Ethnicity quotes

• As a result of the awareness and consciousness of decline, an awareness and consciousness of a national ethnicity or an Islamic identity also came into being.
    -- Abdolkarim Soroush

#Islamic #Ethnicity #Identity

• The attacks in Jordan, just like those before it in Indonesia, Egypt, Spain and the United States, demonstrate that terrorism does not discriminate by race, ethnicity or region. Instead, terrorists indiscriminately target those seeking to live a peaceful, loving and free life.
    -- Allyson Schwartz

#Race #Egypt #Ethnicity

• In Sarajevo and in Syria, these are societies - in Bosnia, in Serbia, in Kosovo, in Syria - where ethnicities live side by side and intermarry for long periods of time until it becomes valuable to exploit the division. And yes, the division's there because you can always revert back to history, you can always inflame it, but it is manipulated for political ends.
    -- Anne-Marie Slaughter

#Ethnicity #Long #Thought Provoking

• I have always let the lack of Indian actors in the industry drive me, not hold me back. I remember an agent in L.A. telling me a few years ago that an Indian actor wouldn't ever make it in Hollywood, but my ethnicity has helped me.
    -- Archie Panjabi

#Ethnicity #Years #Hollywood

• Sometimes my ethnicity is relevant, other times not. I definitely get the best of both worlds.
    -- Archie Panjabi

#Ethnicity #World #Sometimes

• All too often we think of community in terms of being with folks like ourselves: the same class, same race, same ethnicity, same social standing and the like..I think we need to be wary: we need to work against the danger of evoking something that we don’t challenge ourselves to actually practice.
    -- Bell Hooks

#Thinking #Race #Ethnicity

• I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves. I don't care whether it's ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, or whose ox is being gored.
    -- Betty White

#Thinking #Ethnicity #Laughing

• After Zorro, people spoke Spanish to me for ages. I'm Welsh but that movie instantly gave me a new ethnicity.
    -- Catherine Zeta-Jones

#Ethnicity #People #Age

• I hope to see more programming, more shows, more actors of mixed ethnicity, more young kids of mixed ethnicity choosing to be in the entertainment industry.
    -- Charles Michael Davis

#Kids #Ethnicity #Actors

• What a country needs to do is be fair to all its citizens - whether people are of a different ethnicity or gender.
    -- Chinua Achebe

#Country #Ethnicity #People

• Every American deserves to live in freedom, to have his or her privacy respected and a chance to go as far as their ability and effort will take them - regardless of race, gender, ethnicity or economic circumstances.
    -- Christopher Dodd

#Race #Ethnicity #Effort

• The essence of America - that which really unites us - is not ethnicity, or nationality or religion - it is an idea - and what an idea it is: That you can come from humble circumstances and do great things.
    -- Condoleezza Rice

#Humble #Ethnicity #Essence

• I'm certainly proud to be Cuban American, and it's a fantastic opportunity for anybody - regardless of their ethnicity or nationality. It does carry a measure or pride to know where you're from and to know what your roots are.
    -- Danny Pino

#Pride #Opportunity #Ethnicity

• It isn't that it's questionable when you speak up for the right of people with different sexual orientation. People took some part of us and used it to discriminate against us. In our case, it was our ethnicity; it's precisely the same thing for sexual orientation. People are killed because they're gay.
    -- Desmond Tutu

#Gay #Ethnicity #People

• Hate has no place in the house of God. No one should be excluded from our love, our compassion or our concern because of race or gender, faith or ethnicity - or because of their sexual orientation.
    -- Desmond Tutu

#Hate #Compassion #Ethnicity

• I don’t want to make an incremental change in some technology in my life. I want to create a whole new technology, and one that is aimed at helping humanity at all levels regardless of geography or ethnicity or age or gender.
    -- Elizabeth Holmes

#Technology #Ethnicity #Humanity

• Ethnicity should enrich us; it should make us a unique people in our diversity and not be used to divide us.
    -- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf

