Other Cultures quotes

• A people who free themselves from foreign domination will be free culturally only if, without complexes and without underestimating the importance of positive accretions from oppressor and other cultures, they return to the upward paths of their own culture, which is nourished by the living reality of its environment, and which negates both harmful influences and any kind of subjection to foreign culture. Thus, it may be seen that if imperialist domination has the vital need to practice cultural oppression, national liberation is necessarily an act of culture
    -- Amilcar Cabral

#Reality #Other Cultures #Practice

• Many people don't know, but American Girl Scouts get to travel the world, and that's a very good thing, as the more we can expose our young people to other cultures, the better off we'll be in this increasingly globalized environment.
    -- Anna Maria Chavez

#Girl #Other Cultures #People

• I'm not trying to explain other cultures, or to give a fair and balanced account of a country, or the top ten things you need to know. I'm not trying to spread world peace and understanding. I'm not an advocate or an activist or an educator or a journalist. I'm out there trying to tell stories the best I can.
    -- Anthony Bourdain

#Country #Other Cultures #Giving

• One of my few virtues - I don't have a lot of them - would be a deep sense of curiosity. I'm interested in how other people live in other places; I'm interested in other cultures.
    -- Anthony Bourdain

#Other Cultures #People #Curiosity

• I plead for conservation of human culture, which is much more fragile than nature herself. We needn't destroy other cultures with the force of our own.
    -- Arthur Erickson

#Artist #Other Cultures #Conservation

• Our incapacity to comprehend other cultures stems from our insistence on measuring things in our own terms.
    -- Arthur Erickson

#Artist #Other Cultures #Incapacity

• I certainly hope the strengths and values of this country hold up to comparison to other cultures.
    -- Bill Vaughan

#Country #Other Cultures #Comparison

• Much of the rest of the world has already learned some English. They pretty much understand the American way of doing things, because our culture has been ubiquitous and has been the 500-pound gorilla in the global economy. But the world is far more interrelated than ever before, and no one culture can thrive without the knowledge of how to function in other cultures.
    -- Bill Vaughan

#Other Cultures #World #Gorillas

• I will continue to work for the advancement of freedoms in Egypt and the Arab world until I drop dead. ... Education itself - which can and should play an important role in the apprenticeship of tolerance and respect for other people - sometimes encourages identitarian closure, or even extremist behaviour ... It is therefore vital to ensure that education does not encourage rejection of other people or identitarian closure, but that on the contrary it encourages knowledge and respect for other cultures, other religions and other ways of being and living.
    -- Boutros Boutros-Ghali

#Egypt #Other Cultures #Play

• Scientists are very much entangled in their culture and this culture is not pristine, untouched by other cultures and practices.
    -- Bruno Latour

#Other Cultures #Practice #Culture

• Many other cultures value poetry more than we do. In Ireland, poetry is a top cultural pursuit, the art to end all arts.
    -- Campbell McGrath

#Art #Other Cultures #Ends

• Preservation of one's own culture does not require contempt or disrespect for other cultures.
    -- Cesar Chavez

#Other Cultures #Diversity #Disrespect

• Literature presents you with alternate mappings of the human experience. You see that the experiences of other people and other cultures are as rich, coherent, and troubled as your own experiences. They are as beset with suffering as yours. Literature is a kind of legitimate voyeurism through the keyhole of language where you really come to know other people's lives--their anguish, their loves, their passions. Often you discover that once you dive into those lives and get below the surface, the veneer, there is a real closeness.
    -- Chaim Potok

#Real #Passion #Other Cultures

• It was the transmutation of the classical liberal intellectual foundation by Christianity that gave modern Europe its impetus and that pushed European accomplishment so far ahead of all other cultures and civilizations around the world.
    -- Charles A. Murray

#Europe #Other Cultures #Civilization

• Much of the image of the amazingness of America comes from the movies into other cultures. And it's much the same thing when you reverse it. Much of Africa is presented through poverty, through drought and war. [But] you're not presenting people, you're not presenting countries, you're not presenting complexity, and so people can't care about an amorphous mass called Africa.
    -- Chris Abani

#Country #War #Other Cultures

• People in the U.S. are more cranked up on pharmaceutical drugs than any other culture in the world today. I want people using safer medicine. And that means plant medicine.
    -- Chris Kilham

