Hints quotes

• A lot of the questions that anyone would naturally have about their family, you'll get much of the answers for, or at least hints to where it will go, in the future.
    -- Adam Baldwin

#Hints #Answers

• My paintings are certainly nonobjective. They're just horizontal lines. There's not any hint of nature. And still everybody responds, I think.
    -- Agnes Martin

#Art #Thinking #Hints

• Had I been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe.
    -- Alfonso X of Castile

#Crazy #Hints #Creation

• We cannot be kind to each other here for even an hour. We whisper, and hint, and chuckle and grin at our brother's shame; however you take it we men are a little breed.
    -- Alfred Lord Tennyson

#Brother #Men #Hints

• Apart from blunt truth, our lives sink decadently amid the perfume of hints and suggestions.
    -- Alfred North Whitehead

#Life #Suggestions #Hints

• We've all fallen, but at the same time we're not broken. There is the hint that we are going to get up again.
    -- Amy Lee

#Broken #Hints #Fallen

• But at least if you hint and are rejected, the rejection is blurable rather than blistering. Whereas if you ask outright and are refused, the humiliation is as stark as a streaker on a football.
    -- Anna Maxted

#Football #Rejection #Hints

• He had not breathed a word of love, or dropped one hint of tenderness or affection, and yet I had been supremely happy. To be near him, to hear him talk as he did talk, and to feel that he thought me worthy to be so spoken to - capable of understanding and duly appreciating such discourse - was enough.
    -- Anne Bronte

#Appreciate #Understanding #Hints

• The fact of storytelling hints at a fundamental human unease, hints at human imperfection. Where there is perfection there is no story to tell.
    -- Ben Okri

#Perfection #Hints #Stories

• Ladies, here's a hint. If you're up against a girl with big boobs, bring her to the net and make her hit backhand volleys. That's the hardest shot for the well-endowed.
    -- Billie Jean King

#Girl #Tennis #Hints

• As a child I felt myself to be alone, and I am still, because I know things and must hint at things which others apparently know nothing of, and for the most part do not want to know.
    -- Carl Jung

#Inspirational #Children #Hints

• I can only give you some hints. You have to place him in a situation where your advantages are magnified.
    -- Christopher Pike

#Giving #Hints #Advantage

• The things we worry about the most are the hints we trust God with the least.
    -- Craig Groeschel

#Worry #Hints #Trust In God

• The manlier you are, the harder it is to understand what a woman wants: there is not a hint of female brain in you.
    -- Criss Jami

#Brain #Female #Hints

• And I add this part here, to hint to whoever shall read it, that whenever they come to a true Sense of things, they will find Deliverance from Sin a much greater Blessing than Deliverance from Affliction.
    -- Daniel Defoe

#Blessing #Add #Hints

• I get weary of the European habit of taking our money, resenting any slight hint as to what they should do, and then assuming, in addition, full right to criticize us as bitterly as they may desire.
    -- Dwight D. Eisenhower

#Desire #Hints #May

• Your soul: pure glucose edged with hints Of tentative and half-soiled tints
    -- Edith Sitwell

#Soul #Hints #Half

• Traveling to swimming meets took me beyond my small-town existence, gave me a hint of the exciting world outside of my own home.
    -- Esther Williams

#Home #Swimming #Hints

• The mystic cannot wholly do without symbol and image, inadequate to his vision though they must always be: for his experience must be expressed if it is to be communicated, and its actuality is inexpressible except in some hint or parallel which will stimulate the dormant intuition of the reader.
    -- Evelyn Underhill

#Intuition #Vision #Hints

• You’re a peach full of poison, you know that?" Mosca snapped back, but could not quite keep a hint of admiration from her tone.
    -- Frances Hardinge

#Poison #Hints #Peaches

• Should I pull on a shirt?" he asked with hint of amusement. I WILL NOT BLUSH. "No." He'd be doing the world a favor if he never wore a shirt again, but I wasn't going to tell him that part. "You're fine.
    -- Gena Showalter

#Hints #World #Amusement

• There is great exhilaration in breaking one of these things. ... Ramanujan gives no hints, no proof of his formulas, so everything you do you feel is your own.[About verifying Ramanujan's equations in a newly found manuscript.]
    -- George Andrews