#Life #Unique #Ethnicity

• Freedom is partial to no race. Freedom has no religion. Freedom favors no ethnicity. Freedom discriminates not between rich and poor countries. Inevitably freedom will overwhelm Ethiopia.
    -- Eskinder Nega

#Country #Race #Ethnicity

• Conventional names define a person's past: ancestry, ethnicity, nationality, religion. I am not who I was ten years ago and certainly not who I will be in twenty years
    -- FM-2030

#Past #Ethnicity #Years

• No one should ever be locked away simply because they share the same race, ethnicity, or religion as a spy or terrorist. If that principle was not learned from the internment of Japanese Americans, then these are very dangerous times for our democracy.
    -- Fred Korematsu

#Race #Ethnicity #Democracy

• It's not even about black and white anymore, because so many people are from mixed backgrounds and mixed ethnicities, and it's just a great time to be able to pull all that together.
    -- George Lopez

#Black And White #Ethnicity #People

• I will be a president of all Bulgarians, irrespective of their ethnicity, religion or political affiliations.
    -- Georgi Parvanov

#Ethnicity #Political #President

• I am suggesting that there is, and always has been, a rather high correlation between ethnicity and occupation/economic role throughout the various time-space zones of historical capitalism.
    -- Immanuel Wallerstein

#Space #Ethnicity #Historical

• So much were employers of wage-labor unenthusiastic about proletarianization that, in addition to fostering the gender age division of labor, they also encouraged, in their employment patters and through their influence in the political arena, recognition of defined ethnic groups, seeking to link them to specific allocated roles in the labor-force, with different levels of real remuneration for their work. Ethnicity created a cultural crust which consolidated the patterns of semi-proletarian household structures.
    -- Immanuel Wallerstein

#Real #Ethnicity #Political

• Most of my life I was occupied with American television and American food. My ethnicity was my choice. It still is
    -- Isaac Mizrahi

#Ethnicity #Choices #Television

• I voted 'yes' and I urge all Iraqis, no matter their different ethnicities and religions ... to vote 'yes' to the constitution
    -- Jalal Talabani

#Ethnicity #Different #Matter

• There are people who believe in expanding the welfare state across the spectrum of races and ethnicities and creeds.
    -- Jeb Bush

#Believe #Ethnicity #Race

• Not sure if that will benefit me or hurt me, but I know I have the skills and am ready to play in the NBA regardless of my ethnicity.
    -- Jeremy Lin

#Hurt #Ethnicity #Nba

• Eternal vigilance must be maintained to guard against those who seek to stifle ideas, establish a narrow orthodoxy, and divide our nation along arbitrary lines of race, ethnicity, and religious belief or non-belief.
    -- Jesse Ventura

#Religious #Race #Ethnicity

• Writers can write outside their ethnicity or sex depending how open and vulnerable they wish to be.
    -- Jim Harrison

#Sex #Writing #Ethnicity

• In the history of this country [USA], the reason we have never developed a social democratic base, the way they have in Europe - we're the only Western country without some kind of universal health care. There's a reason, and it is because corporate interests have divided the American people by race and ethnicity, the Irish from the blacks, the Germans from the German Jews.
    -- Joan Walsh Anglund

• Do not allow your sorrow or your rage to become hostility toward people on the basis of their ethnicity or their religious views. That is unacceptable; it is out of bounds, and if you break the law, we will prosecute you for it.
    -- John Ashcroft

#Religious #Views #Ethnicity

• Science is an enterprise that can only flourish if it puts the truth ahead of nationality, ethnicity, class and color.
    -- John Charles Polanyi

#Science #Ethnicity #Color

• All human beings bear God's image and must be respected for what each person is. Therefore, no external description of one's being, whether based on race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation, can properly be used as the basis for either rejection or discrimination.
    -- John Shelby Spong

#Respect #Race #Ethnicity

• You ask people what their ethnicity is, and a lot of Scots-Irish people either don't know or if they know it they just don't acknowledge it. It's not something they really identify with. They're just plain old Americans, plain vanilla. I don't think they are a self-conscious voting bloc.
    -- John Shelton Reed

