Swamps quotes

• we should be careful not to let machinery swamp life. That we should be sure, when we are confronted with a fresh mechanical contrivance, that we are not losing more than we gain by adopting it.
    -- Ann Bridge

#Technology #Swamps #Gains

• Hell is a swamp, to me - not as something fiery, but as something dank, moist, and wet.
    -- Avey Tare

#Swamps #Hell #Dank

• In Nature there is no dirt, everything is in the right condition; the swamp and the worm, as well as the grass and the bird,-all is there for itself.
    -- Berthold Auerbach

#Nature #Bird #Swamps

• Are there any swamps in Oklahoma? Yes, there is. It's called Tulsa.
    -- Bobby Heenan

#Oklahoma #Tulsa #Swamps

• There is peace in the swamp, though the quiet is Death
    -- Bret Harte

#Swamps #Quiet

• Once when I was golfing in Georgia, I hooked the ball into the swamp. I went in after it and found an alligator wearing a shirt with a picture of a little golfer on it.
    -- Buddy Hackett

#Golf #Balls #Swamps

• A most mediocre person can be the object of a love which is wild, extravagant, and beautiful as the poison lillies of the swamp.
    -- Carson McCullers

#Beautiful #Poison #Swamps

• Concealment makes the soul a swamp. Confession is how you drain it.
    -- Charles M. Blow

#Soul #Swamps #Confession

• ...like a scene from the swamps of Louisiana or the mind of Poe on opium.
    -- Dean Koontz

#Mind #Louisiana #Swamps

• Down through the years certain fads of slang had come and gone, and their vestiges could be found in Janie's and Mabel's conversation, like mastodon bones in a swamp.
    -- Dolores Hitchens

#Years #Gone #Swamps

• Once the forest has been removed and the swamp starts being drained, that organic matter begins to oxidise and give off continuing emissions. It's sort of like the goose that keeps on giving.
    -- Frances Ford Seymour

#Giving #Swamps #Matter

• We discovered that in connection with these figures the German national simpletons and money-grubbers of the Frankfurt parliamentary swamp always counted as Germans the Polish Jews as well, although this dirtiest of all races, neither by its jargon nor by its descent, but at most only through its lust for profit, could have any relation of kinship with Frankfurt.
    -- Friedrich Engels

#Race #Lust #Swamps

• the occasional cries of a lost loon, strayed from its flock in northern migration, fill the swamp with sounds of wailing.
    -- Gene Stratton-Porter

#Sound #Swamps #Migration

• A town is saved, not more by the righteous men in it, than by the woods and swamps that surround it.
    -- Henry David Thoreau

#Men #Swamps #Woods

• Stride with a proud disdain through the swamp of human inadmissibility.
    -- Joachim Peiper

#Swamps #Proud #Stride

• I thought I recognized you." Really? He remembered me looking like Swamp Thing? How flattering.
    -- Josh Lanyon

#Swamps #Flattering #Remembered

• I spent most of my 20s with these alligator wrestlers in the swamps of South Florida.
    -- Karen Russell

#Florida #Swamps #Alligators

• We've got to have major health care reform because that is the 800-pound gorilla. That is the thing that can swamp the boat fiscally for the United States.
    -- Kent Conrad

#United States #Reform #Swamps

• i'm alternatingly brilliant and witless-and sleepless: bed is just a swamp to roll in.
    -- Marilyn Hacker

#Bed #Swamps #Brilliant

• Besides, Southerners are hospitable. They'll probably offer me lemonade." Excuse me? You're going to sit on a porch and drink lemonade while I plow a swamp with a goat's horn?" Yes, ma'am. And I aim to wear my seamless shirt while you do it.
    -- Nancy Werlin

#Swamps #Goats #Excuse

• With one glance he had got himself trapped in the brown fundament of her eyes, he was in danger of sinking, as if into a soft, brown swamp, and he had to close his own eyes for a second to get out of it..
    -- Patrick Süskind

#Eye #Swamps #Danger

• I eat like a tortoise eats, if you've ever seen a tortoise eating. Like some prehistoric swamp thing.
    -- R. J. Palacio

#Swamps #Tortoises #Eating

• A swamp is where Gators live. We feel comfortable there, but we hope our opponents feel tentative. A swamp is hot and sticky and can be dangerous. Only Gators get out alive.
    -- Steve Spurrier

#Alive #Swamps #Opponents

• I’m alone with the ghost of the swamp, somewhere near the weeping willows.
    -- Steven Herrick

#Swamps #Weeping Willows #Ghost

• Well, maybe not death panels, exactly, but unless we start allocating health-care resources more prudently – rationing, by its proper name – the exploding cost of Medicare will swamp the federal budget.
    -- Steven Rattner

#Names #Swamps #Care

• I was born in 1940 in Minnesota and grew up in the country... dirt roads, swamps, lakes, woods.
    -- Terry Gilliam

#Country #Lakes #Swamps

• Properly practiced creativity MUST result in greater sales more economically achieved. Properly practiced creativity can lift your claims out of the swamp of sameness and make them accepted, believed, persuasive, urgent.
    -- William Bernbach

#Creativity #Design #Swamps

• Hold us accountable. There's no accountability in Washington. Drain the swamp.
    -- Kellyanne Conway

#Accountability #Swamps #Drains

• Misquotation is quotology’s swamp. Amateur quoters mix and mangle Shakespeare and Scripture. Professors gaffe and printers bungle. It’s a mess we must wade into.
    -- Willis Regier

#Wade #Swamps #Scripture

• The garden of Eden was a boggy swamp just south of Croydon. You can see it over there.
    -- Peter Cook

#Garden #Eden #Swamps

• This house better get cleaned up in six months. The swamp is going to have to be drained pretty quickly.
    -- Ron Wyden

#House #Swamps #Months