Hierarchy quotes

• Of course, there's a certain type of person who feels that anything which becomes mainstream has to be rejected immediately. And that's part of the indie-alternative snobbery and hierarchy and elitism.
    -- Alex Kapranos

#Alternatives #Hierarchy #Mainstream

• If there is anyone who's living the work of the New Testament, it's the nuns of the Catholic church and not the Catholic hierarchy.
    -- Anna Quindlen

#Catholic #Church #Hierarchy

• There is no Hierarchy of Oppressions
    -- Audre Lorde

#Hierarchy #Oppression

• Legislators have a formal set of responsibilities to work together, but there's no hierarchy.
    -- Barney Frank

#Responsibility #Working Together #Hierarchy

• The hierarchy of class in London was rigid. It was like a religion. It still is to a certain extent.
    -- Ben Kingsley

#Class #Hierarchy #London

• If we can no longer believe in heavenly hierarchies, extraterrestrial hierarchies will suffice.
    -- Brad Steiger

#Believe #Hierarchy #Extraterrestrial

• In the world of the celebrity, the hierarchy of publicity has replaced the hierarchy of descent and even of great wealth.
    -- C. Wright Mills

#World #Hierarchy #Publicity

• One of the great commandments of science is, 'Mistrust arguments from authority'. (Scientists, being primates, and thus given to dominance hierarchies, of course do not always follow this commandment.)
    -- Carl Sagan

#Hierarchy #Dominance #Argument

• There are no hierarchies, no infinite, no such many as mass, there are only/ eyes in all heads,/ to be looked out of.
    -- Charles Olson

#Eye #Hierarchy #Infinite

• Inequality and hierarchy are natural, but that doesn't mean they are right, that doesn't mean there is isn't a productive tension between those forces and the forces of equality.
    -- Chris Hayes

#Mean #Hierarchy #Natural

• The truly privileged theories are not the ones referring to any particular scale of size or complexity, nor the ones situated at any particular level of the predictive hierarchy, but the ones that contain the deepest explanations.
    -- David Deutsch

#Levels #Hierarchy #Size

• It won't do away with hierarchy totally, but the principal leader will be the person who most exemplifies the kind of organization and behavior required who is best able to create the conditions such organizations require.
    -- Dee Hock

#Organization #Leader #Hierarchy

• Ideals jump across the hierarchies of the printed word.
    -- Dennis Potter

#Hierarchy #Printed

• My work was fairly theoretical. It was in recursive function theory. And in particular, hierarchies of functions in terms of computational complexity. I got involved in real computers and programming mainly by being - well, I was interested even as I came to graduate school.
    -- Dennis Ritchie

#Real #School #Hierarchy

• Capitalization implies a hierarchy, that some letters are more special than others.
    -- Douglas Coupland

#Special #Letters #Hierarchy

• A deck of cards is built like the purest of hierarchies, with every card a master to those below it, a lackey to those above it.
    -- Ely Culbertson

#Cards #Hierarchy #Masters

• The feat of superbly imitating a muscle, as Michelangelo did, or a face, as Raphael did, created neither progress nor a hierarchy in art. Because these artists of the sixteenth century imitated human forms, they were not superior to the artists of the high periods of Egyptian, Chaldean, Indochinese, Roman, and Gothic art who interpreted and stylized form but did not imitate it.
    -- Fernand Leger

#Art #Progress #Hierarchy

• Online hierarchies are inherently dynamic. The moment someone stops adding value to the community, his influence starts to wane.
    -- Gary Hamel

#Community #Adding Value #Hierarchy

• Over the centuries, religion has become institutionalized, and in the process encrusted with elaborate hierarchies, top-heavy bureaucracies, highly specialized roles and reflexive routines.
    -- Gary Hamel

#Roles #Hierarchy #Century

• We cling to hierarchies because our place in a hierarchy is, rightly or wrongly, a major indicator of our social worth.
    -- Harold Leavitt

#Hierarchy #Management #Social

• Scientific culture created a framework within which individual mobility was possible without threatening hierarchical work-force allocation. On the contrary, meritocracy reinforced hierarchy. Finally, meritocracy as an operation and scientific culture as an ideology created veils that hindered perception of the underlying operations of historical capitalism.
    -- Immanuel Wallerstein

#Historical #Perception #Hierarchy

• It is historically the case that virtually every new zone incorporated into the world-economy established levels of real remuneration which were at the bottom of the world-system's hierarchy of wage-levels.
    -- Immanuel Wallerstein

#Real #Hierarchy #World

• I fancy that the Hell of Too Many People would occupy a respectable place in the hierarchy of infernal regions.
    -- J. B. Priestley

#People #Fancy #Hierarchy

• Hierarchy is an organization with its face toward the CEO and its ***** toward the customer.
    -- Jack Welch

