Sailing quotes

• There is little man has made that approaches anything in nature, but a sailing ship does. There is not much man has made that calls to all the best in him, but a sailing ship does.
    -- Alan Villiers

#Men #Sailing #Doe

• Only fools and passengers drink at sea.
    -- Alan Villiers

#Sea #Sailing #Fool

• BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand
    -- Alex Blackwell

#Sailing #Boat #Break

• Nothing comes sailing by itself.
    -- Alexander Dale Oen

#Sailing

• I'm not like most designers, who have to set sail on an exotic getaway to get inspired. Most of the time, it's on my walk to work, or sitting in the subway and seeing something random or out of context.
    -- Alexander Wang

#Sailing #Sitting #Exotic

• I wish I could get all the discourteous drivers on a ship and sail them away and make sure it's a really horrible, wavy journey and when they get to where they're going, keep them there.
    -- Alvin Martin

#Journey #Sailing #Wish

• I keep sailing on in this middle passage. I am sailing into the wind and the dark. But I am doing my best to keep my boat steady and my sails full.
    -- Arthur Ashe

#Dark #Wind #Sailing

• I thought I would try my hand at sailing. It was too small and kept sinking, so I decided to try a boat instead.
    -- Arthur M. Jolly

#Hands #Sailing #Trying

• You mustn't miss the moment. There's only one first sailing into Rio harbor.
    -- Bette Davis

#Meaningful #Missing #Sailing

• Most sailing ships take what they call trainees, who pay to be part of the crew. The Picton Castle takes people who are absolutely raw recruits. But you can't just ride along. You're learning to steer the ship, navigation; you're pulling lines, keeping a lookout; in the galley you're cooking.
    -- Billy Campbell

#People #Sailing #Cooking

• We sail within a vast sphere, ever drifting in uncertainty, driven from end to end.
    -- Blaise Pascal

#Sailing #Spheres #Driven

• It's not always plain sailing , especially when you're flying
    -- Brendan Rodgers

#Flying #Sailing

• Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear.
    -- Buzzy Trent

#Feet #Sailing #Wave

• Sailing, the most expensive way to travel 3rd class
    -- Buzzy Trent

#Class #Sailing #Way

• I hate a Barnacle as no man ever did before, not even a Sailor in a slow-sailing ship.
    -- Charles Darwin

#Hate #Men #Sailing

• Three fishers went sailing away to the west, Away to the west as the sun went down; Each thought on the woman who loved him the best, And the children stood watching them out of the town.
    -- Charles Kingsley

#Children #Sailing #Towns

• If the Lord says to give more than you think you are able to give, know that He will provide for you. Whether things are sailing smoothly or the bottom has dropped out, He is always trustworthy. You can count on Almighty God to keep His everlasting Word.
    -- Charles Stanley

#Thinking #Giving #Sailing

• I'm telling you that India is that way, now set my course.
    -- Christopher Columbus

#Sailing #India #Way

• Everything went smoothly at the sailing events today, except for the British team. They forgot to bring limes and they all got scurvy.
    -- Craig Ferguson

#Funny #Team #Sailing

• Always sailing, sailing, sailing...never quite reaching.
    -- Cressida Cowell

#Sailing #Reaching

• Sailing became one of the mainstreams of my life. I suppose my father was an influence. I remember seeing a photo of him at home sailing a big boat to Bermuda in his 20s. I still have it.
    -- David Crosby

#Father #Home #Sailing

• Thought is the wind and knowledge the sail.
    -- David Hare

#Wind #Sailing #Sail

• People say that life is a cesspool of darkness and dispair. Well we of Van Halen are sailing through it in a yacht!
    -- David Lee Roth

#People #Darkness #Sailing

• Some things cannot be spoken or discovered until we have been stuck, incapacitated, or blown off course for awhile. Plain sailing is pleasant, but you are not going to explore many unknown realms that way.
    -- David Whyte

#Life #Sailing #Way

• Design has taken the place of what sailing used to be.
    -- Dennis Conner

#Taken #Design #Sailing

• This is largely the methodology I've used throughout my career - that is, starting with a question as to what might be the properties of a set of compounds that could be invented which were unusual and unpredictable. Many times I've felt a bit like Columbus setting sail.
    -- Donald Cram

#Careers #Sailing #Might

• If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most.
    -- E. B. White

#Men #Sailing #Boat

• I have no interest in sailing around the world. Not that there is any lack of requests for me to do so.
    -- Edward Heath