#Thinking #Self #Ethnicity

• No matter the location of the build site, the religion, gender or ethnicity of the homeowners or volunteers, there is a sense of authentic community that links Habitat partners. It's exactly this kind of shared commitment that has sustained Habitat for three decades, and, similarly, it will be a renewed commitment that's necessary to meet the challenges ahead. I don't have to remind you that the need for decent housing is immense. Our tenacity is equally vast.
    -- Jonathan Reckford

#Commitment #Ethnicity #Volunteer

• America rests on shared values rather than shared ethnicity.
    -- Joseph Nye

#Ethnicity #America #Shared Values

• As an actor, you can play different age ranges and different ethnicities.
    -- Justin Chon

#Ethnicity #Play #Age

• In general, the auditions I go up for are very sparse, I guess because of my ethnicity. And the characters are very similar: shy, innocent and naive; the connotations that come from the way that I look.
    -- Katie Leung

#Character #Ethnicity #Shy

• Arthur Jay Klinghoffer, a professor of political science at Rutgers University, has argued that geography seems less relevant than ever in a world where nonstate actors -- malleable entities like ethnicities, for example -- are as powerful and important as the ones with governments and borders. Where on a map can you point to al-Qaeda? Or Google, or Wal-Mart? Everywhere and nowhere.
    -- Ken Jennings

#Powerful #Government #Ethnicity

• I do explicitly see Jewish people as a people - not either a religion or an ethnicity but a people.
    -- Ken Livingstone

#Ethnicity #People

• Fans of different races, castes, ethnicities and religions who together celebrate their diversity by uniting for a common national cause. They are my foundation, they are my family. I will play my cricket for them. Their spirit is the true spirit of cricket. With me are all my people. I am Tamil, Sinhalese, Muslim and Burgher. I am a Buddhist, a Hindu, a follower of Islam and Christianity. I am today, and always, proudly Sri Lankan
    -- Kumar Sangakkara

#Buddhist #Race #Ethnicity

• Whatever your ethnicity is, in this life you are going to be on a journey to discover who you are and how you feel about yourself.
    -- Lauren London

#Journey #Ethnicity #How You Feel

• There is an emergent enlightenment appearing today, unique to no particular culture or ethnicity. Anyone who chooses to be, is its conduit.
    -- Marianne Williamson

#Inspirational #Unique #Ethnicity

• Utopianism also attempts to shape and dominate the individual by doing two things at once: it strips the individual of his uniqueness, making him indistinguishable from the multitudes that form what is commonly referred to as 'the masses,' but it simultaneously assigns him a group identity based on race, ethnicity, age, gender, income, etc., to highlight differences within the masses.
    -- Mark Levin

#Race #Ethnicity #Two

• For some reason, people always assign high cheekbones to some ethnicity, but apparently by their regards, everybody on earth has high cheekbones. So I don't know if that matters.
    -- Mat Johnson

#Ethnicity #People #Earth

• I mean, there's plenty of artists who are making R&B music, but because of their ethnicity, it's considered something else.
    -- Miguel

#Mean #Artist #Ethnicity

• True equality means holding everyone accountable in the same way, regardless of race, gender, faith, ethnicity - or political ideology.
    -- Monica Crowley

#Mean #Race #Ethnicity

• Well, if there is a spectrum between ethnic and civic forms of nationalism, which is a rather schematic way of looking at it, all nationalism contains elements of both, but Scotland is very far on the civic end of the spectrum. That is partly because nobody has ever been stupid enough to say that Scotland is an ethnicity in a genetic sense. A kingdom of Scotland existed long before anybody talked of a Scottish people. So that is one thing we have been spared.
    -- Neal Ascherson

#Stupid #Ethnicity #Scotland

• It is not our diversity which divides us; it is not our ethnicity, or religion or culture that divides us. Since we have achieved our freedom, there can only be one division amongst us: between those who cherish democracy and those who do not.
    -- Nelson Mandela