#Science #Giving #Hints

• But how little we know what would make paradise for our neighbours! We judge from our own desires, and our neighbours themselves are not always open enough even to throw out a hint of theirs.
    -- George Eliot

#Judging #Desire #Hints

• The "germ," wherever gathered, has ever been for me, "the germ of a story," and most of the stories strained to shape under my hand have sprung from a single small seed, a seed as remote and windblown as a casual hint.
    -- Henry James

#Hands #Germs #Hints

• Professed authors who overestimate their vocation are too full of themselves to be agreeable companions. The demands of their egotism are inveterate. They seem to be incapable of that abandon which is the requisite condition of social pleasure; and bent upon winning a tribute of admiration, or some hint which they can turn to the account of pen-craft, there is seldom in their company any of the delightful unconsciousness which harmonizes a circle.
    -- Henry Theodore Tuckerman

#Winning #Circles #Hints

• For me, fishing and journalism touched the same places in my head. In comparison with that of poets, the fly fishers' and the journalists' experiences are probably pale flavors, but they carry nonetheless a hint of ambrosia.
    -- Howell Raines

#Fishing #Hints #Flavor

• Statistics were magic like this: they could tell you with near-certainty that a thing would occur, without a hint of when or where.
    -- Hugh Howey

#Magic #Hints #Statistics

• I've got a gig," Jim said. I sat up in my bed, wide-awake. A gig was good- I needed the money. "Half." "Third." "Half." "Thirty-five percent." Jim's voice hardened. "Half." The phone went silent as my former Guild partner mulled it over. "Okay, forty." I hung up.(...) The phone rang. I let it ring twice before I picked it up. "Fine." Jim's voice had a hint of a snarl in it. "Half.
    -- Ilona Andrews

#Voice #Phones #Hints

• He was the soul of politeness to everyone -- to some with a hint of aversion, to others with a hint of respect.
    -- Ivan Turgenev

#Soul #Hints #Aversion

• I told my girlfriend that a praying mantis female eats its mate after copulation. She didn't take the hint.
    -- James Floyd

#Girlfriend #Female #Hints

• All those hints and glimpses of a larger and more satisfying democracy, which literature and our own hopes supply, have a tendency to slip away from us and to leave us sadly unguided and perplexed when we attempt to act upon them.
    -- Jane Addams

#Democracy #Glimpse #Hints

• A hint of a frown touched his mouth. “I told you that wasn’t about feeding.” “No, it was about you making your point.” I skewered a bite and chewed. “Next time, maybe use something other than my jugular as your Exhibit A?
    -- Jeaniene Frost

#Hints #Use #Mouths

• Christlike love is the greatest need we have on this planet... So if love is to be our watchword, as it must be, them by the word of Him who is love personified, we must forsake transgression and any hint of advocacy for it in others.
    -- Jeffrey R. Holland

#Love Is #Needs #Hints

• Not that the moderns are born with more wit than their predecessors, but, finding the world better furnished at their coming into it, they have more leisure for new thoughts, more light to direct them, and more hints to work upon.
    -- Jeremy Collier

#Light #Culture #Hints

• An important fact to remember is that all natural diets, including purely vegetarian diets without a hint of dairy products, contain amounts of calcium that are above the treshold for meeting your nutritional needs....In fact,calcium deficiency caused by an insufficient amount if calcium in the diet is not known to occur in humans.
    -- John A. McDougall

#Important #Needs #Hints

• The Encyclopedia Britannica, 15th edition, devotes 20,000 words to the person of Jesus Christ and never once hints that He didn't exist.
    -- John Ankerberg

#Jesus #Hints #Christ

• An outline is crucial. It saves so much time. When you write suspense, you have to know where you're going because you have to drop little hints along the way. With the outline, I always know where the story is going. So before I ever write, I prepare an outline of 40 or 50 pages.
    -- John Grisham

#Writing #Suspense #Hints

• The nature of the place...whether high or low, moist or dry, whether sloping north or south, or bearing tall trees or low shrubs...generally gives hint as to its inhabitants.
    -- John James Audubon

#Giving #Tree #Hints

• Thoughts there are, that need no embodying, no form, no expression. It is enough to hint at them vaguely; a word, and they are heard and seen.
    -- Joseph Joubert

#Expression #Needs #Hints

• Of this our true individual life, our present life is a glimpse, a fragment, a hint, and in its best moments a visible beginning.
    -- Josiah Royce