#Mean #Other Cultures #Medicine

• The first time I thought about attempting a body suspension was after watching a documentary on rites-of-passage ceremonies from other cultures. I was completely intrigued by what these people put their bodies through.
    -- Criss Angel

#Other Cultures #People #Body

• When I meet people from other cultures I know that they too want happiness and do not want suffering, this allows me to see them as brothers and sisters.
    -- Dalai Lama

#Happiness #Brother #Other Cultures

• The Jews are trying to destroy all other cultures...as a survival mechanism...the only Nazi country in the world is Israel.
    -- David Duke

#Country #Other Cultures #Ku Klux Klan

• I think it's useful to experience other types of dance and other cultures, and the life of a classical dancer these days is certainly not all tutus! So experience of other dance forms is a good idea.
    -- Deborah Bull

#Dance #Thinking #Other Cultures

• We [the USA] do have a big nation's problem. We have the problem of a nation that's got two oceans, oceans on either side. People come from all across the globe and want to live here and they want to work here and they want to invest here. And that's a good thing. And they make up this country. But as a people, we [americans] are not highly skilled in languages. We're not highly skilled in knowledge of other cultures. And that's a problem.
    -- Donald Rumsfeld

#Country #Ocean #Other Cultures

• The history of other cultures is non-existent until it erupts in confrontation with the United States.
    -- Edward Said

#Other Cultures #United States #Confrontation

• We should never denigrate any other culture but rather help people to understand the relationship between their own culture and the dominant culture. When you understand another culture or language, it does not mean that you have to lose your own culture.
    -- Edward T. Hall

#Mean #Other Cultures #People

• In studying other cultures, we learn more about ourselves and our relationship to all things in this world.
    -- Eustace Conway

#Other Cultures #World #Study

• One must not judge other cultures by the standars of one's one,' said Aunt Hilda
    -- Eva Ibbotson

#Aunt #Other Cultures #Judging

• Its [the anthropological method] power to make us understand the roots from which our civilization has sprung, that it impresses us with the relative value of all forms of culture, and thus serves as a check to an exaggerated valuation of the standpoint of our own period, which we are only too liable to consider the ultimate goal of human evolution, thus depriving ourselves of the benefits to be gained from the teachings of other cultures and hindering an objective criticism of our own work.
    -- Franz Boas

#Teaching #Other Cultures #Civilization

• The Treatise tries to analyze not only modern Western families, but also those in other cultures and the changes in family structure during the past several centuries.
    -- Gary Becker

#Past #Other Cultures #Trying

• It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past.... Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.
    -- George Steiner

#Past #Mirrors #Other Cultures

• The spirit of seeking understanding through personal contact with people of other nations and other cultures deserves the respect and support of all.
    -- Gerald R. Ford

#Other Cultures #People #Support

• We need to put into practice the idea of embracing other cultures. We need to be shaping the kind of world we want to live in instead of waiting for someone else or some other entities to do it for us.
    -- Herbie Hancock

#Ideas #Other Cultures #Practice

• We must start understanding other cultures, such as the Aboriginal culture. They have a harmony with the Earth and from that harmony has grown a certain spirituality.
    -- Ian Cohen

#Other Cultures #Understanding #Earth

• Thanks to the success of Henning Mankell and Peter Hoeg, there wasn't the same stigma attached to writing genre thrillers in Scandinavia as there was in many other cultures. Quite the opposite, in fact.
    -- Jo Nesbo

#Writing #Other Cultures #Opposites

• A culture that just views a pig as a pile of protoplasmic inanimate structure, and can be manipulated by whatever creative design humans can foist upon that critter, will probably view individuals within its community and other cultures in the community of nations, with the same type of disdain and disrespect and controlling-type mentality.
    -- Joel Salatin

#Pigs #Views #Other Cultures

• It's amazing that people still feel, 'Oh my gosh, it's a black guy.' We've been here for a long time; let's get used to it. Let's get used to other cultures.
    -- John Boyega

#Other Cultures #Long #People

• Multiculturalism has seemed to imply, wrongly for me, let other cultures be allowed to express themselves but do not let the majority culture at all tell us its glories, its struggles, its joys, its pains,
    -- John Sentamu

#Pain #Struggle #Other Cultures

• Americans, more than any other culture on earth, are cookbook cooks; we learn to make our meals not from any oral tradition, but from a text. The just-wed cook brings to the new household no carefully copied collection of the family's cherished recipes, but a spanking new edition of 'Fannie Farmer' or 'The Joy of Cooking'.
    -- John Thorne