#Ethnicity #Diversity #Democracy

• I think globalization actually maintains and fosters various elements of national and cultural identities. I don't think everything is being homogenized. If anything, your food, your culture, and your ethnicity might become part of the globalized world, and thus absorbed by other countries.
    -- Nouriel Roubini

#Country #Thinking #Ethnicity

• Television, I'm afraid, has isolated us more than race, class, or ethnicity.
    -- Paul Fleischman

#Ethnicity #Class #Race

• English is, from my point of view as an Americanist, an ethnicity. And English literature should be studied in Comparative Literature. And American literature should be a discipline, certainly growing from England and France, Germany, Spain, Denmark, and the Native traditions, particularly because those helped form the American canon. Those are our backgrounds. And then we'd be doing it the way it ought to be done. And someday I hope that it will be.
    -- Paula Gunn Allen

#Views #Ethnicity #Discipline

• In 1933-34, the Belgians conducted a census in order to issue ‘ethnic’ identity cards, which labelled every Rwandan as either Hutu (85%) of Tutsi (14%) or Twa (1%). The identity cards made it virtually impossible for Hutus to become Tutsis, and permitted the Belgians to perfect the administration of an apartheid system rooted in the myth of Tutsi superiority… Whatever Hutu and Tutsi identity may have stood for in the pre-colonial state no longer mattered; the Belgians had made ‘ethnicity’ the defining feature of Rwandan existence.
    -- Philip Gourevitch

#Ethnicity #Order #Issues

• Music has no borders, no race or color, no limits of country, no ethnicity. Music makes the people come together. Dance it,Dance all.
    -- Pope Benedict XVI

• Do not ghettoize society by putting people into legal categories of gender, race, ethnicity, language, or other such characteristics.
    -- Preston Manning

#Race #Ethnicity #People

• Not everybody is comfortable with my ethnicity. When I first came along in the business, they didnt really like the idea of my name being Raquel.
    -- Raquel Welch

#Ideas #Ethnicity #Names

• Everyone should be proud of who they are and where they come from because America is a big melting pot of diverse ethnicities. It's great to be part of this wonderful country.
    -- Rima Fakih

#Country #Ethnicity #America

• Feminism is for all women and girls, not a privileged few or one ethnicity, religion, age, sexual preference, ability, region or hemisphere.
    -- Robin Morgan

#Girl #Ethnicity #Feminism

• You see the one thing I've always maintained is that I'm an American Indian. I'm not a Native American. I'm not politically correct. Everyone who's born in the Western Hemisphere is a Native American. We are all Native Americans. And if you notice, I put American before my ethnicity. I'm not a hyphenated African-American or Irish-American or Jewish-American or Mexican-American.
    -- Russell Means

#Native American #Ethnicity #Mexican

• My Virgen de Guadalupe is not the mother of God. She is God. She is a face for a god without a face, an indigena for a god without ethnicity, a female deity for a god who is genderless, but I also understand that for her to approach me, for me to finally open the door and accept her, she had to be a woman like me.
    -- Sandra Cisneros

#Mother #Ethnicity #Doors

• It's not racism per se but the tyranny of normalcy - no: the tyranny of attractive normalcy. Which leads to loveable white models who are supposed to be playing ordinary, adorably flawed professionals just like you and me with their brilliant minority friends (with vastly less camera time) who are surgeons. But it's not just ethnicity. That narrow vision also extends to, say, things like women leads. Women leads have to be good-hearted and nice, with a Slutty Best Friend. The main character can't be slutty. Because that's not attractively normal etc
    -- Sandra Tsing Loh

#Nice #Character #Ethnicity

• Gender, race, ethnicity – these are all morally neutral. But homosexuality is – involves voluntary sexual conduct with serious public health, social, sociological implications. It’s not irrational to discriminate on that basis.
    -- Scott Lively

#Ethnicity #Race #Serious

• The criminal justice system should have the authority to determine the immigration status of all criminals, regardless of race or ethnicity, and report illegal immigrants who commit crimes to federal authorities.
    -- Susana Martinez

