Dependable famous quotes

Last updated: Jul 22, 2024

• I'm happy with the amount of success I've achieved. I feel like I'm getting better every day and I'm always learning. I don't take anything for granted and I've gained a deeper perspective on things.

• I write less about alcohol, less and less and less. You 're an addict - so of course you write about the thing you love most. I loved alcohol the most, loved it more than anybody or anything. That's what I wrote about. And it certainly accounted for some great writing. But it accounted for two or three years of good writing - it would never account for 20 years of good writing. I would have turned into Charles Bukowski. He wrote 10,000 poems and 10 of them were great.

• The purpose of art is higher than art. What we are really interested in are masterpieces of humanity.

• I'm not the type of person to give up just because something gets rough. That's a coward. That's not me.

• The writing process for a short story feels more like field geology, where you keep turning the thing over and over, noting its qualities in detail, hammering at it, putting it near flame, pouring different acids on it, and then finally you figure out what it is, or you just give up and mount it on a ring and have an awkward chunky piece of jewelry that seems weirdly dominating but that you for some reason like. I could be wrong about field geology here.

• Had I been blessed with even limited access to my own mind there would have been no reason to write.

• We aren't upset when Paramount makes a $200 million movie that flops, but if a charity experiments with a $5 million fundraising event that fails, we call in the attorneys. So charities are petrified of trying bold new revenue-generating endeavors and can't develop the powerful learning curves the for-profit sector can.

• With growing and intermixed minority populations, our democracy can not work optimally unless all people are integrated as full and equal members, and I think our collective freedom requires that.

• In television and films, you never know the fate of anything. Focusing on the present moment - not getting so caught up on what could happen - that's been my biggest focus. Everything's happening seemingly at once.

• I'm not hoping to see that day but I know that my cinema will reach Filipinos. I know that they will embrace it one day. It will happen. I'm very sure of that. I still have faith in cinema. I still believe it can affect change.