#Other Cultures #Joy #Cooking

• A first grader should understand that her or his culture isn't a rational invention; that there are thousands of other cultures and they all work pretty well; that all cultures function on faith rather than truth; that there are lots of alternatives to our own society...Cultural relativity is defensible, attractive. It's a source of hope. It means we don't have to continue this way if we don't like it.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

#Mean #Other Cultures #Community

• I became a model to see the world, to make enough money to travel and experience other cultures,
    -- Lauren Hutton

#Other Cultures #World #Enough

• For all the casual slurs about 'cultural imperialism', British imperialists were more interested in other cultures than anybody before or since, and, if they hadn't dug it up and taken care of it, we'd know hardly anything about the ancient world. What's important about a nation's past is not what it keeps walled up in the museum but what it keeps outside, living and breathing as every citizen's inheritance.
    -- Mark Steyn

#Taken #Past #Other Cultures

• You experience other cultures to give you a kind of shock that makes you look at your own culture. You appreciate it more as a result of being out of it, but you also realise there are some things lacking in your culture.
    -- Mem Fox

#Other Cultures #Giving #Appreciate

• Historically, black music has influenced other cultures and other genres and created other genres.
    -- Miguel

#Other Cultures #Black #Culture

• French women love to shop and prepare food. They love to talk about what they have bought and made. It's a deeply natural love, but one that is erased in many other cultures. Most French women learn it from their mothers, some from their fathers. But if your parents aren't French, you can still learn it yourself.
    -- Mireille Guiliano

#Mother #Father #Other Cultures

• The Brit abroad is always the voice of caution. Persons of other cultures are known to be undisciplined, prone to leaning out of car windows and cooking with garlic.
    -- Nick Harkaway

#Other Cultures #Voice #Car

• Singapore has been incredibly well-managed. It was created out of the swamp, with a strong emotional idea: a safe place for mostly Chinese, but accepting other cultures and other races.
    -- Nicolas Berggruen

#Strong #Emotional #Other Cultures

• More and more we're negating the validity of first-hand experience of people from other countries and other cultures... whether it's on TV, the Internet, mobile phones or whatever - the world system we live in so values second-hand information.
    -- Nitin Sawhney

#Country #Hands #Other Cultures

• In order for humanity to survive in the twenty-first century and beyond, we must nurture rather than repress children's natural curiosity. We must encourage them to be curious, instead of fearful, toward other cultures.
    -- Paul K. Chappell

#Children #Order #Other Cultures

• Good authors mature over time: it does take awhile. Travel abroad and learn to live in other cultures. That's one of the things about teaching abroad.
    -- Richard K. Morgan

#Teaching #Other Cultures #Doe

• The Ice Storm, because of the movie, has had, or is to have, a vigorous life in other cultures.
    -- Rick Moody

#Hockey #Ice #Other Cultures

• I love bringing the colors and textures of other cultures. If I wear a dress that I bought from a street vendor in Bali on a red carpet, it's a way of bringing my travels with me.
    -- Serinda Swan

#Color #Other Cultures #Dresses

• I think the international appeal of SF is quite understandable since the kinds of people who like to read it, are, by the nature of the beast, interested in other cultures, of which other nations on Earth are the closest available example.
    -- Stanley Schmidt

#Thinking #Other Cultures #People

• I think that curiosity happened on these reviews where I was just a guest of the reviewer, because it introduced me to new cuisines and to the idea of cooking as a mechanism for studying other cultures and understanding other parts of the world.
    -- Ted Allen

#Thinking #Other Cultures #Ideas

• What moves me is neither ethnocentric pride nor sectarian arrogance. I make no claim that Jewish culture is superior to other cultures. But it is mine.
    -- Theodore Bikel

#Moving #Pride #Other Cultures

• This world has seen a great many civilizations. And many of them have survived for longer periods than ours up to the present. They were all as sure as we are today of having founded the first eternal civilization. We today differ from them in having our western civilization spread to embrace the entire planet, leaving no room on any continent for any other culture to take over if we fail.
    -- Thor Heyerdahl

#Other Cultures #Civilization #Leaving

• Travel early and travel often. Live abroad, if you can. Understand cultures other than your own. As your understanding of other cultures increases, your understanding of yourself and your own culture will increase exponentially.
    -- Tom Freston