#Race #Ethnicity #Justice

• Capitalism knows only one color: that color is green; all else is necessarily subservient to it, hence, race, gender and ethnicity cannot be considered within it.
    -- Thomas Sowell

#Ethnicity #Color #Race

• American means white, and Africanist people struggle to make the term applicable to themselves with ethnicity and hyphen after hyphen after hyphen.
    -- Toni Morrison

#Struggle #Mean #Ethnicity

• Many Europeans are confused by the terms Roma and Romania. They wonder if it is an ethnicity or a nation of 22 million citizens.
    -- Traian Basescu

#Confused #Ethnicity #Citizens

• Only 4 sets of people can vote for the PDP: (1) those who are intellectually blind; (2) those who are blinded by ethnicity; (3) those who are blinded by corruption and therefore afraid of the unknown, should power change hands; and finally (4) those who are suffering from a combination of the above terminal sicknesses.
    -- Wole Soyinka

#Hands #Ethnicity #People

• Be wary of feeling as through there is not enough room at the table. Oftentimes a female Chinese-American might feel as through she is in competition with another Chinese-American woman writer of the same generation. A writer friend of mine calls it the "There Can Only Be One ..." syndrome. This isn't "Survivor." The more good writers, of all walks of life and all ethnicities and persuasions, the better.
    -- ZZ Packer

#Writing #Ethnicity #Competition

• Choose your friends and mates, not by the money in their bank account, creed, ethnicity, or color; instead, choose character, actions, heart, and soul. When we bleed, we bleed the same color.
    -- Ana Monnar

#Heart #Character #Ethnicity

• Being Latina in the US is something I'm learning about everyday. I don't feel inherently different in any way from anybody else and it is a feeling I cherish and that has helped me avoid thinking of my ethnicity as a potential obstacle from what I want to achieve.
    -- Andrea Suarez Paz

#Thinking #Ethnicity #Feelings

• Few things are more annoying than too many of any one ethnicity in the same room.
    -- Dov Davidoff

#Ethnicity #Rooms #Annoying

• I want to steer away from the stereotypes that Latina women are categorized in. I feel like there are so many more opportunities for us. I like going out for those roles that says open ethnicity.
    -- Emily Rios

#Opportunity #Ethnicity #Want

• There are many in East Asia who simply judge students on the basis of national tests. The top universities in the United States do not do that, and for good reason. We need a careful process for admissions that take all sorts of factors into account: different intellectual strengths, artistic expression, economic standing, social background, ethnicity, regional representation and designs a class as a balanced whole.
    -- Henry Rosovsky

#Expression #Ethnicity #Class

• Women are expected to identify gender as a starting point. Ethnicities are expected to identify that as a location. Is it ever possible for the artist to imagine a state of absolute freedom? That was my call to arms.
    -- Kehinde Wiley

#Artist #Ethnicity #Arms

• I do want to say, though, in terms of the people who are coming to see [Donald Trump], how thrilling it was to turn the corner and see people from entertainment, from the private sector, people of different races and ethnicities.
    -- Kellyanne Conway

#Race #Ethnicity #People

• Nevada is certainly more representative of what the entire country looks like demographically, so you really are testing how these candidates are doing across ethnicities, across genders, across cultures.
    -- Lucy Flores

#Country #Ethnicity #Culture

• It's important to get a translator who will ask the questions in a sensitive and thoughtful way. Knowing the ethnicity issues, the tribal issues in some places...who your translator is can mean a lot.
    -- Peter Menzel

#Mean #Thoughtful #Ethnicity

• As far as ethnicity, you grow up being sensitive to things around you and then become more proactive about it.
    -- Prefuse 73

#Growing Up #Ethnicity #Sensitive

• People of different ethnicities are definitely not of differing species. Biologically speaking, people are people.
    -- Robert Paul Weston

#Ethnicity #People #Different

• When I first came to the U.S. - because I do accents and I've traveled the world. I have friends of almost every single ethnicity, and I would mimic them. And when I came to the U.S., I remember one day we're at "The Daily Show." And I mimicked my Chinese friend. And the guys at the show were like, oh, hey, don't ever do that again. That's really racist.
    -- Trevor Noah