#Sailing #World #Interest

• Ports are necessities, like postage stamps or soap, but they seldom seem to care what impressions they make.
    -- Elizabeth Bishop

#Sailing #Care #Soap

• ... strike the words "white male" from all your constitutions, and then, with fair sailing, let us sink or swim, live or die, survive or perish together.
    -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton

#Swimming #Sailing #Together

• The sooner we learn to be jointly responsible, the easier the sailing will be.
    -- Ella Maillart

#Sea #Sailing #Responsible

• 'Tis the set of the sail that decides the goal, and not the storm of life.
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

#Goal #Sailing #Storm

• The only way to get a good crew is to marry one.
    -- Eric Hiscock

#Sailing #Way #Crew

• It's remarkable how quickly a good and favorable wind can sweep away the maddening frustrations of shore living.
    -- Ernest K. Gann

#Frustration #Wind #Sailing

• Regardless of how much you enjoy your work, you must accept that everything won't come easily. No one has clear sailing on their voyage to success. You will always meet obstacles to overcome. The attainment of real success isn't based on the absence of problems, but the extraordinary ability to deal with problems. Indeed, you will find greatest satisfaction in overcoming the toughest of problems thrown your way. And only by overcoming great difficulties can you achieve greatness in this world.
    -- Ernie J Zelinski

#Real #Greatness #Sailing

• Our desire must be like a slow and stately ship, sailing across endless oceans, never in search of safe anchorage. Then suddenly, unexpectedly, it will find mooring for a moment.
    -- Etty Hillesum

#Ocean #Sailing #Desire

• Honest hope has an edge. It's messy. It requires that we let go of all pat answers, all preconceived formulas, all confidence that our sailing will be smooth. It's not a resting point. Honest hope is movement.
    -- Frances Moore Lappé

#Letting Go #Hope #Sailing

• Those who want to row on the ocean of human knowledge do not get far, and the storm drives those out of their course who set sail.
    -- Franz Grillparzer

#Ocean #Sailing #Storm

• The S.S. Sierra was a ten-thousand-ton vessel. Today, lifeboats bigger than the Sierra are found on the Queen Mary and other luxury liners.
    -- Fred Allen

#Queens #Luxury #Sailing

• It so happened that I was on a German sailing vessel on the way to Australia when the ship was captured, and on the high seas I was made prisoner by the French.
    -- Fritz Sauckel

#Sea #Australia #Sailing

• As a cabin boy on a Norwegian sailing ship I earned five kronen a week in addition to my keep.
    -- Fritz Sauckel

#Boys #Sailing #Cabins

• It is not the ship so much as the skillful sailing that assures the prosperous voyage.
    -- George William Curtis

#Journey #Achievement #Sailing

• Layering and changeability: this is the key, the combination that is worked into most of my buildings. Occupying one of these buildings is like sailing a yacht; you modify and manipulate its form and skin according to seasonal conditions and natural elements, and work with these to maximize the performance of the building.
    -- Glenn Murcutt

#Keys #Sailing #Skins

• On the Trans-Atlantic Single-handed Race Mr Owen Smithers has been disqualified for using both hands.
    -- Heikki Luoma

#Race #Hands #Sailing

• Men go back to the mountains, as they go back to sailing ships at sea, because in the mountains and on the sea they must face up.
    -- Henry David Thoreau

#Men #Sea #Sailing

• To desire and strive to be of some service to the world, to aim at doing something which shall really increase the happiness and welfare and virtue of mankind - this is a choice which is possible for all of us; and surely it is a good haven to sail for.
    -- Henry Van Dyke

#Choices #Sailing #Desire

• The sailor is frankness, the landsman is finesse. Life is not a game with the sailor, demanding the long head
    -- Herman Melville

#Games #Long #Sailing

• Writing itself is a bad enough trade, rightly held up to ridicule and contempt by the greater part of mankind, and especially by those who do real work, plowing, riding, sailing
    -- Hilaire Belloc

#Real #Writing #Sailing

• I think becoming an actor because it's a ridiculously insecure profession to go into. I feel very comfortable but very lucky. I think any time that you imagine that it's plain sailing for hereon in, then you're kidding yourself.
    -- Hugh Dancy

#Insecure #Thinking #Sailing

• I don't know who named them swells. There's nothing swell about them. They should have named them awfuls.
    -- Hugo Vihlen