#Other Cultures #Understanding #Culture

• I'm certainly curious about people. As a kid, I moved around a lot. I was raised in a lot of different places, and thanks to working in the movies, I've gotten to keep traveling. I've always been interested in other cultures and languages.
    -- Viggo Mortensen

#Kids #Other Cultures #People

• The world in which you were born is just one model of reality. Other cultures are not failed attempts at being you; they are unique manifestations of the human spirit.
    -- Wade Davis

#Unique #Reality #Other Cultures

• Climbing does not mean just competition and performance. It has other qualities that are important: going on trips, meeting people, seeing other cultures...
    -- Wolfgang Gullich

#Mean #Climbing #Other Cultures

• A Senegalese poet said 'In the end we will conserve only what we love. We love only what we understand, and we will understand only what we are taught.' We must learn about other cultures in order to understand, in order to love, and in order to preserve our common world heritage.
    -- Yo-Yo Ma

#Order #Other Cultures #Community

• We're evolving as a culture as well and as more equality gets supplanted in society, well, in the U.S. anyway, it's only helping women. We do have much more work to do though, in spreading awareness about where we fall short in our culture and in other cultures.
    -- Barbara Crampton

#Fall #Other Cultures #Helping

• Many Westerners see follow-through and reliability as the most critical factor in how they calculate the trustworthiness of another individual. In some other cultures, who you know and how you're related to other individuals is the most important variable. And for others, it may be as much about your reputation and what others have said about you.
    -- David Livermore

#Other Cultures #Important #Variables

• What's interesting in archaeology is that we always understand other cultures by digging up their cities; architecture is almost always a way for us to formulate a diagram of how people used to live.
    -- Jimenez Lai

#Other Cultures #Cities #Interesting

• Traveling and other cultures provide me with great inspiration, especially unusual people and cultures totally unlike my own. They generate many new ideas for me.
    -- Kansai Yamamoto

#Inspiration #Ideas #Other Cultures

• I feel like what's most important for painting - which has been hierarchically on the top for a really long time in terms of what is considered fine art, by comparison with something like a comic book or what's considered low art - is that painting should open up laterally to include other cultures and things that don't immediately resonate as a painting but are obviously of equal contribution to the genre.
    -- Laura Owens

#Art #Book #Other Cultures

• Travel is said to be broadening because it makes us realize that our way of doing things is not the only one, that people in other cultures live differently and get by just fine. Insects do that, too, only better.
    -- Marlene Zuk

#Other Cultures #People #Way

• That a good fit between parental handling and child temperament is vital to help children adapt to the imperatives of their society is a crucial concept that can be applied to other cultures.
    -- Stella Chess

#Children #Other Cultures #Helping

• At the heart of globalisation is a new kind of intolerance in the west towards other cultures, traditions and values, less brutal than in the era of colonialism, but more comprehensive and totalitarian.
    -- Martin Jacques

#Heart #Other Cultures #Colonialism

• The greatest number of drug addicts are to be found in Teheran and in Karachi, not in the West. Not in New York believe it or not. It's the same with the roles of slavery, racism and imperialism in the world. These institutions were present in other cultures. However, it was Western civilization which did something about slavery, about racism and voluntarily dissolved its empires leaving behind a very positive legacy of institutions not to mention buildings and roadways.
    -- Ibn Warraq

#New York #Believe #Other Cultures

• I want our students to be so accustomed to children of other cultures that the words 'diversity' and 'tolerance' won't be in their vocabulary. They won't need them - they'll live it.
    -- Suzy Amis

#Children #Vocabulary #Other Cultures

• I have been brought up in a culture where capital punishment is indeed anathema. I have always thought of myself as a principled opponent to capital punishment. However, when thinking about how the topic is handled in other cultures, in particular the American, Russian and Chinese ones, I have realised that my own tack on the issue was utterly superficial.
    -- Torbjorn Tannsjo

#Thinking #Other Cultures #Punishment

• One way of submitting your moral intuitions in relation to some issue to cognitive therapy is to learn more about how people in other cultures think about it.
    -- Torbjorn Tannsjo

#Thinking #Other Cultures #Issues

• I have been very afraid of writing about other cultures and countries. I've been worried about getting the research wrong. I ask a lot of questions. I try to visit the area. If I'm not able to do that, I search out people from that country who live elsewhere and ask questions.
    -- Uwem Akpan

#Country #Writing #Other Cultures