#Ethnicity #Guy #Chinese

• Maurice Kenny stands at the forefront of his generation. Few writers of any ethnicity are destined to be remembered in the mainstream of literary history; I believe that Kenny's contributions as a poet are among those few. He writes from the center, as our Elders would say.
    -- Wendy Rose

#Believe #Writing #Ethnicity

• It's tough to get any movie made, but unless it's a movie about race or culture or ethnicity, it's becoming less and less important who's playing what. You see that on the big screen and the small screen, and I think that's great. That's exciting.
    -- Will Packer

#Thinking #Race #Ethnicity

• What people in Burma need is a democratic federal Burma that guarantees autonomy, rights and protection for all, regardless of ethnicity, gender, religion or race.
    -- Zoya Phan

#Rights #Race #Ethnicity

• I am 32-years-old, and diversity is working for me. I see a lot of change. You can't deny the revolution that is happening about body sizes. With social media and everything, everyone can get their voice out more. It puts a lot of pressure on the industry to do, give more spaces to different ethnicities or ages or sizes. I do feel like the change is happening. It might have just started, but I believe it's not going to end. It's just the beginning.
    -- Bianca Balti

#Believe #Media #Ethnicity

• We absolutely need diversity [in game designers]. And not just diversity of gender, but diversity of cultures, of ethnicity, of sexuality. If we want to reach beyond the audience we have we've got to bring in more players, and to bring in more players we've got to bring in people who might be able to reach those players.
    -- Brenda Romero

#Player #Ethnicity #Games

• The most significant moment will be when we stop referring to the hiring of qualified women (and racial, ethnic and religious minorities) as significant. In other words, when qualified people are hired without regard to race, gender, ethnicity, religious or other differentiating characteristics, that will be the most significant, indeed momentous, event of all.
    -- Amy Trask

#Religious #Race #Ethnicity

• What is crucial is the provision of opportunities for telling all the diverse stories, for interpreting membership as well as ethnicity, for making inescapable the braids of experience woven into the fabric of America's plurality.
    -- Maxine Greene

#Opportunity #Ethnicity #America

• I don’t want to make an incremental change in some technology in my life. I want to create a whole new technology, and one that is aimed at helping humanity at all levels regardless of geography or ethnicity or age or gender.
    -- Elizabeth Holmes

#Technology #Ethnicity #Humanity

• Human rights transcend local or ethnocentric values, conferring equal dignity and value on all humanity regardless of sex, ethnicity, sexual preference, or religion. It is in the West that human rights are most respected.
    -- Ibn Warraq

#Sex #Rights #Ethnicity

• Houston is kind of a melting pot. There are many different cultures and ethnicities represented out there.
    -- J. J. Watt

#Ethnicity #Different #Culture

• They said, OK, nine [Louis] Brandeis's is too much, but one is OK. So, with friends like that, and so forth. But, yes, the idea that because he was Jewish he would rule a particular way was an ugly undercurrent of the hearings, which resonates with current claims that a judge can't be impartial because of his or her background or ethnicity or race. It's, I guess, a small comfort that in the end the Brandeis vote wasn't close.
    -- Jeffrey Rosen

#Ideas #Race #Ethnicity

• For [Louis] Brandeis, you know, ethnicity and background are much less important than facts and reason. And he believes that far from wanting to efface our diversity of perspectives, we have to embrace it because that makes us more American, not less. In that sense, he's incredibly modern in an age of cultural pluralism. And it is disappointing for just the reasons you say that not everyone has embraced his pluralistic vision.
    -- Jeffrey Rosen

#Believe #Ethnicity #Diversity

• As countries appear and disappear, then I began to ask, what makes countries successful? And it turns out, after a long slog through geographies and ethnicities and all kinds of variables, it's the ability to adapt and adopt, what Darwin talked about.
    -- Juan Enriquez

#Country #Successful #Ethnicity