#Sailing #Sailor #Should

• If you're going through difficult times today, hold steady. It will change soon. If you are experiencing smooth sailing and easy times now, brace yourself. It will change soon. The only thing you can be certain of is change.
    -- James Dobson

#Inspirational Life #Sailing #Today

• Our future is like that of the passengers on a small pleasure boat sailing quietly above the Niagara Falls, not knowing that the engines are about to fail.
    -- James Lovelock

#Fall #Knowing #Sailing

• I know enough about Satan to realize that he will have all his weapons ready for determined opposition.  He would be a missionary simpleton who expected plain sailing in any work of God.
    -- James O. Fraser

#Sailing #Missionary #Would Be

• If you're not getting close to capsize, you're provably not pushing hard enough
    -- James Spithill

#Sailing #Pushing #Enough

• He doesn’t have to say it, i feel it too; it’s not subtle - like every bell for miles and miles is ringing at once, loud and clanging, hungry ones and tiny, happy, chiming ones, all of them sounding off in this moment. I put my hands around his neck, pull him to me, and then he’s kissing me hard and so deep, and i am flying, sailing, soaring…
    -- Jandy Nelson

#Kissing #Hands #Sailing

• You can always tell the old river hand by the way in which he stretches himself out upon the cushions at the bottom of the boat, and encourages the rowers by telling them anecdotes about the marvellous feats he performed last season..
    -- Jerome K. Jerome

#Hands #Rivers #Sailing

• Spirits rise as the sails fill... Gone is the sea's glassy surface, and with it the terrible glare. Close the hatches and ports! We're sailing again!
    -- Jim Moore

#Sea #Sailing #Gone

• Seeing that a Pilot steers the ship in which we sail, who will never allow us to perish even in the midst of shipwrecks, there is no reason why our minds should be overwhelmed with fear and overcome with weariness.
    -- John Calvin

#Fear #Sailing #Mind

• We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came.
    -- John F. Kennedy

#Ocean #Sea #Sailing

• Wisdom sails with wind and time.
    -- John Florio

#Wind #Sailing #Sail

• For me, my craft is sailing on,Through mists to-day, clear seas anon.Whate'er the final harbor be'T is good to sail upon the sea!
    -- John Kendrick Bangs

#Sea #Sailing #Finals

• Living without an aim, is like sailing without a compass.
    -- John Ruskin

#Sailing #Compass #Aim

• I'm sort of known in the comedy community as 'Smooth Sailing,' just 'cause everything always goes great. I've always had success at every turn.
    -- Jon Glaser

#Community #Sailing #Causes

• If the Spray discovered no continents on her voyage, it may be that there were no more continents to be discovered. She did not seek new worlds, or sail to pow-wow about the dangers of the sea.
    -- Joshua Slocum

#Sea #Sailing #World

• There is a rule in sailing where the more maneuverable ship should give way to the less maneuverable craft. I think this is sometimes a good rule to follow in human relationships as well.
    -- Joyce Brothers

#Thinking #Giving #Sailing

• We were wavering around like a ship without a sail.
    -- Judy Holliday

#Sailing #Wavering #Ships

• There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.
    -- Kenneth Grahame

#Witty #Sailing #Half

• Sailing is a completely new sport for me and I wasn't sure what to expect but I've definitely got the bug.
    -- Kirsty Gallacher

#Sports #Sailing #Bugs

• Quentin had an obsolete sailing ship that had been raised from the dead. He had psychotically effective swordsman and an enigmatic witch-queen. It wasn't the Fellowship of the Ring, but then again he wasn't trying to save the world from Sauron, he was trying to perform a tax audit on a bunch of hick islanders…
    -- Lev Grossman

#Queens #Sailing #Trying

• The cabin of a small yacht is truly a wonderful thing; not only will it shelter you from a tempest, but from the other troubles in life, it is a safe retreat.
    -- Lewis Francis Herreshoff

#Sailing #Retreat #Cabins

• It looks like frozen snot.
    -- Lewis Francis Herreshoff

#Sailing #Looks #Frozen

• Man marks the earth with ruin - his control stops with the shore.
    -- Lord Byron

#Men #Sailing #Earth

• Not to have control over the senses is like sailing in a rudderless ship, bound to break to pieces on coming in contact with the very first rock.
    -- Mahatma Gandhi