#Organization #Hierarchy #Faces

• I've tried not to get sucked into the Hollywood hierarchy system. Personally, I don't like it when people are deferential to me because I'm an established filmmaker. It's a blue-collar sensibility.
    -- James Cameron

#Blue #People #Hierarchy

• Profit maximization is the murderous strategy of global corporation hierarchies
    -- Jean Ziegler

#Hierarchy #Corporations #Strategy

• The great thing about fact-based decisions is that they overrule the hierarchy.
    -- Jeff Bezos

#Decision #Hierarchy #Facts

• In the hierarchy of the family, I'm just above the dog. But I like it that way.
    -- Jens Voigt

#Dog #Hierarchy #Way

• Insistence on having a sexual orientation in sex is about defending the status quo, maintaining sex differences and the sexual hierarchy; whereas resistance to sexual orientation, regimentation is more about where we need to be going.
    -- John Stoltenberg

#Sex #Differences #Hierarchy

• Words have their own hierarchy, their own protocol, their own artistic titles, their own plebeian stigmas.
    -- Jose Saramago

#Titles #Hierarchy #Artistic

• Supermarket tabloids and celebrity gossip shows are not just innocently shallow entertainment, but a fundamental part of a much larger movement that involves apathy, greed and hierarchy.
    -- Joseph Gordon-Levitt

#Gossip #Greed #Hierarchy

• The hierarchy of relations, from the molecular structure of carbon to the equilibrium of the species and ecological whole, will perhaps be the leading idea of the future.
    -- Joseph Needham

#Ideas #Hierarchy #Structure

• Being a monarchist, and fawning over those 'above' you, you must naturally despise those 'below' or on the same socioeconomic level as yourself, because that is how hierarchy worship works.
    -- Julie Burchill

#Levels #Hierarchy #Worship

• I had to delegate authority to the people on my staff. That means you shave away the hierarchy.
    -- Jurgen Klinsmann

#Mean #People #Hierarchy

• The military was all about hierarchies, who urinated highest on the hydrant
    -- Justin Cronin

#Military #Hierarchy

• Every education system on Earth has the same hierarchy of subjects: at the top are mathematics and languages, then the humanities, and the bottom are the arts.
    -- Ken Robinson

#Art #Humanity #Hierarchy

• In a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence ... in time every post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out its duties ... Work is accomplished by those employees who have not yet reached their level of incompetence.
    -- Laurence J. Peter

#Business #Levels #Hierarchy

• The liberal uses the radical's language to achieve the conservative's aim: the preservation of the capitalist system, and the traditional ethnic/racial hierarchy within society.
    -- Manning Marable

#Use #Hierarchy #Conservative

• Hierarchy is is much reviled in the present day.
    -- Mary Douglas

#Hierarchy

• Hierarchy works well in a stable environment.
    -- Mary Douglas

#Hierarchy #Environment #Wells

• The organization of ofices follows the principle of hierarchy ... each lower office is under the control and supervision of a higher one
    -- Max Weber

#Organization #Office #Hierarchy

• ... I wanted Ambiades to understand that I considered myself a hierarchy of one.
    -- Megan Whalen Turner

#Hierarchy #Wanted

• Within the gendered institution of prostitution, race and class create a hierarchy with indigenous women at its lowest point.
    -- Melissa Farley

#Class #Race #Hierarchy

• The rules and reasons the political system employs to enforce status relations of any kind, including racial hierarchy, evolve and change as they are challenged.
    -- Michelle Alexander

#Political #Hierarchy #Kind

• There are no hierarchies in nature other than those imposed by hierarchical modes of human thought, but rather differences merely in function between and within living things.
    -- Murray Bookchin

#Differences #Hierarchy #Function

• As long as hierarchy persists, as long as domination organises humanity around a system of elites, the project of dominating nature will continue to exist and inevitably lead our planet to ecological extinction.
    -- Murray Bookchin

#Long #Humanity #Hierarchy

• Behind the honeyed but patently absurd pleas for equality is a ruthless drive for placing themselves (the elites) at the top of a new hierarchy of power.
    -- Murray Rothbard

#Hierarchy #Absurd #Behinds

• Even in a hierarchy people can be equal as thinkers.
    -- Nancy Kline

#People #Hierarchy #Equal

• In the hierarchy of instruments, if you're a harpist, you're considered someone with a brain much more than if you're a singer.
    -- Nellie McKay

#Brain #Hierarchy #Singers

• Hierarchies are celestial. In hell all are equal.
    -- Nicolas Gomez Davila

#Hierarchy #Hell #Equal

• Our ultimate goal is extensible programming. By this, we mean the construction of hierarchies of modules, each module adding new functionality to the system.
    -- Niklaus Wirth

#Mean #Goal #Hierarchy

• I think it only makes sense to seek out and identify structures of authority, hierarchy, and domination in every aspect of life, and to challenge them; unless a justification for them can be given, they are illegitimate, and should be dismantled, to increase the scope of human freedom.
    -- Noam Chomsky

