• There's a manner of speaking you use while lawyering. A manner as affected and rife with artifice as your average campaign speech, with a similar fear of offending.
    -- Sergio De La Pava

#Average #Offending #Campaigns

• I've never had any trouble opposing people I've been close to. I've never worried about offending or bothering people I feel strongly about.
    -- Randall Robinson

#Offending #People #Trouble

• If you go to a diner in the middle of America, people are having these conversations, but our politicians are too scared to bring it up because they're worried about offending the 0.002 percent of the country that may somehow be subject to what the conversation may be. And it's ridiculous.
    -- Donald Trump, Jr.

#Country #Offending #America

• I should willingly give every drop of my blood to please Him and to prevent sinners offending Him. I shall be satisfied only when I am a victim to make reparation for my innumerable sins and for the sins of all the world.
    -- Gemma Galgani

#Blood #Offending #Giving