Eels quotes

• Index-learning turns no student pale, Yet holds the eel of Science by the tail. Index-learning is a term used to mock pretenders who acquire superficial knowledge merely by consulting indexes.
    -- Alexander Pope

#Science #Eels #Tails

• POLITICIAN, n. An eel in the fundamental mud upon which the superstructure of organized society is reared. When he wriggles, he mistakes the agitation of his tail for the trembling of the edifice.
    -- Ambrose Bierce

#Mistake #Eels #Agitation

• They were two superior eels at the bottom of the tank and they recognized each other like italics.
    -- Anne Carson

#Eels #Two #Tanks

• Life isn't all fricasseed frogs and eel pie.
    -- C. S. Lewis

#Eels #Pie #Frogs

• I am not eccentric. It's just that I am more alive than most people. I am an unpopular electric eel set in a pond of catfish.
    -- Edith Sitwell

#Women #Eels #People

• I am an unpopular electric eel in a pool of catfish.
    -- Edith Sitwell

#Eels #Pool #Catfish

• Talking to you is like -- like talking to an eel!" "No, is it? I've never tried to talk to an eel. Isn't it as waste of time?" "Not such a waste of time as talking to you!
    -- Georgette Heyer

#Talking #Eels #Waste

• It's just that to a lot of British people George Bush represents the worst of all things American. He's the right-wing Christian crusader, the toxic Texan who refused Kyoto, the poll-cheat eel who undermined democracy on the back of something called 'chads,' a notion we've never entirely grasped.
    -- Graham Joyce

#Christian #Eels #Wings

• Take every gain without showing remorse about missed profits, because an eel may escape sooner than you think.
    -- James de la Vega

#Business #Thinking #Eels

• My hovercraft is full of eels.
    -- John Cleese

#Eels

• [W]hat have we done with our forests? Chopped them, and burned them, and wasted them; and now almost the last of the great stands of timber are here on the Pacific slope. We are in the center of the best of them. Probably nowhere on earth does there exist a forest to compare in continuous grandeur and unqualified beauty with the Redwoods that are found along the Eel River and to the north.
    -- Madison Grant

#Eels #Rivers #Doe

• I gotta go home and feed my eels. They're not electric, but I have a plan.
    -- Octavia Spencer

#Home #Eels #Electric

• Trust is as slippery as a basket of eels sometimes.
    -- Robert Jordan

#Eels #Sometimes #Baskets

• Be an electric eel in a goldfish pond!
    -- Sark

#Eels #Ponds #Goldfish

• A mere index hunter, who held the eel of science by the tail.
    -- Tobias Smollett

#Science #Eels #Hunters

• A mere index hunter, who held the eel of science by the tail. Index-hunter is a term used mockingly, meaning one who acquires superficial knowledge merely by consulting indexes. The '[holding] the eel of science by the tail' allusion was used in 1728 by Alexander Pope (q.v.).
    -- Tobias Smollett

#Learning #Science #Eels

• The funniest thing about comedy is that you never know why people laugh. I know what makes them laugh but trying to get your hands on the why of it is like trying to pick an eel out of a tub of water.
    -- W. C. Fields

#Hands #Eels #Water

• It is very strange that men should deny a Creator and yet attribute to themselves the power of creating eels.
    -- Baron d'Holbach

#Men #Eels #Creating

• Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one. What is most repellent in the System of Nature - after the recipe for making eels from flour - is the audacity with which it decides that there is no God, without even having tried the impossibility. If God did not exist, he would have to be invented." But all nature cries aloud that he does exist: that there is a supreme intelligence, an immense power, an admirable order, and everything teaches us our own dependence on it.
    -- Baron d'Holbach

#Order #Eels #Doubt

• The apartments are made for eels.
    -- Cary Fukunaga

#Eels #Made #Apartment