Brave New World quotes

• Back to culture. Yes, actually to culture. You can’t consume much if you sit still and read books.
    -- Aldous Huxley

#Book #Brave New World #Culture

• But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin.
    -- Aldous Huxley

#Hipster #Real #Brave New World

• Did you ever feel, as though you had something inside you that was only waiting for you to give it a chance to come out? Some sort of extra power that you aren't using - you know, like all the water that goes down the falls instead of through the turbines?
    -- Aldous Huxley

#Fall #Brave New World #Water

• What I may call the messages of Brave New World, but it is possible to make people contented with their servitude. I think this can be done. I think it has been done in the past. I think it could be done even more effectively now because you can provide them with bread and circuses and you can provide them with endless amounts of distractions and propaganda.
    -- Aldous Huxley

#Past #Brave New World #Thinking

• And that," put in the Director sententiously, "that is the secret of happiness and virtue — liking what you've got to do. All conditioning aims at that: making people like their unescapable social destiny.
    -- Aldous Huxley

#Happiness #Brave New World #Destiny

• The Obama campaign is one of the greatest examples of what is possible in the brave new world of 21st Century marketing. They did a masterful job of connecting with minds, personalizing messages, refining old and new media, sending clear messages, and providing the feedback that enabled them to respond to the messages they heard.
    -- Anne M. Mulcahy

#Jobs #Business #Brave New World

• The innovative spirit was America's strongest attribute, transforming everything into a brave new world, but there lingered an insecurity about the arts.
    -- Arthur Erickson

#Art #Brave New World #America

• In a brave new world, a post-September 11 world, anyone is going to make certain mistakes. The mistakes that have been made on homeland security, on protecting our Nation from another terrorist attack, are mistakes of omission. We are simply not doing enough.
    -- Charles Schumer

#Mistake #Brave New World #Omission

• Anyone too undisciplined, too self-righteous or too self-centered to live in the world as it is has a tendency to idealize a world which ought to be. But no matter what political or religious direction such idealists choose, their visions always share one telling characteristic: in their utopias, heavens or brave new worlds, their greatest personal weakness suddenly appears to be a strength.
    -- David James Duncan

#Religious #Brave New World #Self

• It's a brave new world.
    -- Howard Kurtz

#Brave New World #Bravery #Brave

• We're not going to get the jack-booted thugs stomping on a human face that you get in '1984' but we might get the 'Brave New World' where the biggest problem there is how to deal with the fact that everyone is so happy...[W]hat we're going to get is a nanny-type of fascism, if we get one at all...[S]imply because the nanny-state wants to hug you doesn't mean it's not tyrannical if you don't want to be hugged.
    -- Jonah

#Mean #Thug #Brave New World

• My rite of passage into my brave new world, life on the road.
    -- Kenny Loggins

#Brave New World #Passages #Rite

• It seems that our brave new world is becoming less tolerant, spiritual and educated than it ever was when I was young.
    -- Lemmy Kilmister

#Spiritual #Brave New World #Becoming

• We have created not a Brave New World, but a vulgar marketplace, where human attributes come with a price tag.
    -- Linda Chavez

#Peace #Brave New World #Tag

• Whether they really believe in their brave new world, however, is ultimately beside the point. They're building it. And in the friction-free future, jacked into paradise, we'll have the 'liberty' of living (or rather, or buying the illusion of living), through the benevolent offices of a middleman as nearly omnipotent as god himself. Freedom? A more perfect captivity is difficult to imagine.
    -- Mark Slouka

#Believe #Brave New World #Perfect

• We now live in an amazing digital world, and television is firmly part of that brave new world. Television is still the way to reach the most citizens and talk to them – and with them - about how the EU affects their lives. It's still the way to bring people together – to laugh, to debate, to learn. In a world that takes a faster and faster pace, it is nice to know you can slow down once in a while with a good TV programme.
    -- Neelie Kroes

#Nice #Brave New World #Laughing

• For in the end, he was trying to tell us what afflicted the people in 'Brave New World' was not that they were laughing instead of thinking, but that they did not know what they were laughing about and why they had stopped thinking.
    -- Neil Postman

#Brave New World #Thinking #Laughing

• It's a brave new world. I'm 42 years old. I certainly wasn't out in high school.
    -- Rick Mercer

#School #Brave New World #Years

• I know these are going to sound like school reading-list suggestions, but if you like dystopian fiction, you should check out some of the originals: Anthem, by Ayn Rand; 1984, by George Orwell; or Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley.
    -- Sara Shepard

#Reading #School #Brave New World

• Tomorrow you're all going to wake up in a brave new world, a world where the Constitution gets trampled by an army of terrorist clones, created in a stem-cell research lab run by homosexual doctors who sterilize their instruments over burning American flags. Where tax-and-spend Democrats take all your hard-earned money and use it to buy electric cars for National Public Radio, and teach evolution to illegal immigrants. Oh, and everybody's high!
    -- Stephen Colbert

#Running #Army #Brave New World

• I wish the government and the Minister of Justice would address these legal and constitutional arguments, but they refuse to. They want Canadians to go blindly into their brave new world, but it is not wise for a society to move blindly in any direction.
    -- Stockwell Day

#Wise #Moving #Brave New World

• O, wonder! How many goodly creatures are there here! How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world, That has such people in't!
    -- William Shakespeare

#Brave New World #People #Wonder

• Regular crises perpetuate the past by reinvigorating cycles which started long ago. In contrast, (capital-C) Crises are the past's death knell. They function like laboratories in which the future is incubated. They have given us agriculture and the industrial revolution, technology and the labour contract, killer germs and antibiotics. Once they strike, the past ceases to be a reliable predictor of the future and a brave new world is born.
    -- Yanis Varoufakis

#Past #Technology #Brave New World

• What we went to World War II for, at least in my mind, was not getting taken care of. It was supposed to be a brave new world, but we were getting back into the old ruts, and we were in a cold war with Russia.
    -- Al Feldstein

#War #Taken #Brave New World

• Works like 'Brave New World' and 'The Handmaiden's Tale' develop their atmosphere from a movement or a revolution, as if the world has ended and has come out to this other side. When I wrote 'The Bad Batch,' I thought that the world outside the gates that confine the 'bad' characters is simply our world today.
    -- Ana Lily Amirpour

#Character #Brave New World #Atmosphere