Ponds quotes

• Music is an ocean, but the repertory is hardly even a lake; it is a pond.
    -- Aldous Huxley

#Ocean #Lakes #Ponds

• Science, which cuts its way through the muddy pond of daily life without mingling with it, casts its wealth to right and left, but the puny boatmen do not know how to fish for it.
    -- Alexander Herzen

#Cutting #Science #Ponds

• Gorgeous, amazing things come into our lives when we are paying attention: mangoes, grandnieces, Bach, ponds. This happens more often when we have as little expectation as possible. If you say, "Well, that's pretty much what I thought I'd see," you are in trouble. At that point you have to ask yourself why you are even here. [...] Astonishing material and revelation appear in our lives all the time. Let it be. Unto us, so much is given. We just have to be open for business.
    -- Anne Lamott

#Expectations #Ponds #Attention

• After all, when a stone is dropped into a pond, the water continues quivering even after the stone has sunk to the bottom.
    -- Arthur Golden

#Fear #Water #Ponds

• British films are all "room with a view and a staircase and a pond."
    -- Ben Dreyfuss

#Views #Ponds #Rooms

• And strangely enoughthe only emotion I ever feel, is what the beaver must feel, as he bears each stick to his hidden construction, which creates the tranquil pond and gives the mallards somewhere to paddle, and the pair of swans a place to conceal their young
    -- Billy Collins

#Swans #Giving #Ponds

• You cannot eat every tadpole and frog in the pond, but you can eat the biggest and ugliest one, and that will be enough, at least for the time being.
    -- Brian Tracy

#Tadpoles #Ponds #Frogs

• Every sentence he manages to utter scatters its component parts like pond water from a verb chasing its own tail.
    -- Clive James

#Water #Ponds #Verbs

• People say, what is the sense of our small effort? They cannot see that we must lay one brick at a time, take one step at a time. A pebble cast into a pond causes ripples that spread in all directions. Each one of our thoughts, words and deeds is like that. No one has a right to sit down and feel hopeless. There is too much work to do.
    -- Dorothy Day

#People #Effort #Ponds

• What we would like to do is change the world...by crying out unceasingly for the rights of the workers, of the poor, of the destitute. We can throw our pebble in the pond and be confident that its ever widening circle will reach around the world.
    -- Dorothy Day

#Rights #Circles #Ponds

• Oh, well. Everyone else has suave, cosmopolitan sheep: why not us? The Millers at Hepple have a ewe that’s been to Kelso three times, and they’ve never been farther than Ford in their lives.” Kate peered absently into the farm pond, and clucked again. “Thoughtless creatures. They’ve forgotten the fish.
    -- Dorothy Dunnett

#Sheep #Three #Ponds

• I knew how many zeroes there were in a quintillion, but I thought that algebra lived in ponds.
    -- Gavin Extence

#Ponds #Algebra

• Each portion of matter may be conceived of as a garden full of plants, and as a pond full of fishes. But each branch of the plant, each member of the animal, each drop of its humors, is also such a garden or such a pond.
    -- Gottfried Leibniz

#Animal #Garden #Ponds

• Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government
    -- Graham Chapman

#Lying #Government #Ponds

• You throw a stone into a deep pond. Splash. The sound is big, and it reverberates throughout the surrounding area. What comes out of the pond after that? All we can do is stare at the pond, holding our breath.
    -- Haruki Murakami

#Sound #Ponds #Stones

• To science, not even the bark of a tree or a drop of pond water is dull or a handful of dirt banal. They all arouse awe and wonder.
    -- Jane Jacobs

#Water #Tree #Ponds

• It is not wise for a man who can get seasick in a rowboat on a mill-pond to attack a Japanese dinner just after a seventeen days voyage across the Pacific.
    -- John Fox, Jr.

#Wise #Men #Ponds

• Are you nervous about no longer being a big fish in a small pond?
    -- Lisi Harrison

#Big Fish #Ponds #Nervous

• It's hard for the modern generation to understand Thoreau, who lived beside a pond but didn't own water skis or a snorkel.
    -- Loudon Wainwright III

#Fun #Water #Ponds

• Old pond, frog jumps in - plop.
    -- Matsuo Basho

#Ponds #Frogs

• Old pond, leap-splash - a frog.
    -- Matsuo Basho

#Ponds #Frogs #Leap

• I can’t think of anyone else I’d travel around the universe with than Amy Pond.
    -- Matt Smith

#Thinking #Amy #Ponds

• Amy Pond is, er...I've sort of fallen in love with Amy Pond.
    -- Matt Smith

#Amy Pond #Amy #Ponds

• Love, we are a small pond.
    -- Maxine Kumin

#Love #Ponds

• And the pond's stillness nippled as if by rain instead is pocked with life.
    -- Maxine Kumin

#Life #Rain #Ponds

• Listen -- strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    -- Michael Palin

#Lying #Government #Ponds

• Pond scum stinks. And so do the Obama administration's enormous, taxpayer-funded 'investments' in politically connected biofuel companies.
    -- Michelle Malkin

#Ponds #Scum #Biofuels

• If you throw the pebble in the pond and the rings start circulating that much wider, you've done things and created things for people that they didn't think they'd ever be able to do. That excites me.
    -- Mindy Grossman

#Thinking #People #Ponds

• I like being a big fish in a small pond. I'm not interested in a huge audience because it brings headaches.
    -- Nick Lowe

#Big Fish #Ponds #Headache

• I mean, the death in the late eighties and early nineties really shook out a lot of hacks. The pond just sort of dried up for a lot of really bad comedians.
    -- Patton Oswalt

#Mean #Comedian #Ponds

• If you are looking for a whale you cannot search for a whale in a pond. You must go to deep waters.
    -- Prashant Iyengar

#Whales #Water #Ponds

• I wonder if there are any catfish in this pond? It seems like a perfect place for them.
    -- Richard Brautigan

#Perfect #Ponds #Wonder

• Empty the pond to get the fish.
    -- Robert Bresson

#Ponds #Empty #Fishes

• Fish say, they have their Stream and Pond; But is there anything Beyond?
    -- Rupert Brooke

#Heaven #Ponds #Immortality

• Your actions is like a raindrop; it falls into the pond making ripples and then its over...
    -- Sarah Dessen

#Fall #Ponds #Raindrops

• Be an electric eel in a goldfish pond!
    -- Sark

#Eels #Ponds #Goldfish

• I prefer being a small fish in a big pond.
    -- Stacy Keibler

#Ponds #Bigs #Fishes

• I want to be the pebble in the pond that creates the ripple for change.
    -- Tim Cook

#Want #Pebbles #Ponds

• In England, David and I are big fish in a small pond. But in L.A., we are tiny, tiny, tiny fish in a big pond.
    -- Victoria Beckham

#Big Fish #Ponds #Tiny

• I take off my makeup with Ponds cold cream, and then I wash myself with gentle soap and water, and that's it.
    -- China Machado

#Makeup #Water #Ponds

• It's a poor frog that doesn't praise his own pond! - Donnie McClurkin
    -- Donnie McClurkin

#Ponds #Frogs #Praise

• Even nowadays some people see me as a "vreemde eend in de bijt" [translated literally as the strange duck in the pond. In other words, an outsider].
    -- Eddy de Clercq

#Ducks #People #Ponds

• When I was really young I used to collect frog spawn. I made a pond out of an old sink and I loved to spend hours watching the frogs grow.
    -- Beth Orton

#Ponds #Frogs #Hours

• Like a stone thrown into a pond, a good deed can create ripples that extend far beyond the initial splash.
    -- Jeanne Phillips

#Women #Ponds #Deeds