#Rocks #Sailing #Self Control

• Love is going to replace life and from then on it's all smooth sailing. Love will replace life.
    -- Marita Golden

#Life #Love Is #Sailing

• Family, that slippery word, a star to every wandering bark, and everyone sailing under a different sky.
    -- Mark Haddon

#Stars #Sky #Sailing

• Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
    -- Mark Twain

#Pirate #Sailing #Good God

• Herschel removed the speckled tent-roof from the world and exposed the immeasurable deeps of space, dim-flecked with fleets of colossal suns sailing their billion-leagued remoteness.
    -- Mark Twain

#Space #Sailing #World

• We enjoy sailing small boats, two of which I have designed and built myself.
    -- Martin Ryle

#Two #Sailing #Boat

• The suffix 'naut' comes from the Greek and Latin words for ships and sailing. Astronaut suggests 'a sailor in space.' Chimponaut suggests 'a chimpanzee in sailor pants'.
    -- Mary Roach

#Latin #Space #Sailing

• Keep your hand on the helm.
    -- Matt Goldman

#Hands #Sailing #Helm

• Be patient with your boaters and let them rant. Most of them will get over it come December.
    -- Matt Goldman

#Sailing #Be Patient #December

• What is time to a water rat? What is time to the river? Only we humans obsess over days and minutes, hours and seasons.
    -- Matt Goldman

#Rivers #Water #Sailing

• Where great whales come sailing by, Sail and sail, with unshut eye, Round the world for ever and aye.
    -- Matthew Arnold

#Eye #Whales #Sailing

• Any chance he’s turned a new leaf and taken up sailing for real?” “About as likely as me doing it.” Hadrian eyed Royce for a heartbeat. “I put him at the top of the list.
    -- Michael J. Sullivan

#Real #Taken #Sailing

• I try to look at this music career thing as the means to an end. And really, at the end of it, I see myself on a sailboat, sailing off the edge of the world.
    -- Michelle Shocked

#Mean #Careers #Sailing

• I challenge you to a duel!” screamed the cat, sailing over their heads on the swinging chandelier.
    -- Mikhail Bulgakov

#Cat #Sailing #Challenges

• Gliders, sail planes, they're wonderful flying machines. It's the closest you can come to being a bird.
    -- Neil Armstrong

#Bird #Sailing #Flying

• E.B. White's essays are the best things I've read about Maine - especially the one in which he's not sure if he can go out sailing any more in his sloop.
    -- Nicholson Baker

#White #Sailing #Maine

• The big change, the really radical change in communication, was in the late 19th century. The shift from sailing ships to telegraph is astronomical. Everything since then has been small increments, including the internet.
    -- Noam Chomsky

#Communication #Sailing #Ships

• When I go abroad I always sail from Boston because it is such a pleasant place to get away from.
    -- Oliver Herford

#Boston #Sailing #Get Away

• Most people are willing to take the Sermon on the Mount as a flag to sail under, but few will use it as a rudder by which to steer.
    -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

#Spiritual #People #Sailing

• We returned home, after these experiments, with the conviction that sailing flight was not the exclusive prerogative of birds.
    -- Otto Lilienthal

#Home #Bird #Sailing

• Not so much two ships passing in the night as two ships sailing together for a time but always bound for different ports.
    -- P. D. James

#Night #Two #Sailing

• There was a sound in the background like a distant sheep coughing gently on a mountainside. Jeeves sailing into action.
    -- P. G. Wodehouse

#Sheep #Sailing #Jeeves

• The thing I realized this last few days is that the earth is a big place.
    -- Paul Cayard

#Sailing #Lasts #Earth

• I was sailing from tedium to apathy with a side trip to torpor.
    -- Peggy Noonan

#Boredom #Sailing #Sides

• If you are going to do something, do it now. Tomorrow is too late.
    -- Pete Goss

#Sailing #Too Late #Tomorrow

• The man who would be fully employed should procure a ship or a woman, for no two things produce more trouble.
    -- Plautus

#Men #Two #Sailing

• But although we have noticed the ark as being the first ship, we cannot with propriety place it in the front of the history of navigation. After the flood the ark seems to have been soon forgotten, or at least imperfectly remembered, and men reverted to their little canoes and clumsy boats, which sufficed for all their limited wants. It was not until about a thousand years later in the world
    -- R. M. Ballantyne

#Men #Years #Sailing

• The wonder is always new that any sane man can be a sailor.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

#Men #Sailing #Sailor