#Glimpse #Hints #Life Is

• Nobody likes to have trouble. The moment we get a hint that it's coming, a common response is, 'Oh no! Not again!'
    -- Joyce Meyer

#Hints #Likes #Common

• We women aren't good at hints. We like solid declarations of love and forever.
    -- Jude Deveraux

#Forever #Hints #Declaration

• In every life there is a turning point. A moment so tremendous, so sharp and clear that one feels as if one's been hit in the chest, all the breath knocked out, and one knows, absolutely knows without the merest hint of a shadow of a doubt that one's life will never be the same.
    -- Julia Quinn

#Doubt #Shadow #Hints

• I want to build spires in their minds and dance shadows through like marionettes, chased by whispers and hints of the unspeakable.
    -- Laini Taylor

#Mind #Shadow #Hints

• Christophe's smile was a marvel of edged sweetness. When he grinned like that he looked handsomer than ever, the hint of danger just about threatening to stop a girl's heart.
    -- Lilith Saintcrow

#Girl #Heart #Hints

• What shall I say? I must tread a fine line between glaciosity and friendlinosity. With just a hint of 'you don't know what you are missing, my fine-feathered friend.
    -- Louise Rennison

#Missing #Hints #Lines

• Like all art, poems are only hints and guesses that draw our attention to something larger.
    -- Luci Shaw

#Art #Attention #Hints

• Which of course is followed by: For those who have Awareness, a hint is quite enough. For the multitudes of heedless mere knowledge is useless. Haji Bektash Veli We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.
    -- Marcel Proust

#Spiritual #Journey #Hints

• Even the cry from the depths is an affirmation: Why cry if there is no hint of hope of hearing?
    -- Martin E. Marty

#Hints #Hearing #Depth

• The sexual deviance - I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss that; but we do have hints of it but in a more psychological way and therefore more human way, arguably. Or certainly to the extent that the animated series takes that sexuality.
    -- Marton Csokas

#Lying #Missing #Hints

• In terms of their basic biochemical design....no living system can be thought of as being primitive or ancestral with respect to any other system, nor is there the slightest empirical hint of an evolutionary sequence among all the incredibly diverse cells on earth.
    -- Michael Denton

#Cells #Design #Hints

• He whose genius appears deepest and truest excels his fellows in nothing save the knack of expression; he throws out occasionally a lucky hint at truths of which every human soul is profoundly though unutterably conscious.
    -- Nathaniel Hawthorne

#Expression #Soul #Hints

• Charlie X”)? Those were the hints, as far as I’m concerned.
    -- Nichelle Nichols

#Hints #Charlie #Concerned

• When you do television, you have this opportunity to drop these subtle hints everywhere. The way you say things, for example, sometimes those seeds turn into trees.
    -- Norman Reedus

#Opportunity #Tree #Hints

• I want to give the audience a hint of a scene. No more than that. Give them too much and they won't contribute anything themselves. Give them just a suggestion and you get them working with you. That's what gives the theater meaning: when it becomes a social act.
    -- Orson Welles

#Giving #Theatre #Hints

• Yes, well," said his da with a hint of a grow that told him just how worried Bran had been about him, "that'll teach you to dodge a bit quicker next time." "Sorry," he apologized meekly as he sat in the passenger seat. "Good," said Bran, shutting the door gently. "Don't let it happen again." -Bran and Charles
    -- Patricia Briggs

#Sorry #Doors #Hints

• A first hint of the power of the electronic media to bring disaster directly into living rooms came with the radio broadcast of the explosion of the zeppelin "Hindenburg," in 1937 . . .
    -- R. W. Apple

#Media #Hindenburg #Hints

• Sitting by the chimney corner as we grow old, the commonest things around us take on live meanings and hint at the difference between these driving times and the calm, slow moving days when we were young.
    -- Rebecca Harding Davis

#Moving On #Differences #Hints

• Don't even the best and most fortunate of lives hint at other possibilities, at a different kind of sweetness and, yes, bitterness too? Isn't this why we can't help feeling cheated, even when we know we haven't been?
    -- Richard Russo

#Feelings #Different #Hints

• Nature is always hinting at us. It hints over and over again. And suddenly we take the hint.
    -- Robert Frost

#Nature #Hints

• Nature is my main source of inspiration - I will never stop taking hints from what I call 'the greatest artist'
    -- Roberto Cavalli