#Thinking #Challenges #Hierarchy

• It's probable that in the artistic hierarchy birds are the greatest musicians existing on our planet.
    -- Olivier Messiaen

#Bird #Hierarchy #Musician

• A person can be big, because of spirit. A person can be big because of their position in the family, the hierarchy in the family. That role has been played by women who are quite thin.
    -- Phylicia Rashad

#Hierarchy #Roles #Spirit

• Pope Francis insists that mercy is at the very top of the Christian hierarchy of great truths, and everything falls apart whenever mercy is displaced by anything else.
    -- Richard Rohr

#Christian #Fall #Hierarchy

• When there is no type hierarchy you don't have to manage the type hierarchy.
    -- Rob Pike

#Hierarchy #Programming #Type

• Oh, propriety," says Mrs Benjamin. "We're always so concerned with propriety. Even in total madness, we still stick to our hierarchies and chains of command.
    -- Robert Jackson Bennett

#Hierarchy #Sticks #Madness

• One needs to know what the hierarchy of values are from which one takes inspiration, and in a democratic society this is the subject of continuous democratic debate.
    -- Rocco Buttiglione

#Inspiration #Hierarchy #Needs

• Women's body language speaks eloquently, though silently, of her subordinate status in a hierarchy of gender.
    -- Sandra Bartky

#Body #Hierarchy #Language

• Each being is sacred -- meaning that each has inherent value that cannot be ranked in a hierarchy or compared to the value of another being.
    -- Starhawk

#Hierarchy #Sacred #Holiness

• There's a hierarchy in prison, and I was right at the top.
    -- Tommy Chong

#Hierarchy #Prison

• Historically, there are hierarchies of purity. Certain aspects of poetry are very, very pure. The lyric poem can't be anything but the lyric poem.
    -- Vijay Seshadri

#Hierarchy #Purity #Aspect

• I would say the hierarchy has made terrible errors in judgment and it has to seek forgiveness by its members.
    -- William P. Leahy

#Forgiveness #Errors #Hierarchy

• In the old systems, hierarchies emanate power from above to below through forms of line management and are ideologically supported by cosmologies and theologies featuring celestial rulers and their deputies - the 'rule of the best.'
    -- Catherine Wilson

#Lines #Hierarchy #Management

• I always talk about the hierarchy of art, and I always put music on the top of everything, because it's so immaterial.
    -- Igor Levit

#Art #Hierarchy

• Among photojournalists there is still a sense that doing a photomontage is far graver than adding a filter. I am against this type of hierarchy that demonizes some options over others, demonizes them in respect to, what - ideology or moral code?
    -- Joan Fontcuberta

#Filters #Hierarchy #Moral

• GenXers naturally bristle at hierarchies, but thrive on partnerships.
    -- Mal Fletcher

#Hierarchy #Partnership #Thrive

• As my great friend Aristotle said, 'If you cannot command, you must learn to listen.' I'm not the hierarchy here. I am a worker bee.
    -- Shaquille O'Neal

#Basketball #Here I Am #Hierarchy

• It is typical for implicit status hierarchies of influence and esteem to emerge in interpersonal encounters, especially those that are goal oriented.
    -- Susan Fiske

#Goal #Hierarchy #Typical

• In companies whose wealth is intellectual capital, networks, rather than hierarchies, are the right organizational design.
    -- Thomas A. Stewart

#Design #Intellectual #Hierarchy

• We're all just a part of this large, spiraling, constantly fluid hierarchy and changing. At some points in your life, you feel crushed by that, depending on who you come in contact with.
    -- Victoria Chang

#Hierarchy #Fluid #Crushed

• The lower you are in the hierarchy the worse your health, the higher you are, the better your health.
    -- Michael Marmot

#Hierarchy #Higher

• Your position in the hierarchy influences your behaviour.
    -- Michael Marmot

#Behaviour #Hierarchy #Influence

• Some of the technologies that were created during the Industrial Revolution were appalling, such as capitalization, investment, social hierarchy, sexism, racism, and ecological destruction.
    -- Chellis Glendinning

#Technology #Racism #Hierarchy

• We recognize caste in dogs because we rank ourselves by the familiar dog system, a ladderlike social arrangement wherein one individual outranks all others, the next outranks all but the first, and so on down the hierarchy. But the cat system is more like a wheel, with a high-ranking cat at the hub and the others arranged around the rim, all reluctantly acknowledging the superiority of the despot but not necessarily measuring themselves against one another.
    -- Elizabeth Marshall Thomas

#Dog #Cat #Hierarchy

• A deck of cards was built like the purest of hierarchies, with every card a master to those below it and a lackey to those above it.
    -- Ely Culbertson

#Cards #Hierarchy #Masters

• Hierarchy is a kind of order of abstractions.
    -- Grady Booch

#Order #Hierarchy #Kind