#Inspiration #Artist #Hints

• A few hints as to literary craftsmanship may be useful to budding historians. First and foremost, get writing!
    -- Samuel Eliot Morison

#Writing #Hints #May

• If I could eat only one thing for the rest of my life, it would be rhubarb fool, which I make with ginger and a hint of elderflower cordial.
    -- Sebastian Faulks

#Fool #Would Be #Hints

• It is very dangerous to go into eternity with possibilities which one has oneself prevented from becoming realities. A possibility is a hint from God. One must follow it.
    -- Soren Kierkegaard

#Reality #Vision #Hints

• A possibility is a hint from God. One must follow it.
    -- Soren Kierkegaard

#Vision #Hints #Possibility

• Talk of the imperial decay of your invalid port. Its gracious withdrawal from perfection, keeping a hint of former majesty withal, as it hovers between oblivion and the divine Untergang of infinite recession.
    -- Stephen Potter

#Perfection #Hints #Decay

• When doing what we most love transforms us into the best possible version of ourselves and that version hints at even greater future possibilities, the urge to explore those possibilities becomes feverish compulsion. Intrinsic motivation goes through the roof. Thus flow becomes an alternative path to mastery, sans the misery.
    -- Steven Kotler

#Motivation #Alternatives #Hints

• A skittish motorbike with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on earth, because of its logical extension of our faculties, and the hint, the provocation, to excess conferred by its honeyed untiring smoothness.
    -- T. E. Lawrence

#Animal #Blood #Hints

• Hint at the existence of wickedness in a light, easy, and agreeable manner, so that nobody's fine feelings may be offended.
    -- William Makepeace Thackeray

#Light #Feelings #Hints

• Autumn is a hint from God to Old Age.
    -- Austin O'Malley

#Autumn #Age #Hints

• For me, one of the really cool things about this is that throughout these movies, there have been - and I enjoyed it this way - hints at what S.H.I.E.L.D. is and how they function within this Marvel movie universe which, as you know, is deeply based in the comic books.
    -- Clark Gregg

#Book #Hints #Way

• I'm drawn to fiction that hints at nonfiction, that blurs or seems to blur the boundaries between invention and autobiography.
    -- Garth Greenwell

#Nonfiction #Hints #Boundaries

• I have to put myself back in the audience's shoes and figure out what they would know and not know. But, there are also times when I do know what's coming up and I maybe need to hint at it, though not in a big way. It's a little bit of both. It's an interesting tightrope to walk.
    -- Joseph Trapanese

#Shoes #Interesting #Hints

• I cut hundreds of pages from my book because I felt myself being reiterative or redundant. Sometimes I wanted to leave just hints of things.
    -- Leni Zumas

#Book #Cutting #Hints

• Photographs freed from the scientific bias can, and indeed usually do, have double meanings, implied meanings, unintended meanings, can hint and insinuate, and may even mean the opposite of what they apparently mean.
    -- Peter C Bunnell

#Mean #Opposites #Hints

• Charlie X”)? Those were the hints, as far as I’m concerned.
    -- Nichelle Nichols

#Hints #Concerned #Charlie

• For nearly two centuries, scholars and politicians have debated the future of capitalism. Its critics, most prominent among them Karl Marx, have seen capitalism as intrinsically unstable, full of contradictions that will lead eventually to its collapse. Its supporters see it as the best way to allocate resources and rewards. Some even hint that the democratic capitalistic society is not just a phase in the historical evolution of economic systems but its ultimate end.
    -- Raghuram Rajan

#Two #Historical #Hints

• There are plenty of things in vaults that didn't sell in its time. So much stuff. But slowly these companies start to get a hint that these things have some value.
    -- Devendra Banhart

#Hints #Stuff #Vaults

• I love to make music that makes people feel mood-enhancing, life-affirming brilliance but I just make whatever comes out at the time and sometimes it's up and sometimes it down and sometimes it sideways with a hint of s smile.
    -- Eliza Doolittle

#People #Hints #Down And

• Trivial facts are often the best hints to what is going on.
    -- John Roberts

#Society #Hints #Facts

• My music has a little hint of down south but I don't have a down south accent. I guess it's just the beat selection that puts me in a down south mind frame.
    -- King Louie

#Mind #Hints #Littles